***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2022***

suh_fan93

We need to play an actual 3-4 more often with this team. We only have 2 true DL in the game. Nelson and Tannor are a little undersized playing DE. Our nickel isn't JoJo no more. We held up last year with Daniels/Stille but we cannot seem to do that so we need to take out the Nickel on most sets and put in another DL. Still leaves room for Nelson/Mathis/Tannor on the edge. 

And for the love of all things why do we sit in a base set on 2nd and goal? Again, put in another DL so it isn't so easy to run up the gut. 

• Plus1 2

From the five, I’m probably ok with this defense.  Seems they’re all in the right places except maybe bring 2 lbs a yard closer to Los. Our DTs either have to plug the middle and occupy 4 O line or the plays going to get 2-3 yards.  Chin wants ND to run inside apparently.        Not sure what ND did. Comes down to guys making plays (or not).  

Incoming, sorry in advance, just a little venting and frustration on Chin's scheme. 

Why the f#&% do we need 2 defensive ends, when the QB feels pressure a few times a game - out of 75 snaps???!!?  -  Big heavy skilled OLineman have it easy against our DL 

Why the f#&% do we need 5 defensive backs, when they keep everything in front of them - which converts into long drives???!!?  - "As long as they don't give up a big play" 

Why the f#&% do we have 2 Inside Linebackers to make the majority of the plays ???!!?  It's not like the DBs will come up and bring someone down if the ILBs get blocked..... 

Chin's scheme keeps the defense on the field way too long, and keeps our offense from getting the ball back.  I hate it.

Ok I feel better.  Again, sorry (had to get it off my chest lol)

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

So, I went back and watched the defense and keyed on the interior linemen.  They rotated fairly regularly 5 guys.  Robinson, Hutmacher, Wynn, Drew and Feist.  I honestly didn't see much different between any of them.  They all eat up blocks, which is important.  But, they all have problems getting off blocks when a play is right in their area.  The only difference was that it seemed like Robinson and Wynn are more athletic to actually be able to chase someone down.

Several times in this game, we played a defense where it looks like the DLine is supposed to block the O line all in one direction and the RE and LBs are supposed to fill in on the other side.  I"m assuming this is usually in a very obvious run situation.  Many times, it appeared the Dline did what they were supposed to do by moving the O line, but the RE and LBs failed to fill in.  One example is the really long run ND had in the second half.  It appeared that Nelson didn't disengage with the O lineman fast enough to make the tackle.  The very next play, both Nebraska and ND ran the same play and Nelson made a nice play.  

So, I feel like we have OK D linemen.  They aren't getting blown back 4 yards.  But, they aren't great to the point of making a difference in the middle.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, I went back and watched the defense and keyed on the interior linemen.  They rotated fairly regularly 5 guys.  Robinson, Hutmacher, Wynn, Drew and Feist.  I honestly didn't see much different between any of them.  They all eat up blocks, which is important.  But, they all have problems getting off blocks when a play is right in their area.  The only difference was that it seemed like Robinson and Wynn are more athletic to actually be able to chase someone down.

Several times in this game, we played a defense where it looks like the DLine is supposed to block the O line all in one direction and the RE and LBs are supposed to fill in on the other side.  I"m assuming this is usually in a very obvious run situation.  Many times, it appeared the Dline did what they were supposed to do by moving the O line, but the RE and LBs failed to fill in.  One example is the really long run ND had in the second half.  It appeared that Nelson didn't disengage with the O lineman fast enough to make the tackle.  The very next play, both Nebraska and ND ran the same play and Nelson made a nice play.  

So, I feel like we have OK D linemen.  They aren't getting blown back 4 yards.  But, they aren't great to the point of making a difference in the middle.

Two of their big runs (including that one) involved the safety coming too far upfield too. Nelson talked about it after the game and mentioned that, along with the fact that it was his job to clean it up and he didn't get it done. I think our defensive problems are mostly relatively easy to fix - whether they get fixed or not, we'll see.

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Robinson (39 snaps), Feist (35), Drew (33), Wynn (28) and Hutmacher (26) is a pretty nice rotation.

Although I'm not so sure Drew and Wynn might not need a bigger share.  Perhaps as they get more up-to-speed.

38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Several times in this game, we played a defense where it looks like the DLine is supposed to block the O line all in one direction and the RE and LBs are supposed to fill in on the other side.  I"m assuming this is usually in a very obvious run situation.  Many times, it appeared the Dline did what they were supposed to do by moving the O line, but the RE and LBs failed to fill in.

Again, thank you for covering this :worship

It points out Chin's defensive scheme within the front 6/7.  Have said this a thousand times, but his defense is to "gum up the line by the lineman, and allow LBs to make the defensive play". 

That's what Chins wants, and Dawson and Ruud oblige, within their coaching & instructions. 

It's a bulls#!t scheme....and for 87 and 70 snaps a game - including coverage playing soft, no wonder the offense doesn't get the ball back...

the LBs get busted up, exhausted and injured.... teams run through the line, pass the ball in the flat, and we hear about "we need to get some turnovers".......... 

Yeah, because your scheme doesn't stop anyone from penetration ("without those super Husker seniors, in YEAR 4!") and a Nickel back (JoJo) a corner (C Taylor-Britt), and older safeties to help clean up the messes.  

Chins philosophy is to "Just keep everything in front of you, and tighten up when inside the 20 yard line (red zone)"......  But even that doesn't always work.  

I thin Long drives and TOP is the same thing as giving up a big play down field, which "we do everything to avoid."

I think something has to change

16 minutes ago, admo said:

Again, thank you for covering this :worship

It points out Chin's defensive scheme within the front 6/7.  Have said this a thousand times, but his defense is to "gum up the line" by the lineman, and allow LBs to make THE play.  Every play within 10 yard radius.

That's what Chins wants, and Dawson and Ruud oblige within their coaching & instructions. 

It's a bulls#!t scheme....and for 87 and 70 snaps a game - with coverage playing soft, no wonder the offense doesn't get the ball back, the LBs get busted up and injured, teams run through the line, pass the ball in the flat, and we hear about "we need to get some turnovers"..........

Yeah, because your scheme doesn't stop anyone from LOS penetration (without those super Husker seniors, in YEAR 4!) and a Nickel back (JoJo) a corner (C Taylor-Britt), and older safeties to help clean up the messes.  

Just keep everything in front of you, and tighten up when inside the 20 yard line (red zone).  But even that doesn't always work.  

Long drives and TOP is the same thing as a big play down field, which we do everything to avoid.

I think something has to change

"Bend but don't break"

It works well at the G5 when you can recruit the best DL in your conference and consistently get pressure with 4 because you can tighten down on short-yardage passing plays near the goal line and limit big plays outside the 20. It worked well last year because Domann was a stud and we actually had a great interior defense. In years where you're on the wrong end of the talent disparity it shows.

• Haha 1