Spring Practice Pressers

Mavric

On 2/28/2022 at 1:15 PM, Mavric said:

Sorry, but people just need to get over this.  It's not going to change.

It's simply not very practical to try to get a mic to any one of the dozens of people who might be asking questions.  It's just not worth the effort and time it would take.

Yeah, its not like any of the other hundreds of sports teams in the world have this problem figured out.  Way too hard!   

Come on man. 

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

No need to manufacture a QB battle in the free agency era.  He was brought in to start, barring injury he'll start.

And you know which one I'm talking about.

It makes sense Whip would start day 1 with his oldest, most experienced candidate at the top.  Why not.  He recruited him.  He’s studied film. But I still feel Whipple and Frost will give a careful, long look-see at all the QBs.  They need 3 to be ready to run at least packages of the offense for reasons of juries, etc.  Odds are more than one will start games this fall and three will be needed therefore. One may be ‘thee guy’ in game 1, but at some point a couple more will be needed to win a couple games along the way.  He wants the best out there in crunch times,  and recent history says one score contests will be the norm.  

Intangibles are hard to tell until the plays are live and in person!   

12 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Partially true.  We saw overweight, rookie, immature Yant.  The word is he is slimmed up but is bigger, faster, stronger, and more focused.  It's hype season but my guy doesn't tend to exaggerate.  He has been impressed.  That said, big difference between off season workouts and running the ball in the big 10.  I'm just excited because whether he factors or not, he will be stronger competition for the room which helps everyone.

The problem is he wasn't *that* much overweight last spring.  It got worse over the summer.  Then he got back in the mix only fall off again.

I hope this is the time he gets it figured out and it sticks.  But the track record isn't good.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

The problem is he wasn't *that* much overweight last spring.  It got worse over the summer.  Then he got back in the mix only fall off again.

I hope this is the time he gets it figured out and it sticks.  But the track record isn't good.

I mean he’s really young I wouldn’t hold “track record” against him yet. Just looking at his body his first spring compared to who he was in the NW game that’s a drastic turn in itself. Plus it seemed like Rahmir  and Ervin were the only people who knew where they stood with Held so who knows what was going on. 

10 hours ago, The Dude said:

No need to manufacture a QB battle in the free agency era.  He was brought in to start, barring injury he'll start.

And you know which one I'm talking about.

so Casey walks in the door and is given the keys to the car?

surprised  we haven't lost a couple QB's already, like smothers  and others?

another know it all coach who didn't even look at his whole room.

kinda like Frost. disappointed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
3 hours ago, hunter49 said:

You hit your head on something?

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, hunter49 said:

Frost probably should have tried Smothers earlier in the season.  Based on the Iowa game, he and Martinez seemed to be more or less interchangeable as players.

Based on what Thompson has put on film, he's head and shoulders better than any other QB on the roster.  So yes, the keys were likely dangled in front of his face for him to even consider coming here.

On 3/1/2022 at 4:21 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

There was a Twitter response from a NU fan yesterday saying a similar thing.  I think he Tweeted something like "Whatever happened to an open competition? We just name a QB1 the first day of practice?"  

The last open QB competition resulted in the #2 QB transferring the week of the season opener.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Gage County said:

The last open QB competition resulted in the #2 QB transferring the week of the season opener.

Was it really an ‘open’ competition?  The other prospect left after the spring - presumably he could see the writing in the wall as well.  Neither were the QB we needed but were better than the walkon we started vs Michigan a month later though.  I just think it needs to be a fair, honest competition. It doesn’t encourage the rest of the room to preordain  the starter.  Whip knows this very well.  I’d be shocked if the evaluations are anything but legit.  The coaches want to win too!   

No way you slice it somebody has to get the first 1st team snaps.  Whipple said he looked the best from the stuff he saw before spring.  it's not surprising.  If you didn't expect the the oldest guy in the room with the most starts to get the very first snaps with the 1's you are delusional.  But like he said it could change orrrr  they could just let someone else get 1st team reps to see how they look with the 1's.  doesn't mean that person is going to be the starter either.  

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
25 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Was it really an ‘open’ competition?  The other prospect left after the spring - presumably he could see the writing in the wall as well.  Neither were the QB we needed but were better than the walkon we started vs Michigan a month later though.  I just think it needs to be a fair, honest competition. It doesn’t encourage the rest of the room to preordain  the starter.  Whip knows this very well.  I’d be shocked if the evaluations are anything but legit.  The coaches want to win too!   

Technically you could say late august is after spring but……gebbia left in the middle off fall practice after Frost announced Martinez as the starter. He didn’t have to read the writing on the wall as it was easily explained to him directly 

Just now, Cigarman said:

Technically you could say late august is after spring but……gebbia left in the middle off fall practice after Frost announced Martinez as the starter. He didn’t have to read the writing on the wall as it was easily explained to him directly 

P O’Brien left in spring as I recall.  

• Plus1 1