***The 2022 Offensive Line***

suh_fan93

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Prochazka isn't fully healthy yet.  He had a very severe knee injury less than a year ago and is being asked to rush back because there really is no one else to play that spot.  I think it's fair to give him a pass on his play so far this season.

That’s what I’m saying I think he’s either not fully healthy or just struggling getting back to form. But they seem content taking a few lumps with him now or like you said the next option still isn’t any better. 

• Plus1 1

I forced myself to rewatch some plays to see how the North Dakota defense was winning the push on the vast majority of snaps, run or pass.  

I'm not smart enough to know if it was blocking schemes or just old fashioned manhandling, but it looked like the latter.

Whipple is running the kind of offense that can mitigate a weak OL: the short drops, multiple options, and generally quick decision making by Thompson. Grant's ability to make something out of nothing and a couple QB keeps helped open it up in the second half — but I didn't see the OL get significant forward push until the fourth quarter. I don't think we would have tired ND out earlier if we had "committed" to the run. We ran a decent ratio and they just stopped us. Or Grant went rogue. 

If we can survive a couple more games like this, something might gel. But man, any P5 defensive line would be licking its chops at this point.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Prochazka isn't fully healthy yet.

I think you're probably right. And on top of maybe not being fully healthy or having his knee even be permanently not as strong as it was before, he's a true sophomore. It's easy to expect a ton out of him because he's physically a legit monster and so naturally gifted...but you're generally not playing a sophomore if the team has its s*** together.

Our team doesn't, and that's why he's playing. It's a cluster out there but it is what it is. But some of these guys are really talented and have the body structure and strength to get really good, I don't think a lot of people are getting that part (not at all referring to you, 'Husk).

• Plus1 1

“I felt like these last two games personally I was in my head during the first half,” Prochzaka said Monday. “The run game was feeling fine, pass sets were kind of shaky but in the second half I felt a lot more comfortable and I settled in. If anything, I just need to make sure I do that in the first half.”

Developing that comfort level from the first snap of the game will come with time for Prochazka, but his situation isn’t a unique one among Nebraska’s starting offensive line.

The Huskers’ two most experienced linemen in terms of games started are also sophomores — left guard Turner Corcoran has started 13 games in his college career, while right tackle Bryce Benhart has made 12 starts. Meanwhile, senior center Trent Hixson had started just two games prior to this season and senior right guard Broc Bando made the first start of his career in NU’s season opener.

From left to right, NU’s offensive line unit lacks the game experience that other Big Ten schools might possess.

So, what’s the remedy? For Prochazka and his teammates, an openness to learn from first-year offensive line coach Donovan Raiola has dominated their efforts in the last few months.

“Each game there’s an opportunity to learn,” Prochazka said. “No matter how good you think you played or how bad you think you played, there’s something to improve on. I think we’ve done a real good job these first two games of taking coaching and making those improvements where we need to.”

OWH

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I know it's not recommended to swap centers for reps, or left tackles, but it would be beneficial to get your depth playing some meaningful snaps.

Wouldn't kill them to play Piper and Williams for a full series or two (one each half?)  We just played FCS North Dakota and next up is GS.  Why wait for 40 points leads (which we seldom ever do) or the final stretch of the year, should things go wrong?  My point is, get them involved and on film;  Keep them involved, motivated and prepared.

40 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Hixson has started way more than 2 games prior to this season.

40 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Hixson has started way more than 2 games prior to this season.

Idk how many starts each guys has had but I’ve been concerned about the lack of PT for so many of the back ups across entire team.  A pattern of Frost teams has been good offensive drives early in each half and struggles down the stretches and the OTs as well.  Starters get tired and can’t or won’t play backups as not good enough or don’t trust or whatever.  Vicious circle.  

Of course we’ve have had so many 1 to 2 score games (win or lose mostly).   This has kept many 3rds and 4ths from ever getting more than token game reps.  I think Frost decided to get guys in the STs plays just to get them on the field somehow.  It may explain the numbers of guys not staying around longer in part.  It also explains the horrid STs play when the empty the bench approach puts the pine riders on the field - guys that are all but tuned out of the game anyway.  

So our starters play almost all the games cause the games are tight and coaches are desperate to find a win. The backups don’t expect to play and have come to expect they’ll been years in the waiting.  It’s bound to be discouraging.  The current O line starters seem to be like returning starters in familiarity but since O line has been largely awful for so many years, I guess the familiarity is just from so much discussion on what could be done to find better O line product.