***The 2022 Offensive Line***

suh_fan93

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

A number of offensive linemen lost considerable weight compared to their 2021 roster profiles. Henry Lutovsky went from 330 to 310 pounds. Trent Hixson went from 320 to 305. Broc Bando went from 315 to 295. Bryce Benhart went from 330 to 315. One prominent lineman, Teddy Prochazka, actually gained weight — from 305 to 320 — but he was generally the exception to the rule.

OWH

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ndobney said:

The line is why I believe we only win 3 games this year. I believe special teams can improve, but won't matter much if the defense is going to be able to get to the QB before the ball does

I've said before that I expect this year's team to be exactly as good as its offensive line allows it to be, but even then I think 3 wins is too low. I mean the OL that Thompson played behind last year at Texas was arguably even worse than ours, and their defense was a much bigger problem than their offense, but they still managed 5 wins. Not that 5 wins is anything to celebrate at all, but I would at least set the floor there.

3 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

I think this defense is going to be very good. Top 10 top 5. 

Wrong thread? :P I think even with the transfers, the DL still has too many question marks to say too much about how good the defense could be.

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, ndobney said:

The line is why I believe we only win 3 games this year. I believe special teams can improve, but won't matter much if the defense is going to be able to get to the QB before the ball does

It got disclosed I think about halfway through the season that Turner Corcoran had a hamstring injury. Then Prochazka (who has to be the most game-ready freshman lineman we've had under Frost) had his season end with an injury in the first half of game seven.

So while I know all football teams battle injuries, those two injuries hurt the line a lot last year, IMO.

If Corcoran & Prochazka not only come back 100% healthy but also added numbers to their squat & clean in the offseason then I don't think our line makes us a three win team with the schedule we have. The floor is higher than that. And the line generally wasn't to blame for the turnovers last year, either.

I have to disagree on special teams not mattering much depending on other factors. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Undone said:

If Corcoran & Prochazka not only come back 100% healthy but also added numbers to their squat & clean in the offseason then I don't think our line makes us a three win team with the schedule we have.

I'd much rather see improvement in their Shuttle Run and 3-Cone Drill times....and that applies to the entire OL (Benhart & Banks in particular).

31 minutes ago, Cdn Blackshirt Two said:

I'd much rather see improvement in their Shuttle Run and 3-Cone Drill times....and that applies to the entire OL (Benhart & Banks in particular).

Maybe you're talking agility and footwork. If you're talking about conditioning, I don't think we had problems there last season.

But we got pushed around - especially with pass blocking.

2 hours ago, Undone said:

Maybe you're talking agility and footwork. If you're talking about conditioning, I don't think we had problems there last season.

But we got pushed around - especially with pass blocking.

Definitely agility.  Last year what I thought I saw was opposing DL's beat our OT's both to the outside and to the inside with vastly superior speed....so for me it was hard to assess "strength" as so often our kids were too cement-footed to get into the right positions to even attempt to apply it.

1 hour ago, Cdn Blackshirt Two said:

Definitely agility.  Last year what I thought I saw was opposing DL's beat our OT's both to the outside and to the inside with vastly superior speed....so for me it was hard to assess "strength" as so often our kids were too cement-footed to get into the right positions to even attempt to apply it.

I think these are really good observations for sure.

• 2 weeks later...