***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2022***

suh_fan93

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This tackling thing bugs the he’ll out of me. 

I had a friend my freshman year that was a walk-on fullback. I remember him coming home absolutely beat to s#!t. He had been at practice and they kept running the same play till mike Knox tackled correctly.  I can’t imagine practicing defense without tackling. 

isn’t that why you have a meat squad?  I would venture to say, usually the guy doing the tackling is not the One getting hurt. 

Practice tackling!!!!

Whoa do you know if your friend happened to ever work for Pepsi?  I swear I had a Pepsi vendor tell me this same story some years back.  I don't know if Knox was the guy he was talking about though. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He said something like being a walk-on was basically being a glorified tackling dummy.

I knew something was seriously amiss when they weren't even tackling in the spring game.

Yep. If the best players on the team can’t handle tackling someone who probably won’t ever see the field, it might be a problem. 

Again, I understand positions not being deep. But, if first string can’t tackle, might as well be playing second string. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This tackling thing bugs the he’ll out of me. 

I had a friend my freshman year that was a walk-on fullback. I remember him coming home absolutely beat to s#!t. He had been at practice and they kept running the same play till mike Knox tackled correctly.  I can’t imagine practicing defense without tackling. 

isn’t that why you have a meat squad?  I would venture to say, usually the guy doing the tackling is not the One getting hurt. 

Practice tackling!!!!

There's definitely room for possibility that we're doing this worse than others, but a huge part of that is just the reality of football in the 2020s. Live tackling is rare, and it's not going any direction other than less and less.

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

There's definitely room for possibility that we're doing this worse than others, but a huge part of that is just the reality of football in the 2020s. Live tackling is rare, and it's not going any direction other than less and less.

Ok, so why can other teams tackle and we can’t?

They have to be doing live tackling in practice. 

16 minutes ago, Slow yer Roll said:

How do you get to a starting position on a big10 team and not instinctively know how to tackle ?

They've been playing football since they were  3ft tall.

We have missed our fair share of tackles don't get me wrong, but some of it is more than just bad technique.  Asking a safety to come from 12 yards off the ball and make a tackle on a guy that went untouched (because we have wide open gaps that guys are running through) is a lot tougher than it looks.  A safety has to react to the ball so that ball carrier generally already has a head start on you, and then you have to make a play in the completely open field, it's tough to even get a hand on somebody let alone tackle them. 

I think there are some big things that are now lost in the shuffle of Frost getting fired that few are taking stock of.

Bringing in Whipple & Joseph as coaches and then brining in Grant, Allen, & Palmer on the offensive side of the ball was and is huge. We pretty much got robbed of at least a field goal in our first game because of the fumble call on Garcia Casteneda. In three games we've done a pretty great job of moving the ball up & down the field.

If this defense was just at least average, this would have probably been a good season. I still can't get over how bad our inside linebackers have played.

Buford almost single handedly saved the Georgia Southern game for us...but one of his counterparts played some pretty bad football in that game.

I can understand being outran because the other team is faster than you, etc...but some of our guys just don't know how to stay in position and stay on their assignment at all.

• Plus1 1