Thunderin' Bolts at Sam Houston

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

Like I said...

That's not great, but it's a capsule over 4 games.  It's 3.5 runs per game.  The team played 36 innings, not 10.  How did the bats do? 

My point is, unless you have 2 aces, a setup & shutdown closer, it's anyone's series.  Batters are going to hit at this level, just like Sam Houston did (even though there's blaming toward the Husker pitching staff). 

If the Huskers want to play into a Super Regional or CWS, they got to swing the bat.  Seriously, Vanderbilt got rocked and they had legit pitchers drafted. 

It's early, and the pitching will get figured out.  Less excuse for the hitting and big bats. 

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Had to go back an run the calculation.  Our starting pitching ran up a 12.47 ERA this weekend.  And we almost blew 11-3 eighth inning lead in the one game we did win.

Yeah, because they swung the bats.  Good for them.

How did our bats do?  I mean, you got to throw strikes, and batters can hit strikes right?  How did our guys do?  That's my point. 

They didn't roll out Maddux, Smoltz & Glavine.  Neither did we.  Therefor, you should be able to string singles, extra base hits, take a walk, launch a few homers, run the plate and help out the p. staff on the way.

That's on the Huskers.  Hitting cures.  Fielding helps.  Base running is an advantage. I can't say it any other way. :dunno

25 minutes ago, admo said:

Yeah, because they swung the bats.  Good for them.

How did our bats do?  I mean, you got to throw strikes, and batters can hit strikes right?  How did our guys do?  That's my point. 

So as long as our pitchers keep rolling along at a 12+ ERA we'll be fine as long as we start hitting.

Good to know.

17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So as long as our pitchers keep rolling along at a 12+ ERA we'll be fine as long as we start hitting.

Good to know.

So as long as the starting pitchers get pulled after 2.5 innings, allowing 3 runs..  we will never score with 9 innings of plate appearances. 

Good to know, it might as well be over.

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Last year that great lineup we rolled out there hit .279.

This weekend we hit .271.

That's one more hit every 125 at bats.  We had 133 at bats this weekend.

So one more hit would have made all the difference, apparently.

One more hit, what kind of hit?  A 3 run homer?  Bases clearing double?  Grand Slam? Or just a infield hit as you are implying, where nothing changes?

I think we will disagree.  Teams that swing the bat, produce runs and rally's will knock out pitching no matter how amazing their ERA stat is. 

On the flip side, some teams have average pitchers that will pitch better than they can, because they have an offense that cross the plate a lot and put pressure on the opposing team.