***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2022***

suh_fan93

5 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

So with the new coach coming in bc I don't believe its Mickey Joseph does he get rid of the whole blackshirts tradition for the defense? It's changed so much from what it represents and how its represented. It should be represented to the starters and if your not playing great defense take it away.

No.

There are a few who are making mountains out of mole hills.

But if you thought people threw a fit when Callahan killed the walk on program, you wouldn't want to see what happens if a coach got rid of the Blackshirts.

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No.

There are a few who are making mountains out of mole hills.

But if you thought people threw a fit when Callahan killed the walk on program, you wouldn't want to see what happens if a coach got rid of the Blackshirts.

Thank you for answering the question. I feel the same way but a lot of fans on this board want to get rid of all football traditions we have sell out streak, blackshirts. 

• Plus1 1

The Blackshirts is a great tradition.  We haven’t earned them last several years but it is not something you get rid of. A good coach actually uses it as an incentive. I am completely ok taking them away when the defense is crap.  I could see Rhule embracing them.  I think we see more physicality on defense going forward.  Rhule strikes me as someone who can use the old/traditions and blend them with the new. Plus I really want a Blackshirts smock!

• Plus1 3

21.5: Points allowed by Nebraska’s defense in November. That’s NU’s best number in November since 2012 and its second-best mark since joining the Big Ten. Yes, three of the Huskers’ four foes — Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa —had…challenges…on offense. But Michigan didn’t, and NU’s defense played better against the Wolverines than did rival Ohio State. After a hideous start that cost Scott Frost and Erik Chinander their jobs, the Husker D impressively rounded into shape.

OWH

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2022 at 10:49 PM, Mavric said:

OWH

Not fooled with the stats, the "but.." or this quote "the Husker D impressively rounded into shape"

Why not just be honest and say what it really was?

2022 -  November

Against Minnesota - Gophers finished with an unimpressive 5-4 conference record.  They run ball, chew clock, punt, play field position; repeat and score enough to be satisfied.  They dominated our defense in the 2nd half and won easily.

Against Michigan - 34 points when we all know they played it conservative.  The weather was freezing out.  

Wisconsin - 6-6 record which is not normal for them.  The Badgers came in with a terrible offense - their worse in years - and an interim HC on their side too. Starting RB Allen was hurt throughout the game.  When it mattered most, the Husker defense broke down in the 4th quarter and lost the game.  

Iowa - 7-5 record - Again, this is another bad team.  We all know this was the worst Iowa offense in 20 years;  It was noted everywhere.  Yet they were able to produce points in the 2nd half to make the game nerve-wrecking.  

I get it that the writer wants to pump up the defense.  But he is doing so without real life substance.  We chewed up clock also and played conservatively too, because 2 games were without our starting QB.  In other words, this isn't just a shout out to the defense as he uses stats to go with history.  The defense was pretty bad and was mostly the fault for losing to Minn & Wisconsin.  

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Well our football team didn't earn them but the basketball team did?!:facepalm::dunno:P Who would have thought that you didn't have to play in the same sport in order to earn a blackshirt?

Well, i think this just shows that a lot of fans take the whole “blackshirt” topic way too seriously.

Its just a fun gimmick.

• Plus1 2