***The 2022 Offensive Line***

suh_fan93

22 hours ago, Undone said:

I think you're probably right. And on top of maybe not being fully healthy or having his knee even be permanently not as strong as it was before, he's a true sophomore. It's easy to expect a ton out of him because he's physically a legit monster and so naturally gifted...but you're generally not playing a sophomore if the team has its s*** together.

Our team doesn't, and that's why he's playing. It's a cluster out there but it is what it is. But some of these guys are really talented and have the body structure and strength to get really good, I don't think a lot of people are getting that part (not at all referring to you, 'Husk).

I saw Teddy get beat across his face several times.  It makes me wonder if the knee he injured just doesn't quite have the strength to push back to take the outside rusher inside.  That's the cardinal rule of tackles - never get beat across your face.  It happened to him several times on Saturday.  I don't quite remember because I had 38 coors lites on the golf course that morning, but didn't they end up moving him to right tackle later in the game?  

• Oh Yeah! 1

7 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

I don't quite remember because I had 38 coors lites on the golf course that morning, but didn't they end up moving him to right tackle later in the game?  

lol at the "38 Coors Lights" comment.   :)

He did play at right tackle for a bit I think, yes. I had been worried that the knee either wouldn't be ready by week one or that it would never be the same again. Hard to know on that one as a fan at this point but I'm sure it'll be apparent one way or the other by the end of the season.

• Oh Yeah! 1
Just now, Undone said:

lol at the "38 Coors Lights" comment.   :)

He did play at right tackle for a bit I think, yes. I had been worried that the knee either wouldn't be ready by week one or that it would never be the same again. Hard to know on that one as a fan at this point but I'm sure it'll be apparent one way or the other by the end of the season.

I believe the only times he has lined up on the right side are when we go unbalanced.

I don't know if he gets crossed up on the other side but his pass blocking has not been good on the right in either game.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

Hixson has started way more than 2 games prior to this season.

It seems like everytime I see Hixson he is on the ground because he's either been bulldozed or whiffed on a block. I really don't understand the logic of starting him. I know piper isn't great but at least his ceiling is higher.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

It seems like everytime I see Hixson he is on the ground because he's either been bulldozed or whiffed on a block. I really don't understand the logic of starting him. I know piper isn't great but at least his ceiling is higher.

Both Hixon & Bando’s entire career can be summarized in question this: Why is this guy playing? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I do wonder how much of the poor Oline play is on Hixson. He is supposed to call out blocking schemes and direct traffic on the oline. If he's not doing that part of his job correctly, it would make the play of everyone else on the oline look terrible in return. Just a thought. Maybe wishful thinking on my part. I just can't believe we have 5 guys starting that are as bad as what they've shown. 

Just now, Decked said:

Both Hixon & Bando’s entire career can be summarized in question this: Why is this guy playing? 

Yeah I never been a fan of Hixon. I get it he is a former walk on but he consistently gets over powered in every position he has played. Maybe thats our best option atm. Everyone remembers when Piper got ran over like a freight train on the kick.

13 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

OL hasn't looked great but where do we get off that it is horrible? New OC, new OL coach, new WR coach, new RB coach. Not gonna go out there and light the world on fire right away. 

Because we have functioning eyeballs. They played better in the second half but when you are struggling to block ND in both pass and run game you’re gonna be in a world of hurt. 

• Plus1 3
47 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

OL hasn't looked great but where do we get off that it is horrible? New OC, new OL coach, new WR coach, new RB coach. Not gonna go out there and light the world on fire right away. 

Agreed.

And when was the last time we had a back have numbers like 101 & 189 in back-to-back games? Even though Grant might possibly be a pretty phenomenal talent that doesn't really just happen with a completely terrible line.

• Plus1 1

Starting to re-watch, and seems like they did fine overall. The first half sacks were 1) Prochazka getting beat on the right side (I agree with Mavric, he does not look comfortable when we go unbalanced), and 2) Bando missing his guy when Benhart tried to pass him off to take the edge guy. Not coincidentally, Lutovsky got the next series at RG. We did get a decent push most of the time.

This isn't the pipeline, but they're getting better and the OL takes time to gel. 2019 Minnesota opened the year beating SDSU, Fresno, and Georgia Southern by a combined 13 points thanks to some miraculous plays, giving up 11 sacks and averaging 3.1 YPC. They averaged 4.5 YPC and gave up 19 sacks (Still high but a lot better) in the remaining 10 games against conference opponents and Auburn. I don't expect our line to improve that much, but they'll be better than the are now.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
25 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed.

And when was the last time we had a back have numbers like 101 & 189 in back-to-back games? Even though Grant might possibly be a pretty phenomenal talent that doesn't really just happen with a completely terrible line.

This is my thoughts as well. We also have held up decent with longer passing routes. Grant has made people miss but you can't have that many yards being terrible. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Forgot to mention that we lost our best interior OL for the season. Idk what people expected up to this point