AM interview at K State

lo country

Stolen from another site:  https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s2-e1-adrian-martinez-on-why-he-left-nebraska-after-3-9-season/id1567909834?i=1000551130263
High-Level Summary:

• Broke his jaw on the first drive of the Michigan State game. His life sucked afterward. Drinking steak through a straw. Felt like if they would've won that game their season would've been completely different... said "we're basically the same team." He'd never say bad things, but def salty vibes from the special teams snafu.
  • Michigan game was the most fun he's had playing in a football game. Thinks Aidan Hutchinson is impressive, but not THAT impressive. Ref told him after the fumble that he didn't know why no one blew the play dead, but it's not reviewable.
  • Poor locker room energy in the Purdue game, although he doesn't attribute the loss to that.
  • Got a high ankle sprain 4 days before the Minnesota game. That impacted the overall game plan, and he thinks it made a discernable difference.
  • VERY salty that Frost/ Gus Johnson spilled the beans on his broken jaw after the Ohio State game. He wanted the ability to tell that story himself. A lot of his family members didn't even know. Said he didn't think it was appropriate.
  • He feels responsible for Verdu getting fired. High tensions with Frost after the firings. Overall, said he did a good job explaining things, but it's a tough position. Some people understood, some people didn't.
  • Injured his shoulder/ labrum in the Wisconsin game right before the end of the first half. The second half was tough but still had a decent showing. Blamed his INT on the injury and wanted to get surgery ASAP after the game to save his NFL prospects.
  • He did test the NFL waters as part of his decision to leave NU. Made the decision to transfer to bolster his NFL prospects.
  • Needed a new opportunity, new scenery, new challenge.
  • Lots of love. Gave examples of security people hugging him, wishing him well, etc. He claims Frost wanted him to stay.
  • Coming back just didn't feel right. Too much baggage. The relationship had naturally concluded. Better for both him and Frost.
  • All the NU socials unfollowed him immediately lol.
  • Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

On the official social media accounts unfollowing him, are they allowed to follow athletes at other universities? That seems like a weird thing to be offended by (and he didn't seem offended but definitely surprised), once you're a student athlete at another school it would be weird for them to continue following him IMO. 

It was a good listen, you can tell it's still a little filtered but a lot clearer than he can be in the season. Was complimentary of Frost at the end and sounded like there wasn't real bad blood per say, but reading between the lines I think AM was pretty pissed that Verdu was let go. And he mentioned some guys being ok with coaches gone and others being upset, fair to say Jurgens was probably one of the latter. And I bet "he wasn't happy about it" is a pretty big understatement on Frost's attitude about some of the guys leaving. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Stolen from another site:  https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s2-e1-adrian-martinez-on-why-he-left-nebraska-after-3-9-season/id1567909834?i=1000551130263
High-Level Summary:

• Broke his jaw on the first drive of the Michigan State game. His life sucked afterward. Drinking steak through a straw. Felt like if they would've won that game their season would've been completely different... said "we're basically the same team." He'd never say bad things, but def salty vibes from the special teams snafu.
  • Michigan game was the most fun he's had playing in a football game. Thinks Aidan Hutchinson is impressive, but not THAT impressive. Ref told him after the fumble that he didn't know why no one blew the play dead, but it's not reviewable.
  • Poor locker room energy in the Purdue game, although he doesn't attribute the loss to that.
  • Got a high ankle sprain 4 days before the Minnesota game. That impacted the overall game plan, and he thinks it made a discernable difference.
  • VERY salty that Frost/ Gus Johnson spilled the beans on his broken jaw after the Ohio State game. He wanted the ability to tell that story himself. A lot of his family members didn't even know. Said he didn't think it was appropriate.
  • He feels responsible for Verdu getting fired. High tensions with Frost after the firings. Overall, said he did a good job explaining things, but it's a tough position. Some people understood, some people didn't.
  • Injured his shoulder/ labrum in the Wisconsin game right before the end of the first half. The second half was tough but still had a decent showing. Blamed his INT on the injury and wanted to get surgery ASAP after the game to save his NFL prospects.
  • He did test the NFL waters as part of his decision to leave NU. Made the decision to transfer to bolster his NFL prospects.
  • Needed a new opportunity, new scenery, new challenge.
  • Lots of love. Gave examples of security people hugging him, wishing him well, etc. He claims Frost wanted him to stay.
  • Coming back just didn't feel right. Too much baggage. The relationship had naturally concluded. Better for both him and Frost.
  • All the NU socials unfollowed him immediately lol.

