***The 2022 Offensive Line***

suh_fan93

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The argument with you is that you think they pass block on RPOs.  Which they don't.  That's not an opinion.  That's how the play is designed.

The coaching change was because our players sucked at blocking both run and pass plays.  That doesn't mean RPOs are bad or pass plays are bad or run plays are bad.  Our players just sucked at it.  So, get a new coach that will coach it differently.

It's a pretty easy concept actually.

This right here.  Regardless if you are a run the damn ball guy or pass the damn ball guy, I think most can agree we really didn't block either scheme well enough to win.  For the past 4 years.  If we sling it 50 times a game and win?  Great.  If we run it 50 times a game and win?  Better:D  I just want to win.  I do not see anything in the recruit rankings that show our OL should under perform.  I'm leaning towards coaching issues and hoping it gets fixed.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The argument with you is that you think they pass block on RPOs.  Which they don't.  That's not an opinion.  That's how the play is designed.

The coaching change was because our players sucked at blocking both run and pass plays.  That doesn't mean RPOs are bad or pass plays are bad or run plays are bad.  Our players just sucked at it.  So, get a new coach that will coach it differently.

It's a pretty easy concept actually.

I have no idea how NU coaches it.  But I will say in our system at my school we do treat RPOs a little bit different than called runs.  On a straight run, we will ask a lineman to chip a defender while heading straight to the LB for a block.  In our RPO's, we ask that that the lineman going to the LB help turn the defender before going to the LB.  This allows just a second or so to allow for the possible pass downfield.

So if NU is designing it anywhere close to this, I'd say you're both right :dunno

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I have no idea how NU coaches it.  But I will say in our system at my school we do treat RPOs a little bit different than called runs.  On a straight run, we will ask a lineman to chip a defender while heading straight to the LB for a block.  In our RPO's, we ask that that the lineman going to the LB help turn the defender before going to the LB.  This allows just a second or so to allow for the possible pass downfield.

So if NU is designing it anywhere close to this, I'd say you're both right :dunno

You're right on. In an RPO you have to block the first level like a run, but you can't climb to the 2nd level and block like you would on a normal run play. It is blocked more like a run then a pass play, but it's not blocked like a traditional run play either

3 hours ago, funhusker said:

I'm pretty sure "run blocking using a different technique" is not "pass blocking" so no.

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'm pretty sure "run blocking using a different technique" is not "pass blocking" so no.

Didn’t say it was.  I was just trying to add to the conversation that it’s difficult to put OL schemes into nice little boxes where it’s an either/or between pass and run.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, funhusker said:

Didn’t say it was.  I was just trying to add to the conversation that it’s difficult to put OL schemes into nice little boxes where it’s an either/or between pass and run.

darn, Wisconsin sure seems good at doing this? always a great OL.  recruiting i guess?

• 4 weeks later...

4 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

The key to our oline is development.  We are playing too many underclassmen.  Austin did not help us out in this area.  We need to pray that we do not lose any of starters, as we are paper thin!

Eh ... no argument on your first sentence.  But I'm not sure your second is valid.

Of the guys who will probably be in the two-deep:

6th year - Hixon

5th year - Williams, Anthony

4th year - Benhart, Piper, Nouili

3rd year - Corcoran

2nd year - Prochazka, Lutovsky

So only one for sure starter is earlier than their third year in college.  We have six out of nine that have been here at least four.  

• Oh Yeah! 1
5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh ... no argument on your first sentence.  But I'm not sure your second is valid.

Of the guys who will probably be in the two-deep:

6th year - Hixon

5th year - Williams, Anthony

4th year - Benhart, Piper, Nouili

3rd year - Corcoran

2nd year - Prochazka, Lutovsky

So only one for sure starter is earlier than their third year in college.  We have six out of nine that have been here at least four.  

Cocoran & Benhart played so bad last year, they looked like they never played in college before!  3 out of the six are transfers, of which 2 are new.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Cocoran & Benhart played so bad last year, they looked like they never played in college before!

Corcoran played like someone who got injured in fall camp and never actually had a chance to heal. Remember that they were going to have him sit out, but they rushed him back because Banks was so terrible at tackle.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
20 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Cocoran & Benhart played so bad last year, they looked like they never played in college before!  3 out of the six are transfers, of which 2 are new.  

None of which has anything to do with your claim that we're playing too many underclassmen.