***The 2022 Offensive Line***

suh_fan93

9 hours ago, TheSker said:

Jurgens owes Scott Frost a lot.

He's in the NFL because of Frost so you should probably chill out on calling out Frost on this one.

I agree with you.  Frost did a great job of identifying him as a center and developing him to be there.  I just thought it was BS when NU fans and Frost crapped on Cam for "leaving early".  The guy spent 4 years playing football at NU.  He wasn't leaving early.  He was ready to go earn great money playing in the NFL.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree with you.  Frost did a great job of identifying him as a center and developing him to be there.  I just thought it was BS when NU fans and Frost crapped on Cam for "leaving early".  The guy spent 4 years playing football at NU.  He wasn't leaving early.  He was ready to go earn great money playing in the NFL.

OH BS....Nobody crapped on him.  Sure, many wished that he would have stayed or even thought it would be best for him to stay.  But, that's far from "crapping on him".

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

OH BS....Nobody crapped on him.  Sure, many wished that he would have stayed or even thought it would be best for him to stay.  But, that's far from "crapping on him".

I vaguely remember a few people being kinda salty and throwing shade.  Not a big deal either way.  He put in his time got through mostly healthy after some  early injuries and now he's in the NFL.  Made the right decision  

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Rewatching the Rutgers game and if the o line doesn't take a step forward from this God awful performance, Raiola needs to be fired going into the bye.

It's more of the players, dude.  Not saying Raiola has done an amazing job, but he's working with the least talented and thinnest group on the team.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, SECHusker said:

Rewatching the Rutgers game and if the o line doesn't take a step forward from this God awful performance, Raiola needs to be fired going into the bye.

I don't disagree, but I don't think Whipple is doing him any favors. I know unbalanced has got us into some favorable looks as well, but we run it a lot and they constantly look lost. The first INT where CT got drilled as he threw it, the left side of our line is Hixson and Piper, the TE releases on a route. You have Hixson looping outside to take on their edge rusher one on one with bad leverage, that's a terrible matchup. I don't love the unbalanced line in general, I hate it as a passing formation.

The line just isn't great in any case, but that's not putting guys in a position to be successful. Hixson has actually probably been our best OL this year, but a lot of that is because the interior plays to his strengths. Going unbalanced can work in the run game because Vokolek blocks like a tackle, but IMO the passes out of it should all be play action and in situations where there is the slightest chance Whip would call a run play.

Just now, Mavric said:

I'm still trying to find those so if you could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Edit: I think the Vokolek TD was unbalanced.  So that's one.

Yeah, I realized both TDs were from an unbalanced formation actually. I still don't like it, but I'm sure I notice the negative plays way more than the positive ones because I don't have a good grasp of what defense do schematically to account for it. It's not going away with Whipple here, I just cringe seeing the interior guys pass blocking on the edge - although I cringe when I see Corcoran/Benhart/Anthony do it too.