***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2022***

suh_fan93

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Two of their big runs (including that one) involved the safety coming too far upfield too. Nelson talked about it after the game and mentioned that, along with the fact that it was his job to clean it up and he didn't get it done. I think our defensive problems are mostly relatively easy to fix - whether they get fixed or not, we'll see.

this is the problem for most of the team.

6 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

GAS Highlights

2:42 - Buford some sort of hey I don't want to tackle 
5:09 - Farmer and where the hell is he going? Not even looking at the play 
5:40 - Farmer and the worst angle and tackle attempt on the year 
7:12 - Farmer one handed swipe attempt 
9:39 - Farmer shoulder tackle 

This isn't to say that others are doing well, but why continue to play Farmer? 

You'd hope Buford could get a hand on him at least, but the RB has a two way go and 10-15 yards to set it up. That's an incredibly difficult tackle to make, and I blame the defensive call a lot more than Buford.

No idea on Farmer though, tackling has always been his weakness and it has not improved. He's also missed some difficult tackles that Deontai Williams made look easy, but he at least has leverage unlike the first example so at least slowing them down should be expected. 

• Plus1 1

57 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

GAS Highlights

2:42 - Buford some sort of hey I don't want to tackle 
5:09 - Farmer and where the hell is he going? Not even looking at the play 
5:40 - Farmer and the worst angle and tackle attempt on the year 
7:12 - Farmer one handed swipe attempt 
9:39 - Farmer shoulder tackle 

This isn't to say that others are doing well, but why continue to play Farmer? 

OK, on the play at 9:39....

I saw this when I rewatched the game yesterday and was so disgusted I couldn't bring myself to comment.

But, can someone please explain where number 0 is running to?  He simply turns and runs with nobody as fast as he can away from the play.

It was a perfect example of our defense from Saturday.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK, on the play at 9:39....

I saw this when I rewatched the game yesterday and was so disgusted I couldn't bring myself to comment.

But, can someone please explain where number 0 is running to?  He simply turns and runs with nobody as fast as he can away from the play.

It was a perfect example of our defense from Saturday.

He has the deep third, so he's just getting back there. But he did totally miss the guy who was already behind him coming out from the middle third.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Exactly.  There's a guy running down the middle of the field wide open and he's running farther away from him.  This can't be what he's supposed to do.

I think he just didn't see the guy running down the seam to be honest. If he doesn't see the TE or assumes the safety has him, just getting depth and then breaking in  on whatever comes in front of him is fine. Problem is the guy he was looking for to cross in front of him was already behind him. I'm not saying it was what he was supposed to do given what the TE ran, I can just see why he would bail like that if he was looking at the wrong guy. Hill played an absolutely terrible game, and still was given a chance to be a hero that he dropped.

23 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think he just didn't see the guy running down the seam to be honest. If he doesn't see the TE or assumes the safety has him, just getting depth and then breaking in  on whatever comes in front of him is fine. Problem is the guy he was looking for to cross in front of him was already behind him. I'm not saying it was what he was supposed to do given what the TE ran, I can just see why he would bail like that if he was looking at the wrong guy. Hill played an absolutely terrible game, and still was given a chance to be a hero that he dropped.

I’m the farthest thing to being a DB expert. But, I can understand he’s supposed to get a certain amount of depth and not let anything behind you. But, the TE ran a very shallow rout and stopped. If he didn’t see the guy in center field, then he sees nobody coming into his zone. He has no ability to help anywhere. 

Would it be that his eyes are not looking in the right place?

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Expecting less talk, more walk, with the regime change.

Well, at least for the next 9 games there isn’t much they can “talk” about. 

However, wouldn’t it be fun if they pulled together and went on a run of wins?

Its happened before. 

Can you imagine how crazy the bye week will be if we actually beat OU?

This tackling thing bugs the he’ll out of me. 

I had a friend my freshman year that was a walk-on fullback. I remember him coming home absolutely beat to s#!t. He had been at practice and they kept running the same play till mike Knox tackled correctly.  I can’t imagine practicing defense without tackling. 

isn’t that why you have a meat squad?  I would venture to say, usually the guy doing the tackling is not the One getting hurt. 

Practice tackling!!!!

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This tackling thing bugs the he’ll out of me. 

I had a friend my freshman year that was a walk-on fullback. I remember him coming home absolutely beat to s#!t. He had been at practice and they kept running the same play till mike Knox tackled correctly.  I can’t imagine practicing defense without tackling. 

isn’t that why you have a meat squad?  I would venture to say, usually the guy doing the tackling is not the One getting hurt. 

Practice tackling!!!!

I don't know what you have 75 walkons for these days if they aren't tackling dummies.  95% of walkons should never sniff the field in 2022.  The 1995 equivalent walkons today are playing on scholarships at G5 and FCS schools, they aren't the same. 

• Plus1 1