***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2022***

suh_fan93

13 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

What makes you think they haven't earned them?? Bc the coaches want to see how they are going to play first before they get one give me a break. You and I know that they already know how they are going to play bc of what practices show. You can't give me a example on how someone like a player Ochaun Mathis has to go on the field in order to produce or to show the coaches what he is capable of if you already knows he plays like a blackshirt in practice already. 

45 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

No offense, but I'm not sure you know what you are talking about. 

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

What makes you think they haven't earned them?? Bc the coaches want to see how they are going to play first before they get one give me a break. You and I know that they already know how they are going to play bc of what practices show. You can't give me a example on how someone like a player Ochaun Mathis has to go on the field in order to produce or to show the coaches what he is capable of if you already knows he plays like a blackshirt in practice already. 

As fans, we have no clue what these kids have done in practice.  It happens all the time.  Fans want the kid sitting on the bench playing and claim he's so much better.  Meanwhile, the coaches are the ones around these kids all the time and see them in practice every day.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
46 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Or just don’t make a big deal out of only 9 getting them and let the others earn them?

There lies the problem sir.  What does earning them even mean?

If you start you're on the Defense.  We've all turned this our own definition.  Give the shirt.  Pull the shirt.  No one should have shirt...Blah Blah.  Even when they held back black shirts for weeks they certainly didn't pull the stuff off huskervision.

It's become lame.  Again..give out 11 shirts and be done with it.

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

If you start you're on the Defense.  We've all turned this our own definition.  Give the shirt.  Pull the shirt.  No one should have shirt...Blah Blah.  Even when they held back black shirts for weeks they certainly didn't pull the stuff off huskervision.

I don’t have a definition, I allow the coaches to create the definition and celebrate the tradition. That’s it.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

So are you withholding one from the Nickel or the NT, or just deciding which of those players gets one on a game by game basis depending on what defensive package we open in? This is less drama than it used to be when Bo was pulling them and giving them back all the time. 

50 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

As fans, we have no clue what these kids have done in practice.  It happens all the time.  Fans want the kid sitting on the bench playing and claim he's so much better.  Meanwhile, the coaches are the ones around these kids all the time and see them in practice every day.

And i can understand that what I don't understand is the coaches can't tell us as fans that Ochaun Mathis is as advertised and then not hand out a blackshirt to him bc he hasn't earned one in practice. If he is advertised like the coaches say he is then he has done everything right to wear one or he isn't as advertised then and still has work to do.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

And i can understand that what I don't understand is the coaches can't tell us as fans that Ochaun Mathis is as advertised and then not hand out a blackshirt to him bc he hasn't earned one in practice. If he is advertised like the coaches say he is then he has done everything right to wear one or he isn't as advertised then and still has work to do.

His own mother said not to worry about it so why are you?

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Pretty much what @FrankWheeler said.  It's a coaches decision and they are with the kids all the time.  We aren't within the program.  It's no big deal.  It's not going to make or break any of our daily lives.

It will be OK.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

So are you withholding one from the Nickel or the NT, or just deciding which of those players gets one on a game by game basis depending on what defensive package we open in? This is less drama than it used to be when Bo was pulling them and giving them back all the time. 

And the kickoff team.  That's basically defense.

10 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I don't believe Pelini ever handed them out to the entire starting defense before the season and yet the 2009 defense was, I believe the 7th ranked defense in the nation. 

I get where you are coming from if that is true but that is one case out of many that where the defense hasn't been great. If ever the team needed to win its now and imo handing out blackshirts to the starters or the defense guys helps the whole cause to win. This is my believe that if you give them out as a whole then it helps better the cause.

2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I truly understand your point and appreciate it.  The blackshirt "reward" has changed so much over time, it is hard to take the method seriously. 

But...... Ochaun moms said "Chill... he will earn it on the field soon enough"..... which is good enough for me (para phrasing)

:bonez

• Plus1 3

I didn't wet my pants over it.

At 3-9, I would have been fine waiting and letting the games leading up to the OU game and then announced who I felt was deserving of the blackshirt moving forward into the next game.

If the guys need this done now to sorta puff them up ... we are in trouble.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1