***The 2022 Offensive Line***

suh_fan93

OL preview from SSO.  And some things that make you go "hmmmm"

Also, you have new OL coach Donovan Raiola in place, who takes over for Coach Austin who was with Scott Frost for 6 years as his OL coach. There definitely needed to be a change, as Frost and Austin butted heads the last few years, but some of the narrative really frustrates me. First, it was Austin who was telling our staff we need to be more north and south with our running game. The outside zone stuff just didn’t work with how our OL was built.

And the fact people try saying it was Austin who wanted it a certain way is crazy to me. It’s not like Frost was trying to run downhill and Austin just taught some awful technique for it. If Austin needed to be the scapegoat, that’s fine. But we are some of the smartest football fans in the game, let’s be better than thinking all of a sudden we have some wild new philosophy Raiola is teaching to get off the ball faster. It’s actually the offensive scheme changing that has helped us. Trust me, if Austin was still here under Whipple, you’d probably be happy with what we are seeing.

https://herbieshangout.com/2022/08/12/fall-camp-2022-offensive-line/

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Also, you have new OL coach Donovan Raiola in place, who takes over for Coach Austin who was with Scott Frost for 6 years as his OL coach. There definitely needed to be a change, as Frost and Austin butted heads the last few years, but some of the narrative really frustrates me. First, it was Austin who was telling our staff we need to be more north and south with our running game. The outside zone stuff just didn’t work with how our OL was built.

And the fact people try saying it was Austin who wanted it a certain way is crazy to me. It’s not like Frost was trying to run downhill and Austin just taught some awful technique for it. If Austin needed to be the scapegoat, that’s fine. But we are some of the smartest football fans in the game, let’s be better than thinking all of a sudden we have some wild new philosophy Raiola is teaching to get off the ball faster. It’s actually the offensive scheme changing that has helped us. Trust me, if Austin was still here under Whipple, you’d probably be happy with what we are seeing.

Meh....Is this Austin's press secretary?

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think Austin was scapegoated. I read somewhere that Chins said Austin was the most respected coach from the initial staff, not to mention he produced the single highest drafted position group on the team.  Not saying his lines were perfect, but he's taking too much blame for the offenses past problems.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

I think Austin was scapegoated. I read somewhere that Chins said Austin was the most respected coach from the initial staff, not to mention he produced the single highest drafted position group on the team.  Not saying his lines were perfect, but he's taking too much blame for the offenses past problems.

Jurgens? He didn't produce Jurgens, that was freakish genetics. A different coach had to be brought in to get his snaps right. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I would tend to give Austin a little more benefit-of-the-doubt if not for the part where it sounds like Frost had to go over to the OL group and demand that Teddy be made a starter last year.

It does seem odd that they had been together for so long but apparently had trouble getting on the same page.

• Plus1 2
54 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

I read somewhere that Chins said Austin was the most respected coach from the initial staff

I don't know if I buy that. How many offensive linemen have we had leave with eligibility remaining?