***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2022***

suh_fan93

Purdue runs a pro style offense. I'm guessing Mickey is leaning a little harder on his NFL DC brother for some advice this week. Maybe talking to him a bit at half time, too? :)

Busch simplified the D when he took over and it has clearly paid some dividends. But if your D is too simple, you make it easier for the opponent to game plan - especially with a couple weeks of film to work with. I'm hopeful that as the D makes progress he is able to throw in a few new wrinkles to hopefully CORNfuse offences. 

• Haha 1

It would not surprise me if our "simplified" defense takes a step back this week now that a much better team like Purdue has a couple of weeks on film to expose our weaknesses.  I expect Purdue to score some points hopefully we can still force a couple turnovers.  Regardless, you can't be much worse than we were in the first few weeks and historically we've always been able to put up points on Purdue so hopefully our defense can do enough to keep us in it!

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

2 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Fezi-0OaUAAeqBN?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I was really worried about him early in the year, did not look like himself at all. But he's really turned it on, hope he's all good to go for this weekend. He's been really solid in coverage (minus the TE delays which I'll attribute to Chin's scheme), just needs to get some work in on a JUGS machine. He should've had 4-5 picks last year.

Side note on Reimer - Busch mentioned he's the defensive player with the highest tracked speed during practice, over 22 mph. 

Nebraska Football Question: What do the Huskers secondary do?

Best Answer:

• Easy runs: At about 30 to 45 minutes, these runs are meant to be conversational and fun. You should feel good.  Keep the receiver in front of you.  If they drop the pass, throw the bones!  If you get beat, throw your arms up and question why?  It's okay.  Coach Fisher has your back.

Nebraska Football Question #2:   What does #8 do?  Does he tackle and stuff?  His name is Farmer or something....

Best Answer:

As we have seen, a safety's job is to just back pedal on every play, and don’t even go near the LOS.  As a safety playing every down, don't run at the ball carrier to help linebackers with tackles; Just stay back, exercise, and be close to the guy who gets tackled.  It looks great on film.  You don't have to make the tackle after 15 yards, but just be close enough to be on film trying to do something. Someone else will make the play, so you are ok.

And also, it is very important that you don't be near a deep ball in case you might be caught being burned.  Just be cool out there.... because you are playing safety.  If you do get a pick, it will forgive the last 1000 plays you avoided, and give you more time to be on the field playing safety the way you are coached and empowered to do so.  

20 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Run D better be ready starting this week.  The next 4 games feature 4 of the top 12 rushers in the nation.

#2 Chase Brown 151 ypg

#5 Mo Ibrahim 132 ypg

#6 Blake Corum 129 ypg

#12 Braelon Allen 109 ypg

FYI Anthony Grant is #22 at 97 ypg

Plus Allen is getting used more/having more success after the firing of Chryst.  He has been over 100 yards in the last 3 games.  I know one was against a terrible Northwestern team, but Purdue was able to stop NU's run game, and wasn't able to do that to Wisky.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Plus Allen is getting used more/having more success after the firing of Chryst.  He has been over 100 yards in the last 3 games.  I know one was against a terrible Northwestern team, but Purdue was able to stop NU's run game, and wasn't able to do that to Wisky.

I have no doubt that Allen will go for 200+ against us.  That is just what Wisconsin backs do against NU.

2017 Taylor 249

2018 Taylor 221

2019 Taylor 204

2020 Covid

2021 Allen 228

• TBH 1