***The 2022 Offensive Line***

suh_fan93

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

Thanks Suh, I watch it early today.

I am ok with what @Mavric reported to us, with Teddy, Cork, Hix, Bando, Benhart at an early top unit.  We know things are fluid and can change.

Hix and Bando are 6 year SRs at 23.  I am pretty sure they are way more stronger and dedicated then when they were 20.  So RN it looks good.  

KWilliams, Lutovsky, HAnthonty in the mix.  

A lot of guys will see the field game 2 and 3 for sure.  

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Its funny how the whole out look of the o-line changes with Teddy starting. I know if he wasn't playing to start the season husker fans would doubt if Raiola could improve the line with what he had out there. Teddy changed the narrative!!!!

I was thinking about this and I wonder if he'll travel to Ireland.

If we could win the Northwestern game without him and then sit him for the next two non-conference cream puff games it might actually be pretty huge in terms of his rehabilitation.

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Undone said:

If we could win the Northwestern game without him and then sit him for the next two non-conference cream puff games it might actually be pretty huge in terms of his rehabilitation.

I see your logic but I don’t see anyway we don’t put everything we have into winning the Irish bowl.  A flat tire in Dublin puts entire bowl game goal in real jeopardy.  Team needs to win first 3 to get some kind of confidence and morale booster.  The road gets real bumpy thereafter with ‘winnables’ but mostly 4 qtr battles thru entire Big Ten imo.  We’ve had talent but failed to follow thru for 5 years in a row.  Changed a lot of pieces but still short vs about all comers.  No gummies.  Even games 2 and 3 are not cupcakes for the Huskers in the past decade frankly.  

2 hours ago, Undone said:

If he is healthy he will play and not sit out. This year is super important to win. They can't afford to lose like 84HuskerLaw stated. Nebraska needs all the help they can get to not only get to a bowl game but to have Scott Frost coach for years to come.

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

If Teddy starts the first game does anyone believe that the o-line is still the most unproven group that Nebraska has? He certainly gives them a boost but does that mean there isn't much uncertainty now?? Meaning people aren't so worried on the what if more like what now???

No.  The O line has 5 spots to fill 2 deep with about 7-8 guys, mostly unproven, at a Big Ten winning level.  They have quite a few starts and Big Ten game reps but none were anywhere near stellar.  Some are very mature and all have ample time in college fb.  So deer in headlights reactions won’t be a problem.  And another off season of maturity and development will help.   

New schemes and play design and or sequencing and structure can be a great help or, conversely, be a recipe for failure.  I lean toward the former.  Whip is a wise old owl whose been all around at all levels.  He will find ways to limit the weakness exposures and use strengths advantageously.   
I believe the most critical parts are there if they avoid injuries for a few weeks to get gelled.  Whip may even package some players w/plays and show some new wrinkles vs NW to get an edge or even the odds a bit.  
i really hope he finds a run game to offset and set up the passes.  If so, we can score 30* a game and wins will come.  

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

If Teddy starts the first game does anyone believe that the o-line is still the most unproven group that Nebraska has? He certainly gives them a boost but does that mean there isn't much uncertainty now?? Meaning people aren't so worried on the what if more like what now???

Personally I think it's about whether or not his knee is 100% and also whether it gets reinjured. He might play in that first game but that doesn't mean the knee is where it needs to be for him to be where he needs to be to help the unit.

If he were 100% healthy and doesn't reinjure in 2022 then yeah, I'd predict a much better outcome for our line's performance this year.

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

Personally I think it's about whether or not his knee is 100% and also whether it gets reinjured. He might play in that first game but that doesn't mean the knee is where it needs to be for him to be where he needs to be to help the unit.

If he were 100% healthy and doesn't reinjure in 2022 then yeah, I'd predict a much better outcome for our line's performance this year.

If his knee wasn't ready for a game he wouldn't be out there full go at practice.  I would hope the training staff and coaches would he smart.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Imo Nebraska won't play him if his knee isn't 100% or even practice with the team. I think the reason why he has that knee brace on rn is to support the knee(not take any chances before the season starts). I know Nebraska football players want to help the team win but the coaches do look out for their players as well and won't put them in a position to reinjure them if they aren't fully healthy.

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Teddy and Turner being back will certainly help, but the group has been so bad for so long that it should automatically be a major concern no matter who is there. And while Raiola might be a good coach in the long-run, he's still very much an uncertainty, and it's hard to see a relative unknown like him being able to engineer a quick turnaround with the group that takes the longest to develop and gel as a unit.

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, Toe said:

Teddy and Turner being back will certainly help, but the group has been so bad for so long that it should automatically be a major concern no matter who is there. And while Raiola might be a good coach in the long-run, he's still very much an uncertainty, and it's hard to see a relative unknown like him being able to engineer a quick turnaround with the group that takes the longest to develop and gel as a unit.

Definitely a concern until proven otherwise, but I'm optimistic. These are talented dudes, and they do have some experience. Maybe I'm gullible, but the narrative that Austin ran a passive just get a body on a body style 1) seems to match what I saw on the field, and 2) would also seem to be easier to fix than issues with talent level or guys not fitting the scheme.