***The 2022 Offensive Line***

suh_fan93

Well , remember Frost decided to get more hands on with helping the O line get better after he fired Austin and hired Raiola.  The line appears a little worse than the last 4 years.  At best it’s been near the bottom of the conference or worse.  Now it’s clearly one of poorest, most inconsistent and least athletic in P5.  Inexplicable really.  It’s not coaching techniques and fundamentals.  If it were, literally dozens of former players could say so.  It’s purely a lack of athleticism and immobility.  They’re slow and elephant like imo.  I’m no O line expert but it doesn’t take one to see our guys are big enough to impede traffic but can’t move defenders or themselves well.  

I think I’d try wider splits on some plays, narrower on others.  You’d think they could at least push straight ahead on straight ahead run plays but not so.  If there was a scheme to help them, we’ve tried it to no avail.  The rest of the team is playing better, mostly.  

20 minutes ago, TherealTomOsborne said:

Some of that is coached.  Watch how almost everyone on the oline really doesn't take steps, they all kind of freeze and reach with arm.  There is a lot of technical issues there that the entire line did, not just him.  The major problem would be his lack of recognition of what the defense was trying to accomplish.  Know that the inside guy is covered up and will be bull rushed, unable to help, along with his guy dipping into the gap.  The mental part is much more concerning than the effort.  No one on the line gave much of an effort.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, HANC said:

Some of that is coached.  Watch how almost everyone on the oline really doesn't take steps, they all kind of freeze and reach with arm.  There is a lot of technical issues there that the entire line did, not just him.  The major problem would be his lack of recognition of what the defense was trying to accomplish.  Know that the inside guy is covered up and will be bull rushed, unable to help, along with his guy dipping into the gap.  The mental part is much more concerning than the effort.  No one on the line gave much of an effort.

Fair enough.  It just seems like this team is flawed in so many ways.  We need this monkey off of our back.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, HANC said:

Watching this reminded me of coaching little girls softball (which I loved to do with my daughters).  Take a kid out, place them at second base and tell her it's her position to cover.  The ball comes 5 feet from her and she doesn't move.  You ask why?  She says...."because you told me to stand here".

There obviously was no mental thought process with Benhart on that play.  The guy was obviously shooting the gap and the guard had his own guy to block.  But....the coach said to stay there.