***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2022***

suh_fan93

I believe the Blackshirts jerseys are not = to being a starter on defense.  You don’t have to be, technically a starter either though it is fairly unusual to have such.  

The Blackshirt awarded to defensive players (now and then a punter or kick returner I believe as well) is a high honor bestowed to those very special, extraordinary defenders who play at the highest level of defensive football commensurate with great Blackshirt defenders of Husker history.  It’s a very selective group.  I tend to think in some cases a shirt may be withheld for a time from a starter who, in the minds of the selectors, is not playing up to his potential.  A Blackshirt gives 110% effort and encourages others to do likewise as a great, proud teammate!  There can be more or less than 11 on a given team, at a given time during a season.   

I’ve never been a Blackshirt of course but having read and listened to many over the decades, I do believe this at least partially explains what it is to get and be a Husker Blackshirt.  

I always felt a similar type status symbol or insignia or something could be established for the offensive side too.  It’s much more than being a ‘letterman’ with an N to sew onto your school sweater or jacket, though those used to be a significant award to proudly display.  

Just my feelings.  Some real Blackshirts can better express it of course. But it’s a fraternal like club whose membership must be earned and deserved and is not given by default.  If you are a starter but not playing at a high enough level to be deserving, you won’t receive it. 

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Is Garrett Nelson technically a linebacker or did he do a position switch to defensive end?? I ask bc if I remember correctly he has always been a linebacker in a de role or does he play a hybrid position?

Outside linebacker, although that group is now described as 'edge'.

2 hours ago, Toe said:

Outside linebacker, although that group is now described as 'edge'.

Thank you Toe. So say he improves his play this year and turns into a NFL caliber player what position do you think teams would draft him???? I ask bc Nebraska tends to put guys in the best position to help the team but not necessarily the best position for the player. I could name several players that played q certain position for Nebraska only to turn around and not play that position in the NFL. I wonder why that is???

11 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Is Garrett Nelson technically a linebacker or did he do a position switch to defensive end?? I ask bc if I remember correctly he has always been a linebacker in a de role or does he play a hybrid position?

He's not big enough and/or quick enough to be a defensive end.  He's not athletic enough to be an outside linebacker (which includes short coverage in space, solid tackling on the perimeter, blitzing....).

He play edge tho.  Go Big Red!  :w00t

@Huskerfollower4life Eh, I wouldn't read too much into guys changing positions when they get to the next level. It's something that happens all over the place, both high schoolers when they get to college and college players when they get to the NFL. I mean Frost played defensive back in the NFL, do you think that means Osborne was misusing him as a quarterback?

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, Toe said:

@Huskerfollower4life Eh, I wouldn't read too much into guys changing positions when they get to the next level. It's something that happens all over the place, both high schoolers when they get to college and college players when they get to the NFL. I mean Frost played defensive back in the NFL, do you think that means Osborne was misusing him as a quarterback?

True i just tend to think that Nebraska struggles in that area to identify were to put certain players. Like Nick Gates he is playing center in the NFL but played tackle in college usually when I look at that i start thinking wait what he didn't have the necessary lateral quickness or bend to play that position at all. For Scott Frost yes he played qb in college but you could tell he had about as good of throwing motion as Taylor Martinez so you knew he wasn't going to play thay position just seems like the skill guys that Nebraska has produced have turned up in other positions thats all.

8 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

True i just tend to think that Nebraska struggles in that area to identify were to put certain players. Like Nick Gates he is playing center in the NFL but played tackle in college usually when I look at that i start thinking wait what he didn't have the necessary lateral quickness or bend to play that position at all. For Scott Frost yes he played qb in college but you could tell he had about as good of throwing motion as Taylor Martinez so you knew he wasn't going to play thay position just seems like the skill guys that Nebraska has produced have turned up in other positions thats all.

Happens all the time.  One of the most sought-after OT prospects the Huskers have been in on over the last two decades (Andrus Peat) played OT in college but guard in the NFL.  Pretty much none of the Pipeline OTs from the 90s played OT in the NFL.  

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Happens all the time.  One of the most sought-after OT prospects the Huskers have been in on over the last two decades (Andrus Peat) played OT in college but guard in the NFL.  Pretty much none of the Pipeline OTs from the 90s played OT in the NFL.  

To add to that, the player also has to be agreeable to playing the position too.

• Plus1 1