***The 2022 Offensive Line***

suh_fan93

3 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Austin didn't bring in either of those guys and didn't he only have them for a year?  Jaimes was getting drafted regardless

He did have them 2018-2020. But Farniok did not look like an NFL guy for much of his time here, and by all accounts he's solid in the league. You'd hope that talent would've been more evident here. And Jaimes went from Austin saying he could be one of the top tackles in the country to a 5th round pick - I think those guys got drafted on talent more than polish.

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

(SSO): It’s actually the offensive scheme changing that has helped us. Trust me, if Austin was still here under Whipple, you’d probably be happy with what we are seeing.

From all accounts I've heard, the offensive plan is Whipple's passing scheme and Frost's running scheme, ie the overall running scheme is basically the same as before. And from what I've heard, most of improvement is on the running side. So if the overall running scheme hasn't changed but performance has improved there, wouldn't that mean that it's the OL coaching philosophy change that made the difference?

And let's not pretend that the problems with the offensive line were all schematic. The number of penalties they racked up were arguably an even bigger problem than the blocking. That falls squarely on Austin.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, Toe said:

From all accounts I've heard, the offensive plan is Whipple's passing scheme and Frost's running scheme, ie the overall running scheme is basically the same as before.

Frost said that they were installing all of Whipple's offense and then would mix in "his" running schemes later in camp since most were familiar with those.  Not sure where they stand on getting his runs installed.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I have to stop smoking crack.  I swear Jaimes played like 2 years for Riley and then one more under Frost then bounced.  

Well, 2018 - 202 would be three years.  So, if they left after 5 years, then they would have had 2 years with Riley.

I don't remember how many years they were here.

4 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Austin didn't bring in either of those guys and didn't he only have them for a year?  Jaimes was getting drafted regardless

Good point. Riley brought in Jaimes, Farniok and Jurgens.  I think Austin got to coach them 2 or 3 years while they were here.

"When I went out interviewing people, I wanted to find somebody who felt the same way I did about the mentality and technique," Frost said, "and Donnie knows it better than I do, but I love what he taught and it's coming to fruition now."

Frost didn't want to talk about why it look so long to make a change with former O-line coach Greg Austin.

“I don’t wanna talk about that today," Frost said. "I have too much respect for people that were here before that are great coaches. This just fits what I believe in better.”

Rivals

• Oh Yeah! 2

In the most recent Pick 6 Podcast put out by the OWH, the beat writers have a good, 10-minute or so chat about Raiola and why he was hired. Simply put, he was hired to do what Frost wants to do at o-line. Does that make Donavon a bad coach? No it doesn’t. But he’s inexperienced and is coaching the o-line the way the head coach wants it done. So, if the o-line struggles, it should be more on Frost, and less on Raiola.

Also, McKewon mentions that the o-line coach gets too much criticism at NU, because everyone gets compared to Milt Tenopir, who Sam calls the “best o-line coach in the history of college football” and a guy who could have been a head coach at 20-30 programs across the country, but decided to stay at NU. Milt designed the run game at NU. He wasn’t just the “run game coordinator”, he was the designer of how the run game was blocked, and back then it was very exotic.  So, when Barney Cotton comes in after Milt, and is still “really good”, but isn’t Milt, he gets slammed by the fans. Sam didn’t have much good to say about Cavanaugh. He said Cav was a grumpy old man, who was going to play the 5 best linemen, and that was that. He also wouldn’t give proper answers to questions from the media.

Just giving some further info on the o-line, with 2 weeks left before the season officially starts. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1