***The 2022 Offensive Line***

suh_fan93

9 hours ago, HANC said:

How many have actually listened to the interview with SF, or better yet, watched it. Anyone with half a wit can, one, hear in his voice and laughter, this was coated with pure sarcasm and exaggeration…. and, two, if watching, you can obviously see the smirk and grin as he began and continued his comments.

Too bad people love to take the “written” word, with no prior context, and make ignorant statements, like they truly know what’s going on… I always tell my kids, don’t pretend to be  smarter than you are, because you will end up looking dumber than you are….

It really doesn't matter. The head coach of a blue blood program making several millions of dollars a year has to have higher social intelligence than giving folks the opportunity to misconstrue something like that. 

Frost saying something dumb is definitely a better scenario than the alternative of Frost believing in a dangerous unhealthy old-school philosophy of running his players into the ground, but it's still an indictment.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Frost knows the entire program largely rests on the shoulders of the O line, comprised of about 7-9 guys to play about 700 to 800 snaps over about 90 days.  The schedule may not be quite as difficult as last year, but it’s still pretty challenging as it gets tougher as time passes.

In many ways, this season is make or break for Frost and some or perhaps all the players, his fb staff and  even a number of administration people as well.  Even Trev Alberts’s future is at risk if the whole thing goes bad in the wrong ways.   The entire athletics Dept needs FB to survive. And survival requires some winning at least.  Real, meaningful, eye test and some statistical supported evidence.  A winning season, better overall play, positive publicity, continued fan base enthusiasm and financial support, University academic side support, etc etc.  

Almost nobody wants Frost to fail.   I’m sure he’s rubbed a few the wrong way but generally he has not alienated the powers that be or he’d be gone already.   

All this and his family and career future on the line.  He really needs a big turnaround season, not just a minimum score on a pass or fail.  If he is correct, that the team is ‘close’ then he needs to find the recipe for it - now, and none of the ‘someday soon, maybe’.  

The O line is the Achilles heel and he has to have them find the stamina, guts and endurance and conditioning to last the season.  

I’m sure the O linemen themselves know this too.   They feel the intense scrutiny and pressure. All eyes will be watching, something that does not normally happen.  Most encouraging to me, is the intense effort and courage the O line guys have shown to not only stay positive and continue to work so hard, but do so in a positive way.  The team is, from all appearances, unified. No linemen have quit, transferred or whatever.  To work yourself to the point of exhaustion and nausea tells me the desire and effort is great.  And getting in the best possible shape is the way these guys will succeed and not let themselves or their coach or teammates down.  This is the very essence of what makes athletics great. These guys have tremendous character, mental and physical strength and pride.  This indicates Husker heart imo. There is some real culture in Lincoln, beneath the surface, The teams haven’t quit and seem more determined than ever to get on a winning track.  Frost, Raiola and Austin deserve credit but mostly that O line group!  It didn’t happen over a single spring and summer. 

How they play, we will see, but for me,  I’ve already decided the 2021 O line will be one fans can be proud of.  Don’t be too surprised if at the start of the 4th quarters, you see those 4 fingers raised up saying the tough get tougher.  GBR!!

• Oh Yeah! 1
13 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

For the record, I never puked one time in football, basketball or tennis, camp, practice or games…..but I wasn’t very good either :lol:  Plus I’m not sure puking is a good thing. Seems counter productive to me.

I did puke at work once when I was hungover…..actually I was probably still drunk from the night before. Got in about 5AM and went to the construction site at 7. Yeah, I was def still drunk.

I used to puke every year at the start of summer conditioning. Some years I did it right after our run/sprints. Others I'd make it all the way back from the track to the weight room and as soon as the cold A/C hit me I'd have to run back out and blow chunks.

I also puked on oleTom Osborne field during a husker weight lifting camp. They had us run stairs to the top of the old North Stadium and I was a chubby out of shape kid. The oldest kid there was laughing at me and told me Frank was going to be pissed when he heard I puked on his field. Also fun fact: the stairs literally got taller the higher up you went. That was bulls#!t.

• Oh Yeah! 2

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

It's not really Frost's fault there's always going to be a mob of morons who can't recognize an obvious joke and who go out of their way to find a reason to get butthurt.

Giving folks the opportunity to misconstrue is what you're doing any time you speak publicly.  Maybe we should blame the morons who are doing the misconstruing in the first place.

The point is, you have to know there are morons who will skew everything you say, that's your job. You make 4/5 million per year to be smarter than this. Not the news guy making 50k or the average joe who will always think whatever the hell they want.  You don't give them the opportunity.  

It's called accountability, not blaming others for things you should have done better.  That's what I personally want from a Husker head coach and he lacks in that area.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Also fun fact: the stairs literally got taller the higher up you went. That was bulls#!t.

Ain’t that the truth.   Our coaches used to have trash cans spread throughout the basketball arena for when we had indoor stair conditioning at the start of winter conditioning when everyone got fat and happy over winter break.  That sucked.   

• Plus1 1

55 minutes ago, Toe said:

I know in the 90s used to weigh the guys before and after practice and they'd have to drink fluids until their weight was acceptable again. But I'm sure there were guys puking then too.

I think the most dangerous thing with puking would be to continue without drinking fluids. That's a sure recipe for dangerous dehydration, and I'm sure nobody is going to allow that to happen.

22 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Maybe that was the reason we didn't hear much from Frost during Big 10 Media days.  Someone might have kindly told him maybe it's best to keep her short there Scott.  

Who knows!

Or maybe he was trying to have his players be the faces of the program. There is only so many things SF can say to get you excited for the season. If his players get in front of the camera and speak maybe fans will get more interesting. Either way lets move on to the preparation of the week and who starts and dominates the Northwestern d-line.