I'm halfway through it right now- that michigan st jaw comment made me cringe and realize how s#!tty thats gotta be.

Couple things tho that just irritate the f out of me is the michigan game comment and purdue.

That play probably shoulda been called dead against michigan, and if 2AM didnt struggle with turnovers id prolly be livid about it, but it just seemed like another example of a head-scratching outcome in a pivotal game situation that seemed to be his thing more often than not.

The purdue comment just epitomizes my frustration with this progrum and its mind boggling why this is an issue.  We've lost 3 out of the past 4 games to purdue, why the f are we not showing up wanting to deliver some payback?  Its befuddling why this progrum continues to sleep walk through a handful of games against lesser competition, I dont get it.  

I think 2am was a gamer and a great ambassador off the field for this progrum, but there's just this odd disconnect of where he stands as a leader on the field and locker-room.  I sincerely hope some of the transfers we brought in, namely at qb, represent a major upgrade on keeping fellow players accountable and being consistent with their own high level play because not once did I witness this from 2am during his 4 years

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Enjoyed the podcast.  Really surprised that the Nebraska Administration would stop following AM on social media.  Why would our Administration unfollow an act like this guy.  Just fascinating.  

That is what happens when you break up. Nothing personal. Just gotta move on and dedicate your time and energy to those around you. They could have went out and bashed him on social media, but they didn’t have any reason too. Mutual break up. Beat of luck to both parties. 

5 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

That is what happens when you break up. Nothing personal. Just gotta move on and dedicate your time and energy to those around you. They could have went out and bashed him on social media, but they didn’t have any reason too. Mutual break up. Beat of luck to both parties. 

lol, i thought about the bolded happening in real life and man that would be a horrendous look by the university and equally comical thinking about how that would play out.  

2 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

I'm halfway through it right now- that michigan st jaw comment made me cringe and realize how s#!tty thats gotta be.

Couple things tho that just irritate the f out of me is the michigan game comment and purdue.

That play probably shoulda been called dead against michigan, and if 2AM didnt struggle with turnovers id prolly be livid about it, but it just seemed like another example of a head-scratching outcome in a pivotal game situation that seemed to be his thing more often than not.

The purdue comment just epitomizes my frustration with this progrum and its mind boggling why this is an issue.  We've lost 3 out of the past 4 games to purdue, why the f are we not showing up wanting to deliver some payback?  Its befuddling why this progrum continues to sleep walk through a handful of games against lesser competition, I dont get it.  

I think 2am was a gamer and a great ambassador off the field for this progrum, but there's just this odd disconnect of where he stands as a leader on the field and locker-room.  I sincerely hope some of the transfers we brought in, namely at qb, represent a major upgrade on keeping fellow players accountable and being consistent with their own high level play because not once did I witness this from 2am during his 4 years

Low locker room energy against Purdue.  SMH. That’s when you know if you have good team leaders or great team leaders.  

• Plus1 6

@teachercdThanks for the link.  Some good stuff.  

"They numbed me with lidocaine and like cranked the screws into my mouth, pressing down, and they went right into the gums," he said. "In between the teeth because they didn’t want to hit on the roots so it wouldn't be too painful, but they’d have to get re-tightened every week or so."

That way he could talk, including with reporters. He called it part of the "ruse" to keep the extent of the injury under wraps that he took the rubber bands off before news conferences after games and on Mondays during the season. 

The break in his jaw displaced the bone enough that Martinez said his mouth still doesn't open and close the way it did before the injury and it may never. When head coach Scott Frost confirmed the break on Nov. 6 after the Huskers lost to Ohio State, he said he felt comfortable saying it in part because after the upcoming bye week, Martinez would be fully healed. Martinez said he was told the full fusion of his jaw back into place will take 5-6 months and it's still something he takes care to pay attention to today. 

What if AM won the Heisman this year........That'd be some crazy sh!t.

image.png