***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2022***

suh_fan93

We’re still trying to play in some kind of nickel scheme where there are only two linebackers in between the tackles off the LoS. It isn’t working.

It’s like we’re playing with 10 guys out there when Tannor lines up in a half stance on the line and takes on a tackle and then we only have two linebackers in the middle. The two LB’s just get obliterated in the run game up the middle way too often.

When we get spread out we are garbage. Every team on the schedule can beat us because the film makes it so obvious; we have no interior at all.

I'd go to 4-3, make Ochaun Mathis or Garrett Nelson MLB, move Feist to DE, bring a couple 300+ lb sumo wrestlers over from the Oline for beef support at DT, move one or more small LBs to strong safety/LB hybrid....we just seem small and weak everywhere but strangely we have a ton of size on the roster watching us get pushed around.

Can someone who knows Xs and Os better than me explain this defense to me?  We run it a LOT.  The D line all shifts to the left and it seems like the LB #28 is responsible to fill the right side.  However, the LB has constantly gotten caught in the wrong place at the wrong time giving up big plays.  Here, why does he first go left, before filling the hole.  The delay makes it easy to block him out of the play.  If he fills it fast, maybe he meets the blocker more in the hole and jams up the play.  I've grown to despise whatever theory is behind this because it has given up so many big plays this year.

46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Can someone who knows Xs and Os better than me explain this defense to me?  We run it a LOT.  The D line all shifts to the left and it seems like the LB #28 is responsible to fill the right side.  However, the LB has constantly gotten caught in the wrong place at the wrong time giving up big plays.  Here, why does he first go left, before filling the hole.  The delay makes it easy to block him out of the play.  If he fills it fast, maybe he meets the blocker more in the hole and jams up the play.  I've grown to despise whatever theory is behind this because it has given up so many big plays this year.

Part of the problems is the T gets washed inside leaving an extremely large whole.  If he even just holds his ground it makes it harder for fullback to find his block, the puller maybe has to bow back a little slowing the play down.  Tannor is also slow in setting the edge in my opinion.  He should see the pulling lineman and close ground.  probably got caught in a bad call expecting the play to go strong side.  

On 9/21/2022 at 10:15 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Part of it seems to be he's reading the HB.  The HB slow plays like he's going across the formation, LB28 shadows that then has to come back to the hole.

Part of the problem - like @MyBloodIsRed16 said - is the DL on that side gets blown up.

But I think the biggest issue here is we have 6 in the box and they have six blockers.  All they have to do is get a hat on a hat and we're in trouble.  Especially when they have five on the line against three DLs.

• Plus1 1

It’s just #2 not getting off his block with physicality like we’ve seen for basically years, IMO.

That’s kind of a not-so-interesting play to break down by that Twitter account. Just good execution by OU and then honestly not that bad of a play by our safety to make the play in run support.

I'm just going to put this here instead of the Martinez thread.

Watching KState's defense last night really reinforces for me that we've had a way bigger problem with coaching than with talent on defense under Chinander. They run the same basic 3 down linemen defense.

But they used their linebackers so aggressively last night. Gabriel got a few chances to stand in a clean pocket and throw the deep post/deep crosses - and those plays largely landed OU their points. But by and large he felt the pressure coming through the gaps all night and made just enough inaccurate throws to kill off some drives and force them to punt.

We made the wrong moves with some of the body styles we've recruited but mainly we've went wrong with philosophy; have to be aggressive with your linebackers.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Undone said:

I'm just going to put this here instead of the Martinez thread.

Watching KState's defense last night really reinforces for me that we've had a way bigger problem with coaching than with talent on defense under Chinander. They run the same basic 3 down linemen defense.

But they used their linebackers so aggressively last night. Gabriel got a few chances to stand in a clean pocket and throw the deep post/deep crosses - and those plays largely landed OU their points. But by and large he felt the pressure coming through the gaps all night and made just enough inaccurate throws to kill off some drives and force them to punt.

We made the wrong moves with some of the body styles we've recruited but mainly we've went wrong with philosophy; have to be aggressive with your linebackers.

Yes…..we have had way bigger problems than talent on that side of the ball. I bet you KSU doesn’t have more talent than us on defense. But, our coaches have not been putting them in positions to succeed. 

22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes…..we have had way bigger problems than talent on that side of the ball. I bet you KSU doesn’t have more talent than us on defense. But, our coaches have not been putting them in positions to succeed. 

The talent conversation is silly to me sometimes.  Their players play better than ours.  I'd call that being more talented.  Think whatever you'd like about potential, that's all subjective. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The talent conversation is silly to me sometimes.  Their players play better than ours.  I'd call that being more talented.  Think whatever you'd like about potential, that's all subjective. 

That’s how I see it as well. I keep on saying that NU doesn’t look very talented on the field, and fans point to recruiting rankings and then say it’s lack of development. But isn’t development taking potential talent into better talent and they then “play better”. It’s basically the eye test, and most often film doesn’t lie.