***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2022***

suh_fan93

On 8/22/2022 at 10:12 PM, Huskerfollower4life said:

True i just tend to think that Nebraska struggles in that area to identify were to put certain players. Like Nick Gates he is playing center in the NFL but played tackle in college usually when I look at that i start thinking wait what he didn't have the necessary lateral quickness or bend to play that position at all. For Scott Frost yes he played qb in college but you could tell he had about as good of throwing motion as Taylor Martinez so you knew he wasn't going to play thay position just seems like the skill guys that Nebraska has produced have turned up in other positions thats all.

As others have said, NFL offensive linemen are often offensive tackles in college.  Colleges typically put their best linemen, in terms of size and ability, at offensive tackles because that's where they have the most value.  Then when guys get into the NFL, many are moved inside because they may be too short or not have long enough arms to be effective OT's.  Zack Martin was a great OT while at Notre Dame, but he was moved to guard for the Dallas Cowboys, and he has become a future HOFer at that position.  Does that mean Notre Dame played him at the wrong position in college?  No.  It just means Martin was better suited for OG in the NFL.

• Plus1 3

Only surprise to me is Buford. I thought he may have to wait a couple games as he solidified his spot. Hopefully that means he’s playing really well and has one safety spot locked down. Either way he wasn’t one of the most heralded DB recruits in recent memory but he showed up hungry.

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I feel like you give out 11...to the starters.  maybe 12.

But 9 or whatever it is...just seems odd.  Oh well...

Just means some of the spots are still up for grabs imo.  It is also a pretty good motivational tool  - those that didn't get one will be pushing hard to earn one.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Just means some of the spots are still up for grabs imo.  It is also a pretty good motivational tool  - those that didn't get one will be pushing hard to earn one.  

I don't think it's that tbh - Hill is going to be a starter, and Mathis essentially will be as well. They just haven't played here, and Frost said they wouldn't give them to guys who haven't played here right away. The only ones potentially up for grabs are nose (Hutmacher vs. Wynn) and Nickel (Gifford vs. Kolarevic vs. Wright), and they may not give one to the nose if they're only playing in 3 man fronts.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't think it's that tbh - Hill is going to be a starter, and Mathis essentially will be as well. They just haven't played here, and Frost said they wouldn't give them to guys who haven't played here right away. The only ones potentially up for grabs are nose (Hutmacher vs. Wynn) and Nickel (Gifford vs. Kolarevic vs. Wright), and they may not give one to the nose if they're only playing in 3 man fronts.

Agree with you regarding Mathis for sure.  Hill probably as well.  The others, maybe dangling the carrot a bit?

19 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

With Colton Feist earning a Blackshirt and Chinander's comments that NU will be playing more of a 4-man front, I wonder if that means there will be less of a true NT being played along the line.  Feist is much smaller than Huthacher and Wynn, but Feist and Ty Robinson are the DT's who earned the Blackshirts.