Hoiberg Returning for 2022-2023

Mavric

53 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I completely agree that it would make no sense to fire Fred after 3 seasons when Frost has had 4 failing seasons and was given a 5th. Both guys have been horrible with Frost having the worst win percentage since the 1950s.  The ultimatum from Alberts forced Frost to make some much needed changes and I am actually now excited for his 5th season. Perhaps this approach will work for Hoiberg too.

Why does one sport have to influence the other. There is no fairness doctrine with these over paid coaches. 

12 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Why does one sport have to influence the other. There is no fairness doctrine with these over paid coaches. 

When the person making the decision is the same (Alberts) I do think its important to have fair process and consistency. It sets the tone for the entire athletic department. 

Additionally, Nebraska is a historic football program, not basketball program, so expectations should really be higher for Frost. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

29 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Me thinks Trev is prolonging the inevitable and 2023 will see new coaches in two sports. 

but…. If I had to chose, I think Frost has the better chance to see the fall 2023 season as a Husker. 

Why would you think the second? Frost got a 5th year for just as bad of a performance.  3-9 overall and 1-8 in conference in year 4 got him more time. Hoiberg still has an 11 million dollar buyout next year. I see Frost getting canned before Hoiberg unless he actually shows something on the field for the first time.

1 hour ago, admo said:

If I'm Hoiberg, I'd make this team a "run-n-gun" fun team.  Full throttle.  The most fast paced team in the B1G.  Channel the Loyola-Marymount and Florida-Gulf Coast days.

Fans love points and knocking down shots.  Huskers team would be 3's or layups, plus fast breaks.  Push the ball better than anyone has seen in this league.  

All it takes is basketball stamina, a bench/substitutions, lots of shooters, mentality of hitting 3's, tipping rebounds out, some picks, a few passes, and pushing it coast to coast.

Yeah, it might not sustain after 3 or 4 years.  But what a helluva fun ride.  And maybe you start getting better shooting recruits.

Huskers beat Illinois 109-87... Huskers beat Iowa 132-87... Huskers beat Michigan 114-91

Call me crazy, but that's what I would do.  And somebody even pointed out recently, the Huskers have a pretty good record when they are the first to score 70 (in a game).

Make it fun!.  Make it fast paced!  Make PBR an exciting place to see a  basketball game on speed, and the fans would get behind it and sell it out (plus concessions).

Do you watch many of the games now? This run-n-gun style is what they're already trying and failing to do. They play with pace and race up the court, but without the skills to make these shots, the style is a failure. Doing more of the same is a recipe for continued failure. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Failing to sell tickets will cut right into those savings.  I did reup for football tickets, mostly because I waited years to be in a position where I could afford to have them and also have the opportunity to get them. I covet those tickets more than I actually really want them. I won't reup for basketball, however. Partially because as our kids are getting older, we have less time to go to them, but mostly because I don't enjoy going out to watch whatever it was we put on the court this year. I really like Hoiberg and can't understand why his teams are so bad, but they are and I don't see any quick fixes on the horizon. He has an empty basket and he's miles away from the stable it will take to even reach mid tier B10 levels. We won't be any better next year.

53 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Why would you think the second? Frost got a 5th year for just as bad of a performance.  3-9 overall and 1-8 in conference in year 4 got him more time. Hoiberg still has an 11 million dollar buyout next year. I see Frost getting canned before Hoiberg unless he actually shows something on the field for the first time.

Because I watched the games. We’re ><this close in football. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Do you watch many of the games now? This run-n-gun style is what they're already trying and failing to do. They play with pace and race up the court, but without the skills to make these shots, the style is a failure. Doing more of the same is a recipe for continued failure. 

I have to disagree, sorry.  What you see and what they are doing lately is rec league.  End of season bs stuff. 

42 minutes ago, admo said:

I have to disagree, sorry.  What you see and what they are doing lately is rec league.  End of season bs stuff. 

I’ve attended a few games and watched nearly every one. The style you’re suggesting they go to (run-n-gun) is exactly how they are trying to play. Most obvious recent example is the Iowa game from a couple weeks ago. They also play the up tempo game and took us to the cleaners.

We just don’t have the talent to play that way for a full game. 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Apathy said:

Effort or not they didn’t win games…that’s what matters

That might be what matters 'at the end of the day', but that's not even close to all that matters when you're an athletic director trying to make a wise decision on how to move forward. There are multiple other factors at play, and Alberts has handled both situations well and put the university in the best possible scenarios considering the circumstances.

• Plus1 1

Trev basically has created a situation where he has yet to start "being on the clock"

If everything sucks next year, he gets to fire coaches and bring in new guys, that is when his term as AD really starts.  Dude is saving the school money (who cares, I don't) and making more money for himself.  AD's don't get fired until they hire a guy that sucks.