Hoiberg Returning for 2022-2023

Mavric

11 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I mean it's kind of similar in that they both lose. At least in football it appears as though there's effort on the part of both players and coaches, even if it's not working. 

In basketball Fred's team barely appears to try. They're one of the worst teams in the country. This is probably the erst team in program history, which is saying a lot. 

Fred deserved to be fired and it's extremely obvious he has absolutely no chance to get things to work. This is a money saving move, plain and simple. 

If I remember correctly there were plenty of questions about effort in season three for Frost too.

2 hours ago, ECisGod said:

If I remember correctly there were plenty of questions about effort in season three for Frost too.

If you would also remember correctly the world was in the middle of the worst pandemic in our history - no fans, weird rules, coaches couldn't practice, etc.  Rebuilding a football team is not anywhere remotely close to rebuilding a basketball team.  Both results suck but comparing year 3 for both coaches is ridiculous.  Good basketball programs essentially turn over their entire rosters every 2-3 years.  Fred should have his team this year.  He should be at least competitive in the majority of his games.  I don't mind the restructure but like has been mentioned above, it is completely about saving the university money.  Maybe Fred makes a couple of great assistant hires that turns it around but it sure as hell isn't going to turn around because of his coaching.   

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Stupid financial decisions got us into this mess, Trev is doing his best to dig us out. Props to Hoiberg and Frost for taking unnecessary pay cuts and showing commitment to getting it done at Nebraska. 

Liked your message but I'm not sure I would call the decisions stupid in the current landscape.  We had to pay to get what appeared on paper to be the best options.  The extensions on the other hand were questionable.  Moos knew he was leaving?  I do like what Trev is doing- smart and also gives him another year or two of complete job security.  I'm also happy that Fred and Scott were willing to sacrifice.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

If you would also remember correctly the world was in the middle of the worst pandemic in our history - no fans, weird rules, coaches couldn't practice, etc.  Rebuilding a football team is not anywhere remotely close to rebuilding a basketball team.  Both results suck but comparing year 3 for both coaches is ridiculous.  Good basketball programs essentially turn over their entire rosters every 2-3 years.  Fred should have his team this year.  He should be at least competitive in the majority of his games.  I don't mind the restructure but like has been mentioned above, it is completely about saving the university money.  Maybe Fred makes a couple of great assistant hires that turns it around but it sure as hell isn't going to turn around because of his coaching.   

So it's OK to give no effort if there are no fans in the stadium/arena?

Yes, it's Fred's third year, but his first year he only had one player stay from Miles' team and got the other 12 players in about 30 days.  You can't possibly believe that there was significant player evaluation.  He needed bodies & many of the players he got were not B1G level players - including the players Miles had coming in that Hoiberg convinced to stay committed.

Year two was his pandemic, no fans year.  By your logic, he gets a pass for that year.

Teams in the B1G rarely turn over their entire roster every other year.  Most of the time the teams that win in the conference have a ton of experience.  Teams like Kentucky, Duke & Kansas turn over their rosters that fast, but do you really think Nebraska (or most of the B1G) is at the same level as those programs?

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Liked your message but I'm not sure I would call the decisions stupid in the current landscape.  We had to pay to get what appeared on paper to be the best options.  The extensions on the other hand were questionable.  Moos knew he was leaving?  I do like what Trev is doing- smart and also gives him another year or two of complete job security.  I'm also happy that Fred and Scott were willing to sacrifice.

Yeah meant more so the extensions. Both guys were getting compensated well, both obviously wanted to be here, both were struggling on the field/court when the extensions were handed out - seemed like we put ourselves in a poor spot for no reason. At least we're in a better spot now and in a place where performance is the only thing that matters moving forward. 

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, ECisGod said:

So it's OK to give no effort if there are no fans in the stadium/arena?

Yes, it's Fred's third year, but his first year he only had one player stay from Miles' team and got the other 12 players in about 30 days.  You can't possibly believe that there was significant player evaluation.  He needed bodies & many of the players he got were not B1G level players - including the players Miles had coming in that Hoiberg convinced to stay committed.

Year two was his pandemic, no fans year.  By your logic, he gets a pass for that year.

Teams in the B1G rarely turn over their entire roster every other year.  Most of the time the teams that win in the conference have a ton of experience.  Teams like Kentucky, Duke & Kansas turn over their rosters that fast, but do you really think Nebraska (or most of the B1G) is at the same level as those programs?

Basketball and football were not equally impacted by Covid.

Fred and Scott have both performed poorly.  Fred has performed worse.  If you can't see that, you aren't looking at it objectively. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Basketball and football were not equally impacted by Covid.

Fred and Scott have both performed poorly.  Fred has performed worse.  If you can't see that, you aren't looking at it objectively. 

You are right, they were not impacted equally.  The basketball team had to play 14 games in 29 days last year because of a covid outbreak.  Football was more affected by the B1G's inability to make a decision on having a season or not.

Fred has been worse, but the B1G has also been the best basketball league in D1 two of his three years.  I've not seen anyone say that is the case in football.

If it weren't for huge buyouts both would have been fired, but Moos thought throwing money at coaches solved the lack of winning issue.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, ECisGod said:

You are right, they were not impacted equally.  The basketball team had to play 14 games in 29 days last year because of a covid outbreak.  Football was more affected by the B1G's inability to make a decision on having a season or not.

Fred has been worse, but the B1G has also been the best basketball league in D1 two of his three years.  I've not seen anyone say that is the case in football.

If it weren't for huge buyouts both would have been fired, but Moos thought throwing money at coaches solved the lack of winning issue.

I know it is prominently pushed in the media, but the Big Ten has not been the best basketball league in D1. Argument could be make for top 3 in the sport but the Big East and Big 12 have performed far better in the past few years

46 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Top to bottom, Big 10 is the best.  

No, maybe in the media but not in reality. Last National Champion out of the Big Ten was over 20 years ago.

The best conference produces more teams in the Sweet 16. Hell look at last year... Big Ten had exactly one team in the Sweet 16, the Pac-12 had four somehow. Big Ten teams look good when they get to beat up on Nebraska, Northwestern, Maryland, Penn State and Rutgers every year. But then when the season's on the line, the Big Ten (as a whole) tends to bow out early in the tournament. I hope they've figured it out but by no objective measure is the Big Ten the best conference until it's proven when it matters. 

What’s easier to flip- basketball or football? 

basketball obviously. And what is success for Nebraska basketball? No one can answer this because we’ve never had a taste. 

But Frost will endure because he’s  the golden boy and has assembled a fine stable of assistants so he doesn’t actually have to coach or recruit. 

• Plus1 1

I thought the basketball team played hard tonight against a solid Iowa team.  At least the game was entertaining.  If we saw that effort every week, we would have a few more wins and the narrative would be a little different.  Andre has potential.  Hope he stays.

• Fire 2