***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2022***

suh_fan93

3 hours ago, admo said:

I thought the defense wore black shirts in all the practices for a reason.... and it became legendary.  Well, that's how I thought the story goes. 

This year's defense should be fine.  Could become great with 14-17pt leads.

:throwdabones1:

legend is, that I know…a trainer was sent out to get different colored practice jerseys for the defense, came back with black. Threw them on all the men on the starting defense so they could call them The 1s. 

turns out, that defense was so solid and dominated all year, you could only be called a 1 if you earned that Blackshirt, moving forward.
Was happenstance by origination but morphed into such a prideful gain within the defense, and the program at large, that anyone who could earn a Blackshirt was set apart from the others. 

Further myth of the (by now) well-known Blackshirt saga tells that around the 84-85 season a man copied a Rat-Poison canister with the death warning graphic to humans…a ‘Skull n Bones’ on the rat poison can underneath a Husker helmet. This identified the Legend of the Blackshirts with the official “Skull N Bones” symbol together, forever.

The man hung a giant flag in the end zone during a a game with no authorization. One single picture, much like Ali over Frazier, made the Legend of Blackshirts (black practice jerseys) synonymous with the destructive Defenses (and the death symbol, Skull n Bones) that were coveted and feared across college football. Yet, revered and bled for across Cornhusker Nation. 
The symbols grew larger than the legend, what was once a hidden Club became a point of pride, and finally a talking point. The Blackshirt must regain it’s lore, it’s legend. What are symbols now, must become bloodshed and sacred again. To those that wear it:  

You wear the most dominant and undefined jersey  of all time, set apart with expectations and jealousy. Guard it, own it, represent it. 

if I’m wrong, fill in the blanks. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
On 8/11/2022 at 9:30 AM, The Dude said:

I think there will be times where the lack of JoJo Domann's presence will be noticable. 

But I think the biggest factor that will hold the defense together is the strong leadership.  An improved pass rush certainly can't hurt.

The first team def-line should play ok; the backups is what i need to see.   linemen cannot go full bore for many plays in a row and be super effective!

I'm actually kinda disappointed to hear that blackshirts aren't going to be handed out to you unless you have played a game for Nebraska first. So even if you played like a blackshirt in practice your not getting one until you play your first game. For me i think that is the wrong message to send to them. First off if they are doing everything right outside of football and everything right on the practice field why not hand them out?? I tend to think that by handing them to all the players before the first game actually can and will led to more success to win not during the season or certain players. To say certain players earn some and others have not to me seems crappy. If 12 members on the defense have blackshirts before the first game then it gives the team pride to hold on to them not to work harder to gain one. I think if 12 members of the defense have them as well then they play harder as one unit one group not having individualism. 

3 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I'm actually kinda disappointed to hear that blackshirts aren't going to be handed out to you unless you have played a game for Nebraska first. So even if you played like a blackshirt in practice your not getting one until you play your first game. For me i think that is the wrong message to send to them. First off if they are doing everything right outside of football and everything right on the practice field why not hand them out?? I tend to think that by handing them to all the players before the first game actually can and will led to more success to win not during the season or certain players. To say certain players earn some and others have not to me seems crappy. If 12 members on the defense have blackshirts before the first game then it gives the team pride to hold on to them not to work harder to gain one. I think if 12 members of the defense have them as well then they play harder as one unit one group not having individualism. 

I think you're confusing getting a blackshirt with being a captain.