***The 2022 Offensive Line***

suh_fan93

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Um, coach . . . they ran the damn ball when you played here.

Of course the linemen aren't going to fire off the ball like that when you're passing it more than half the time.

Haha.  Very true, but I still wonder about his comment.  He is the HC.  Make the corrections.  I wonder if that is part of the "being more of a CEO".  Maybe he was really not as observant as heed needed to be.  I have no idea.

8 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Every time I read this I'm like WTF? You're the head coach. It's your job to take action to correct what you see as wrong and not wait until your had is forced. You're loyalty should to the university and kids to improve the program not to an assistant coach you keep on even though you disagree with his philosophy.

The first time I saw it was from a player and TBH, liked it (as I like the run game), but also could see the new coach/new technique argument.  But to see Frost make the comment adds fuel to the "in over his head" comments that have been mentioned (myself included).  I am hoping that Whip does his thing and Frost truly becomes the CEO and learns/grows.

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

We didn’t pass it more than half the time. 

In terms of play calling we pass it more than half the time.  So the linemen are pass blocking more than half the time, whether the QB takes off running or gets sacked or whatever else counts as a run play.  We also relied heavily on draw plays where the linemen were also showing pass.

Of course they aren't going to fire off the ball like they did in Osborne's offense.

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, lo country said:

Haha.  Very true, but I still wonder about his comment.  He is the HC.  Make the corrections.  I wonder if that is part of the "being more of a CEO".  Maybe he was really not as observant as heed needed to be.  I have no idea.

Not just head coach, he was the offensive coordinator to boot.   It was literally his system.  If the offensive linemen weren't blocking how he drew it up, it should have been addressed in fall camp in year 1.  It should have never made it to game day.

It seems like he's just trying to throw his former assistant under the bus after the fact, which he has a track record of doing.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

In terms of play calling we pass it more than half the time.  So the linemen are pass blocking more than half the time, whether the QB takes off running or gets sacked or whatever else counts as a run play.  We also relied heavily on draw plays where the linemen were also showing pass.

Of course they aren't going to fire off the ball like they did in Osborne's offense.

No.  That would mean that over 12 times per game, a pass play turned into a run play.  Sorry, no.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

No.  That would mean that over 12 times per game, a pass play turned into a run play.  Sorry, no.

Frost has so many of the so called RPOs (run-pass option) plays that effectively should be renamed PPPROs (pass-pass-pass-run) that become runs as a last resort, that the true run vs pass stats aren’t fairly indicative of the number of honest run attempts per game.  Very few of the QB carries are called runs.  They should be considered passes in my view. Then take out a third of the delayed hand off (draw plays) as well.  That probably gets you a dozen plays a game.  

Maybe that’s a bit high but the problem really lies in the lack of real, basic run plays from basic run formations with a primary design of gaining yard in the run game.  

Play action (QB fakes a handoff to a RB to help hold the defenders in a run stop mode a second or so) aren’t very useful if the defense is playing a basic pass defense first scheme.  Few defenses have truly schemed us with a “stop the run first and make ‘em throw” that I have observed. .  They already know we are going to throw, no matter what, generally.  This makes it that much harder to throw successfully, especially in the opponents half of the field.  

Thus may be over simplified but it’s the essentially the issue I have with Frost’s offense. Whip will fix this I believe. We may throw more than Frost statistically but the run game and pass game will both be more effective.  Just my feeling. It’s not just the number of each run vs pass but the type of run and pass that will make the difference. 

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Frost has so many of the so called RPOs (run-pass option) plays that effectively should be renamed PPPROs (pass-pass-pass-run) that become runs as a last resort, that the true run vs pass stats aren’t fairly indicative of the number of honest run attempts per game.  Very few of the QB carries are called runs.  They should be considered passes in my view. Then take out a third of the delayed hand off (draw plays) as well.  That probably gets you a dozen plays a game.  

Maybe that’s a bit high but the problem really lies in the lack of real, basic run plays from basic run formations with a primary design of gaining yard in the run game.  

