***The 2022 Offensive Line***

suh_fan93

Maybe the answer [since we were told the defense needed to have "Blackshirts" given out because they worked so hard] or solution is that we come up with "White Baby Diapers" to pass out to the starting OL for getting manhandled.  They wear them during the next game as a reminder, "Oops, last time I crapped my pants".  At worst, they at least get some extra padding on their butt where they often get knocked onto.

21 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Just watching the game, we could not run off the left side.  We did better off right, yet the gameplan clearly favored the left as that's what we continually tried to do early on.  This means the Staff favors that side.  We finally wised up and went right...on occasion, with more success.

4 hours ago, Decked said:

The scary thing is since they only recruited one OL last year whoever takes over next season has just flat out no talent to work with. And it’s very hard to get anyone worth a crap from the portal. 

Agree, yet people still moaned about us not getting OLine from the portal.  Gonna need a new dynamic head coach along the lines of UM and players will come.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, Red Five said:

Northwestern OL coach:

This whole puke gate story has been so misreported.  It was Raiola who puked 15 or 20 times in fall camp.  He probably can’t hold anything down knowing he gave up an NFL gig to come deal with this Frost mess.  It’s making millions of Husker fans nauseous too!  

4 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

Just watching the game, we could not run off the left side.  We did better off right, yet the gameplan clearly favored the left as that's what we continually tried to do early on.  This means the Staff favors that side.  We finally wised up and went right...on occasion, with more success.

I read at some times we tried using 2 tackles on one side to no avail...

4 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

And those guys have all been in the program for a few years to include the S&C...And some were starters last year.  Maybe the difference is we had a running QB that they had to account for.  This year they put 4 on the DL to see if that would work.  It did and they then proceeded to simply physically manhandle our OL. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

And those guys have all been in the program for a few years to include the S&C...And some were starters last year.  Maybe the difference is we had a running QB that they had to account for.  This year they put 4 on the DL to see if that would work.  It did and they then proceeded to simply physically manhandle our OL. 

Kindly disagree.  We did not miss having a running/scrambling quarterback.

Look at Northwestern.  Their quarterback was awful last year, and he is a statue.  He is no scrambling threat, yet they had success running the ball at will.  Which means, neither do we.

Northwestern ran their basic plays between the tackles.  

Their offensive line had blocking schemes, perhaps, to counter our light weight 4 man front.  

Meanwhile it seems our OL guys struggled against their front.  Northwestern's DL is nowhere near the cream of the top within the league.  So I can see that most teams will run on them with success, and without needing a "running/scrambling" QB to make it happen.  

We do not need a running QB.  We have RBs.  We need better blocking schemes to open up holes for the backs......just like NW did.

• Plus1 2

Pretty cool seeing Lutovsky in the game during 3rd and some 4th quarter action.  Also noticed Piper in short yardage/goal line situation.

Some of the Hixson snaps were not always good, had one lousy one, but over all did just enough with the ball.  

Saw Prochazka completely ignore an outside blitzer that sacked Casey.  Teddy was focused in on assisting the LG on the play (doubling when it wasn't needed). Terrible play.

We ran a lot to Cork and Teddy.... and the holes were not there.

Benhart played well.

And let's be honest, the refs in Ireland (with Commissioner Warren  in the seats) did not throw flags.  I saw several holding plays on the Huskers (and NW) that were let go.  In fact, Hixson got away with a hold in the endzone that should have cost us a safety.  Also, some false starts were shrugged off.

Moving forward, I think we will see 8-10 penalties on the line now that the featured BigTen week 0 game in Ireland is over.

Raiola has a lot of work to do.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, admo said:

Raiola has a lot of work to do.

I'm starting to feel like we don't have the horses to get it done up front to begin with.  It also looked that group has some S & C issues because I can think of 3 plays off the top of my head where they actually created open running lanes and weren't physically getting stonewalled or getting pushed backward/twisted around. 

Sad thing is I'm not even talking about the piss poor pass protection.  Prochazka looked gassed yesterday as well and he wasn't the only linemen who looked that way.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1