Thunderin' Bolts at Sam Houston

56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We allowed 8-5-9-6 runs this weekend while scoring 5-1-12-3.  

Seems to me that we had issues with both pitching/defense and scoring runs.

Kind of silly to argue one or the other is "the" problem.  Pretty much a team effort on this bad weekend.

Exactly.  I never said pitching was the only issue.  Just that people were complaining about hitting and defense and no one had really mentioned pitching.  Pretty bad in all three phases.

Although, in my opinion, pitching is the most worrisome.  That should be the most controllable.  Hitting is streaky and it's not necessarily surprising that timing would be off a bit at the start of the season seeing new pitching for the first time.  But I don't think the same thing is true for pitching, at least not to the same extent.  When we're trying to replace a bunch of starting pitching and basically everyone we tried flopped, I think that's pretty concerning.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Exactly.  I never said pitching was the only issue.  Just that people were complaining about hitting and defense and no one had really mentioned pitching.  Pretty bad in all three phases.

Although, in my opinion, pitching is the most worrisome.  That should be the most controllable.  Hitting is streaky and it's not necessarily surprising that timing would be off a bit at the start of the season seeing new pitching for the first time.  But I don't think the same thing is true for pitching, at least not to the same extent.  When we're trying to replace a bunch of starting pitching and basically everyone we tried flopped, I think that's pretty concerning.

Pitching should have the advantage at the start of the season.  Kind of like defense should have an advantage at the beginning of the season in football.

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, Sam Houston brought the bats because our pitching was atrocious.  Starting pitching was abysmyal.

This is par for the course when you hire a non-pitcher as a pitching coach. :dunno

While some of this was sloppy defense, our poor pitching is concerning. We should be streets ahead in that...and we aren't. 

I worry that while Bolt will get the defense and offense where it should be, our pitching will be the phase that can't seem to get its act together this season. Then again, the season is young, so I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

• Plus1 1

As we agree, it's early.  But, if there is more worrysome over pitching, then you have to get the bats going and out in front.  To take some pressure off your staff while they settle down and work it out.

I think overall we will be fine.  First series of the year, on the road, maybe some jitters and pressing going on.  It will be key for Bolt to make sure his team doesn't press, but does put the pressure on opponents pitching staff.  Might have to outscore some teams early on (high scoring games) until the staff is rocking, so that you don't have to count on the bats every night.

While this team has plenty of talent to be really good in the long run, they are still replacing a lot of talent and key contributors.  Schwellenbach and Povich are huge losses, as is losing Hallmark at the top of the order.  I could be wrong, but doesn't NU have 3 new starting pitchers for the weekend?  There could be growing pains in this season, or the team may actually take a step back from what they were last season.  I know we want Bolt to have the progress and build off last season, but the talent may not be fully there (or at least early in the season).  

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

While this team has plenty of talent to be really good in the long run, they are still replacing a lot of talent and key contributors.  Schwellenbach and Povich are huge losses, as is losing Hallmark at the top of the order.  I could be wrong, but doesn't NU have 3 new starting pitchers for the weekend?  There could be growing pains in this season, or the team may actually take a step back from what they were last season.  I know we want Bolt to have the progress and build off last season, but the talent may not be fully there (or at least early in the season).  

Kinda sounds like you think Bolt is bigger than NU?  Is that what I am reading?

Hahaha