Play action (QB fakes a handoff to a RB to help hold the defenders in a run stop mode a second or so) aren’t very useful if the defense is playing a basic pass defense first scheme.  Few defenses have truly schemed us with a “stop the run first and make ‘em throw” that I have observed. .  They already know we are going to throw, no matter what, generally.  This makes it that much harder to throw successfully, especially in the opponents half of the field.  

Thus may be over simplified but it’s the essentially the issue I have with Frost’s offense. Whip will fix this I believe. We may throw more than Frost statistically but the run game and pass game will both be more effective.  Just my feeling. It’s not just the number of each run vs pass but the type of run and pass that will make the difference. 

Considering that the OL run-blocks on RPOs, that actually does exactly the opposite of what you are claiming.  The OL would be run-blocking on a lot of pass plays so the percentage of plays they are actually pass blocking is even smaller.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Considering that the OL run-blocks on RPOs, that actually does exactly the opposite of what you are claiming.  The OL would be run-blocking on a lot of pass plays so the percentage of plays they are actually pass blocking is even smaller.

That’s your opinion.  If you’re right, then there’s no hope.  Should have kept Austin then right?   No need to fix it if it ain’t broke!  

• Haha 1

Just now, 84HuskerLaw said:

That’s your opinion.  If you’re right, then there’s no hope.  Should have kept Austin then right?   No need to fix it if it ain’t broke!  

It's not an opinion that the OL run blocks on RPOs (or even the mythical PPPROs you created), that's how they work. No idea where you think Austin comes into the conversation around our run/pass split - we all agree he wasn't getting the job done. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It's not an opinion that the OL run blocks on RPOs (or even the mythical PPPROs you created), that's how they work. No idea where you think Austin comes into the conversation around our run/pass split - we all agree he wasn't getting the job done. 

What’s he doing wrong if it’s not the blocking techniques/schemes?   It ain’t players cause if it was, no need to fire the coaches!   If it wasn’t schematic, we didn’t need a new offensive coordinator!   Please enlighten us all!   I look forward to learning, oh wise ones!  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

What’s he doing wrong if it’s not the blocking techniques/schemes?   It ain’t players cause if it was, no need to fire the coaches!   If it wasn’t schematic, we didn’t need a new offensive coordinator!   Please enlighten us all!   I look forward to learning, oh wise ones!  

The argument with you is that you think they pass block on RPOs.  Which they don't.  That's not an opinion.  That's how the play is designed.

The coaching change was because our players sucked at blocking both run and pass plays.  That doesn't mean RPOs are bad or pass plays are bad or run plays are bad.  Our players just sucked at it.  So, get a new coach that will coach it differently.

It's a pretty easy concept actually.

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The argument with you is that you think they pass block on RPOs.  Which they don't.  That's not an opinion.  That's how the play is designed.

The coaching change was because our players sucked at blocking both run and pass plays.  That doesn't mean RPOs are bad or pass plays are bad or run plays are bad.  Our players just sucked at it.  So, get a new coach that will coach it differently.

It's a pretty easy concept actually.

It’s not that easy my friend.  Unless Frost is even more hard headed than I may be.  He thot it was ok for 6 straight seasons with the same coaching.  What changed?   If nothing, then the HC needed to go as well. 
i guess I might agree with your position that we ought to run block on run plays but we haven’t for four years on many of the snaps.  That’s just NOT the fault of the players.  That’s coaching - scheme -not just Austin forgetting how after 5 years of doing it in front of the entire staff and HC.  That’s Austin teaching what Frost instructed him to do.  It has to be.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It’s not that easy my friend.  Unless Frost is even more hard headed than I may be.  He thot it was ok for 6 straight seasons with the same coaching.  What changed?   If nothing, then the HC needed to go as well. 
i guess I might agree with your position that we ought to run block on run plays but we haven’t for four years on many of the snaps.  That’s just NOT the fault of the players.  That’s coaching - scheme -not just Austin forgetting how after 5 years of doing it in front of the entire staff and HC.  That’s Austin teaching what Frost instructed him to do.  It has to be.  

You're really struggling with this aren't you.

• Plus1 3