Jump to content


***The 2022 Offensive Line***


Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Obviously they are missing guys but this was (reportedly) the first unit for the scrimmage today:

 

LT - Miller

LG - Williams

C - Piper

RG - Lutvosky

RT - Anthony

I like it!  A week ago or so they mentioned spring had 2 starters out, which is probably LT (Teddy P) and probably C (Conrad)... or perhaps RT too (Benhart). 

 

My main thing here is these guys are getting reps.  I like Piper at Center, a little suprised NN isn't there also.  I love Williams and Lutovsky for Guards, most definitely.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

1 hour ago, admo said:

I like it!  A week ago or so they mentioned spring had 2 starters out, which is probably LT (Teddy P) and probably C (Conrad)... or perhaps RT too (Benhart). 

 

My main thing here is these guys are getting reps.  I like Piper at Center, a little suprised NN isn't there also.  I love Williams and Lutovsky for Guards, most definitely.

Yeah, we're missing probably the top 3 tackles (Teddy, Corcoran, and Benhart) and one of those (Corcoran) might be the favorite at Center. Given that, seems like about what was expected. I was curious who outside of Teddy and Corcoran could play LT, and apparently it's Ezra Miller! Better than Austin's idea of trying Nouili out there (never in a game as far as I know) - that dude has the most 'Guard' build I have ever seen. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

 

I think something that gets lost in the walk on conversation is the fact that these guys would have had many scholarship offers most likely had they been players in 2022.  I don't think a walk on today is equivalent to a walk on in the mid 90s with the exposure now and the level of effort that smaller schools put in these days.  While I love the story,  I don't know if having 70 walk ons in 2022 is really helping this program.

  • Plus1 4
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think something that gets lost in the walk on conversation is the fact that these guys would have had many scholarship offers most likely had they been players in 2022.  I don't think a walk on today is equivalent to a walk on in the mid 90s with the exposure now and the level of effort that smaller schools put in these days.  While I love the story,  I don't know if having 70 walk ons in 2022 is really helping this program.

 

And back then playing at DONU was an honor and the ultimate goal for a lot of kids, especially in-state or bordering states. With the state the program has been in for the last 20 years and especially the last 7 years we are having a lot harder time just getting the kids to come to NU even with scholarship offers which would have been unthinkable in the '90's.

Link to comment

Tenopir knew the type of guys he wanted and needed and he ‘built’ his linemen.  I’m not so sure the quality of walk on players overall has fallen that much from the Solich era but prior to that time, the recruiting by other colleges around the 500 mile radius was less challenging.  I think largely due to two factors:   One - NU was an elite destination program.  And two - cost to attend for a walk on was not nearly so inflated.  Yes, a scholarship was very helpful but paying your own way was doable for most ‘average’ low/middle class students.   That college education was worth the cost but today, it’s not so certain.  That varies / cycles somewhat but it’s still very expensive for students coming out of high school.  And a larger % share of high school kids have worked very little compared to back then. It used to be that kids started working by 5th grade or so.  That allowed then to accumulate some $$ to cover a year or two of college without need for much outside funding.  Graduation with relatively small college debt was not uncommon.  Not so sure that’s true today. 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

 

Seven seniors in that pic. Meanwhile, our roster currently shows a grand total of six guys in the junior and senior classes combined. I still feel like the #1 problem with our O-line probably isn't so much the coaching, but rather the failure to get old and stay old. Wonder how many true freshmen o-linemen we'll be trotting out this year...

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
47 minutes ago, Toe said:

Seven seniors in that pic. Meanwhile, our roster currently shows a grand total of six guys in the junior and senior classes combined. I still feel like the #1 problem with our O-line probably isn't so much the coaching, but rather the failure to get old and stay old.

 

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but I don't think that's really an apples-to-apples comparison.  First, I don't think all those guys are scholarship guys (and don't seem to all be seniors, despite what the caption says).  Also, none of the guys that Frost recruited (out of high school) can even be upper-classmen yet.

 

We failed pretty miserably at OL recruiting for several years.  It takes awhile to recover from that.

 

47 minutes ago, Toe said:

Wonder how many true freshmen o-linemen we'll be trotting out this year...

 

Considering we only have one  on the roster I'm going with zero.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Toe said:

 

Seven seniors in that pic. Meanwhile, our roster currently shows a grand total of six guys in the junior and senior classes combined. I still feel like the #1 problem with our O-line probably isn't so much the coaching, but rather the failure to get old and stay old. Wonder how many true freshmen o-linemen we'll be trotting out this year...

And that’s why rebuilding the lines will take longer than restocking other positions.  

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

22 minutes ago, Toe said:

@BigRedBuster Sure, rebuilding a line can be a long process. And when it's been four whole years and you've made a net zero progress on that process, it's kind of a bad thing, you know?

I would tend to agree. However, the wild card is the new coaching. It’s possible that it will show us that the talent has been growing in the unit. It just hadn’t been coached well. 

Link to comment

Decent article about OL progress. Yes, it's only spring, but it is positive.  One comment, echoed by Frost stands out and it talks about the OL coming off the ball.  IIRC a player commented on it on twitter.  Didn't get a lot of traction on the board, but Frost now echoes the same thing. Odd he mentions not getting off the ball was a frustration of his.  Hate it took 4 years to change, but glad it is.    

 

“The first thing is they’re just coming off the ball,” Frost said. “That’s been something that I’ve been frustrated with for a long time. Shoot, when I was playing here, guys looked like they were in 40-yard dashes when the ball was snapped. That wasn’t up to the standard that I wanted. That’s the first thing.

 

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/revamped-nu-offensive-line-already-showing-progress

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would tend to agree. However, the wild card is the new coaching. It’s possible that it will show us that the talent has been growing in the unit. It just hadn’t been coached well. 

TBH, I am thinking this will be the case.  We have gotten some highly rated kids that, IMHO, have not been coached as well as other positions.  I look at the TE play and defensive side of the ball that shows we are getting the right kids.  Just need to match that up with the right coaches.  All signs are pointing to better coaches. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, lo country said:

Decent article about OL progress. Yes, it's only spring, but it is positive.  One comment, echoed by Frost stands out and it talks about the OL coming off the ball.  IIRC a player commented on it on twitter.  Didn't get a lot of traction on the board, but Frost now echoes the same thing. Odd he mentions not getting off the ball was a frustration of his.  Hate it took 4 years to change, but glad it is.    

 

“The first thing is they’re just coming off the ball,” Frost said. “That’s been something that I’ve been frustrated with for a long time. Shoot, when I was playing here, guys looked like they were in 40-yard dashes when the ball was snapped. That wasn’t up to the standard that I wanted. That’s the first thing.

 

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/revamped-nu-offensive-line-already-showing-progress

 

Um, coach . . . they ran the damn ball when you played here.

 

Of course the linemen aren't going to fire off the ball like that when you're passing it more than half the time.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, lo country said:

 

“The first thing is they’re just coming off the ball,” Frost said. “That’s been something that I’ve been frustrated with for a long time.

 

Every time I read this I'm like WTF? You're the head coach. It's your job to take action to correct what you see as wrong and not wait until your had is forced. You're loyalty should to the university and kids to improve the program not to an assistant coach you keep on even though you disagree with his philosophy.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
  • Create New...