B1G Printing Money

Mavric

57 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

So I am supposed to hope that the team sucks so I can wait outside the stadium in hopes to get a cheaper ticket to go and watch a bad football team so I can later tell my friends that the experience inside the stadium was greatly improved? 

Why can't they just lower the cost to go to games? They will make it up in the NIL deals or the tv contract deals or some way. I can guarantee you that lower the cost for the fans to go to games will not get the light shut off at Memorial Stadium. 

Dude, don't know what to tell you.  The ticket revenue goes into the pot to hopefully some day put a much better product on the field. I'm assuming from this, you would rather have a winning program than cheaper tickets if you had to choose.   I agree.

There has been some discussion over the last year or so about having some of the worst seats not require a donation.  That would greatly reduce your cost of the season tickets.  (they may already be doing some of this).  That's the best you're going to get.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, RichardHangslow said:

So I am supposed to hope that the team sucks so I can wait outside the stadium in hopes to get a cheaper ticket to go and watch a bad football team so I can later tell my friends that the experience inside the stadium was greatly improved? 

Well you seem completely incapable of recognizing that more money helps the team have a better chance at being good, which gives you something of value, so yeah, if you want to whine and moan about a business doing what's good for the business, you should hope the team sucks. At least that way your high horse will stay strong and high.

• Plus1 2

How is it unrealistic? Explain to me how it is unrealistic to lower the cost of going to games. So it is complaining to ask a question about lowering the cost to go to games?   I am not complaining I am asking since the B1G has got such great fortune why not pass it along to the fans. You know the fans that packed Memorial stadium since 62' 

The only time prices may come down is when they aren’t selling out the place. It’s simple supply and demand. They would be crazy pants to lower prices just to be nice. You always have the option of not buying their tickets.

As far as your TV package getting cheaper. Do you really think that’s going to happen when their TV deal is about doubling to $1.1B? Where do you think that $1.1B comes from?

• Plus1 2
Just now, Touchdown Tommie said:

Maybe some of the BIG schools that cut their programs can think about bringing them back...I know MN cut the track program, Iowa cut mens swimming (after 100+ years), etc... Just another way to look at it...and when this is all out there and schools continue to say they are in a budget crisis, it is a bad look to cut the non core sports.

Pressure Wisconsin to bring back their baseball program.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

How is it unrealistic? Explain to me how it is unrealistic to lower the cost of going to games. So it is complaining to ask a question about lowering the cost to go to games?   I am not complaining I am asking since the B1G has got such great fortune why not pass it along to the fans. You know the fans that packed Memorial stadium since 62' 

It certainly won't be passed along to the fans with ticket prices, concessions or any other stadium experience....in fact they will continue to look for additional revenue sources.

And there will be even more pressure on ADs and football coaches.

Its revenue shared by all member schools....even lowly Purdue and Minnesota.

And coaching salaries will continue to escalate.

4 hours ago, runningblind said:

Question is, would we prefer Fox or NBC?  I assume BTN stays intact for streaming?

Don't have to. IIRC what's being sold are slots of Tier 1 (think Ohio State vs. Penn State, Nebraska vs. Wisky, Michigan vs. Penn State) and Tier 2 (Nebraska vs. Minny, Nebraska vs. Iowa, Michigan vs. Michigan State) football game inventory plus first dibs for home field broadcast rights during non-con season, and possibly the B1G Title Game (football-wise). 

BTN gets whatever doesn't get picked up by NBC in this scenario. And since NBC has expanded sports to its other channels (since doing away with NBC Sports), you could have B1G games on NBC OTA, USA, etc.

Additionally, there could be a caveat where if something isn't being covered by the BTN that's an Olympic sport, NBC's Olympics Sports channel could have the rights to broadcast if they wish...which would provide additional inventory to that channel. 

Thing is, if you thought the ESPN B1G coverage was bad now...just wait until the B1G completely cuts them out of the picture. The politics will get even worse. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, RichardHangslow said:

I guess that's cool? But I don't understand how it helps out the average fan are they going to reduce concessions and ticket prices? is the TV subscription that I buy going to be cheaper? is any of this at all going to affect me or just a few people at the top?

It allows the University AD to function as a non-profit, as it currently does, and not use taxpayer funds to support *any* of the sports programs it provides. 

It additionally allows the University to reap the benefits--any old facilities no longer in use are typically donated to UNL, which helps the school out immensely. 

Also, if the budget is there, then less large projects need to go to the boosters for handouts. The AD can just get on with it. 

• Plus1 2

54 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I know there is this weird idea that cutting sports is horrible but first off, no one cares about lame sports and also, soooooo many parents would be f#&%ing thrilled to not have to come up with an excuse to not have to watch their f#&%ing kid do rifling...

Well what if it was your neighbor's daughter rifling??

jiggling-ass-shooting.gif

It's not the same as the bowling team, but people really only care about winning. 

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fa633be90-fa4c-4616-b80f-ec8d4477e91d_5111x3407.jpeg

• Oh Yeah! 1