Thunderin' Bolts at Sam Houston

Starters announced

Kyle Perry

Shay Schanaman

Dawson McCarville

Braxton Bragg

Scouting the Sam Houston Bearkats

• Sam Houston went 30-25 last season and tied for fourth in the Southland Conference with a 20-15 record in conference play. 

• The Bearkats lost Dominic Robinson (12 starts) and Kyle Backhus (12 starts) from last year's rotation, but return Tyler Davis (13 starts) and Matt Dillard (eight starts) on the mound. Davis was 6-5 last season with a 5.75 ERA in 14 appearances, while Dillard went 2-4 with a 6.34 ERA in 10 appearances.

• Of the 17 pitchers that made an appearance on the bump last season, 10 are back for the 2022 season. 

• Sam Houston returns five players from last season's team that saw at least 50 plate appearances. Trent Touchet leads the group of returners coming back after hitting .286 with five doubles, a triple, five homers and 24 RBI in 2021.

• Head coach Jay Sirianni enters his third season leading the Bearkat program and holds a 37-32 overall record at Sam Houston.

https://huskers.com/news/2022/2/17/baseball-huskers-begin-2022-campaign-at-sam-houston.aspx

Edited by hskrfan4life
  • Plus1 1

Curious if this rotation will remain. Especially with Bolt's enthusiasm in Bragg's fall ball and spring training. Hopefully KP has thicker skin this year and moves on when calls that should go his way don't. Also, McCarville excites me for several reasons but mostly because he's an experienced starter from a conference that had some solid competition. Really looking forward to this baseball season. Admittedly however, I am doing my best to convince myself that we will struggle early. Seems every time I get my hopes up with a Husker Men's program they quickly dash them. This time though it will be different.. :P

• Plus1 1

Sam Houston has enjoyed success in their baseball program, and usually puts out a competitive team.  This should be an exciting match up, even though it should favor the Huskers.  

To give an idea, they lost their top sluggers to the MLB draft.  A 9th rounder, and the 5th overall pick in the draft. 

To help fill the middle of the order, they added a JUCO slugger from Texas, who was on the JUCO national championship team. 

Their starting pitcher was named pre-season All-WAC (They moved this year with 4 other Southland Conference members).  Sam Houston usually plays 5-8 games a year against the Big 12 or SEC teams.  Last year they beat TCU, Texas A&M, Rice, but lost to Texas Tech, Baylor and Texas.  A 3 game series vs Oklahoma State was cancelled because of weather.  So obviously not going to be too nervous against the Huskers.

They open the season with an exciting schedule.  First 9 games against all ranked teams that also played in regional's last year (with 2 making it to the CWS).  
vs Nebraska - 4 games
Oklahoma State - (in Arlington)
Dallas Baptist - 3 games
vs Texas

The Huskers have the obvious better team, and starting pitching & pitching depth should definitely be the difference maker.  It is very difficult to sweep on the road in a 4 game series which includes a DH.  I think the Huskers will be in good shape if they come away with 3 wins.  Like I mentioned, Sam Houston has a pretty good baseball team that should be competitive, and the Huskers should look to build off their successful season last year. 

• Plus1 1

The real important stuff...

Just missed some beautiful warm weather all week.  Little cold front coming in, so Friday night's game will be chilly.  Should avoid the rain which comes Sunday night.  Today in Huntsville, TX, Thursday, High 73 Low 32 (windy and gusty, weather dropping fast). 

Friday 18th
High 57 Low 35
Partly cloudy skies. High 57F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph

Sat 19th
High 65 Low 40
Sunny. High around 65F. Winds light and variable

Sun 20th
High 69 Low 58
A mix of clouds and sun in the morning followed by cloudy skies during the afternoon. High 69F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.  Sunday evening/night - Scattered thunderstorms. Low 58F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

19 hours ago, Kruzu said:

I saw Friday's game is on ESPN+ but I'm surprised I haven't seen any streaming info for Sat/Sun - does anyone know if SHS will stream those days?

So far no...but I'll keep checking. Was going to go down for this...but got a volleyball tourney to go to instead.