AM interview at K State

lo country

1 hour ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

What's alarming to me is even with AM being severely limited with his jaw wired & rubber banded together to keep it in place and having a high ankle sprain was that none of our backups were considered to be better choices play. That alone tells me where the QB room was and how much of an epic fail QB recruiting/development was subsequent to landing AM in year one of HCSF's regime.

That's not true though...we saw with our own eyes that Smothers is a capable QB and the common denominator, Frost, has us fair catch at the 6 and pass out of the endzone....same as with Martinez. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

You could see he was throwing lame ducks in that game. That's completely on the coaching staff. Martinez didn't earn the right to do anything....given the choice, he would play every time. Frost earned the right to be fired on the spot.

You can call them lame ducks (subjective), I would call it the best passing performance by yardage against Wisconsin in 2021 by 98 yards (objective). I also did not see anything from Smothers in his limited time that would suggest he would've done better against Wisconsin specifically. I can definitely see an argument against Minnesota or Purdue. 

4 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

You can call them lame ducks (subjective), I would call it the best passing performance by yardage against Wisconsin in 2021 by 98 yards (objective). I also did not see anything from Smothers in his limited time that would suggest he would've done better against Wisconsin specifically. I can definitely see an argument against Minnesota or Purdue. 

The people I was watching with were impressed how well Martinez could throw considering he was obviously injured. From what I saw against Iowa, I think Smothers would've done fine.....but they still probably would've found a way to choke away the game....hike it to the wrong team, run punt return backwards, something...

19 hours ago, Hayseed said:

That's not true though...we saw with our own eyes that Smothers is a capable QB and the common denominator, Frost, has us fair catch at the 6 and pass out of the endzone....same as with Martinez. 

If you think smothers was capable you are wrong. His first half performance against Iowa and the resulting 2nd half after Iowa made their adjustments is indicative of what every defense would have done against him. He is just too much one dimensional in this offense. Nothing against him but no quarterback was likely to look better than an injured AM with that line and lack of running game. 

24 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Apparently not capable enough to replace a QB with a broken jaw and sprained ankle in the eyes of the coaching staff.

That was really the story most of AM's career.  Injured and rarely replaced with the back up.  The offensive staff was a joke. The complete inability to develop any depth and at times any definitive starters. I would blame Smothers lack of perceived potential success on  little to no development than I would on his lack of abilities.  

I think a lot of players will look better across the board and at all offensive positions with a new staff.  To win this season, they will have to......

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
18 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

I don’t see anyway this staff isn’t better at developing talent. The last staff was completely inept in that department 

I hope you are right and you may be right but I’ve learned over the last several years that thinking things will get better simply because they have been so bad (can’t get worse) doesn’t pan out too well. Apparently things can always get worse :dunno

• Plus1 4

Statistically speaking: AM is going to a worse team. 

KSU played a decent schedule but had 600 less yards and played 1 more game. Nebraska held the edge in both rushing and passing yards. 

We all know Nebraska was mind numbingly close in many games, which is why we look better statistically, or at least comparable to an 8-5 team. 

Just don’t think this is a slam dunk for AM. Dude has a history of shoulder injuries. Combine that with an already streaky arm; will be facinating to follow. 

He was a great ambassador, so I hope it

works out for him. Now that he’s said his piece, will gladly enjoy him not talking about Nebraska anymore :)

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, VizionNE said:

Just don’t think this is a slam dunk for AM. Dude has a history of shoulder injuries. Combine that with an already streaky arm; will be facinating to follow. 

He said he has no timetable to return to the field except in order to get ready to play in the fall. Is that normal? Someone suggested he could be a medical redshirt this fall - so his response in the interview with KSU media struck my curiosity of his return to the practice field. 

EDIT: Just listened to it. Didn't say a ton about AM. Mostly said they looked at a lot of older guys to bring in, thought he was a good fit. Klieman worked with Frost and Verduzco at Northern Iowa, so he had that connection. 

Edited by GSG
  • 2 weeks later...