Spring Practice Pressers

Mavric

7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

And remember when Frost (and MR) recruited those short fast slot players.  An evolution is going on here.  Why we needed new thinking in the coaching staff.  So, if we have tall on the inside and tall on the outside - plus tall TE and an accurate passer, we could see some nice improvement in our passing game with those matchups. 

I don't think it will be all tall - sounds like Alante Brown (5'10) is on track to play a lot, presumable outside. And the guys other than Manning listed as slot guys were Garcia-Castenada (6'), Brody Belt (5'9), and Trey Palmer (6'1). But it is really interesting to hear the evolution, and hopefully we can get the benefits of a big slot that Whip wants, and still play to the strengths of the speedy guys Frost and Joseph are used to when they are in. 

One of the more interesting tidbits to me, and I forget which assistant it was from, was talking about doing new things the way Whip wanted. And the example was finishing the play to the end zone even after being touched - how were we not already doing that? 

• Plus1 1

20 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

This was a great presser.  Around the 350 mark they ask him who's QB1 and without hesitation or keeping things secret, he flat out answers it.  But he also likes the entire QB room and understands you need depth and healthy quarterbacks.  Also liked what he said about receiver routes, reading corners, and why it's important to run your route, and having the best players play (and highlighted). 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
13 minutes ago, admo said:

This was a great presser.  Around the 350 mark they ask him who's QB1 and without hesitation or keeping things secret, he flat out answers it.  But he also likes the entire QB room and understands you need depth and healthy quarterbacks.  Also liked what he said about receiver routes, reading corners, and why it's important to run your route, and having the best players play (and highlighted). 

Yea.  But he also said immediately “for today”.  Who knows tomorrow.  The best vibe I get is he won’t be wed to any player.  He will play the best and won’t hesitate to try somebody else.  

He also seems willing to run the dam ball sometimes.  Frost doesn’t offer any comments to admit they plan to change anything but he is watching a new offense be put together apparently.  Frost was overseeing the back ups he said. 

it’s day ONE.  Hardly tell anything at this point.  Hopefully spring game we see the new and improved Huskers!   Patience is hard when you’re starved for good news.  There will be hiccups etc but there just got to be some meaningful changes or the results will be disappointing.  

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Sooooo...it is not a true competition?  

Because we all hated that but now we love it?  

I kid, I kid.

There was a Twitter response from a NU fan yesterday saying a similar thing.  I think he Tweeted something like "Whatever happened to an open competition? We just name a QB1 the first day of practice?"  

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

It was so refreshing to get a straight answer to a question like that instead of the usual coach speak that you normally hear.

I haven't listened to the whole presser, but he starts by saying good snaps.  I'm sure I've missed it through everything, but who is starting C with Cam gone?

35 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Sooooo...it is not a true competition? 

He's have probably been better just keeping his mouth shut or lying about a close competition up until the day of the first game. I've already seen a bunch of b!^@hing about Thompson being No. 1 (for now) but do people really think they brought in the starting QB from TX last year to sit on the bench?

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

He's have probably been better just keeping his mouth shut or lying about a close competition up until the day of the first game. I've already seen a bunch of b!^@hing about Thompson being No. 1 (for now) but do people really think they brought in the starting QB from TX last year to sit on the bench?

A good portion of our fan base is looking for something to b!^@h about.  Can't blame them but from a coaching standpoint, who cares.  No matter what you do people are going to complain until they see a better product on the field.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pedro G said:

I am very intrigued with Yant. He appears to be in top shape now and appears to have unlimited potential. Before I start drinking Kool Aid, until I see him play, he could be an average back, a good back, a very good back, or a great back in the mold of Wisconsin’s Allen. It’s hard to know, but his potential upside is exciting.  

We've seen him play. It's not a matter of talent, it's whether or not he can keep his s#!t together.

3 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I honestly think people are going to b!^@h no matter what they say or don’t say.  I’m just glad he’s being honest.   

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I mean ... he literally said it "could change tomorrow" which is the very definition of an open competition.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Toe said:

We've seen him play. It's not a matter of talent, it's whether or not he can keep his s#!t together.

Partially true.  We saw overweight, rookie, immature Yant.  The word is he is slimmed up but is bigger, faster, stronger, and more focused.  It's hype season but my guy doesn't tend to exaggerate.  He has been impressed.  That said, big difference between off season workouts and running the ball in the big 10.  I'm just excited because whether he factors or not, he will be stronger competition for the room which helps everyone.