Nebrasketball Game #32: Northwestern- Big Ten Tournament Round 1- Wednesday, March 9th 5:00pm BTN

What will the game result be?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What will the game result be?

• Nebraska single digit win
    • Nebraska double digit win
    • Northwestern single digit win
    • Northwestern double digit win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/2022 at 11:06 PM

2 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I agree that the referees did not lose the game for us. That said, their inconsistencies throughout the season were very disappointing. Given how fragile our team's psyche was for 90% of the year, we were not able to overcome the poor jobs. The number of times our guys got popped in the face the past few games without a review or call was rather disappointing. Zero doubt they are called if the jerseys were flipped. Reminds me of the football team's two year drought of not getting a holding call on opponent's offensive lines... reputation precedes us. Hopefully the Big Ten reviews what they're doing and how they are setting rules in the offseason. 

I guess that is my biggest complaint. Whatever they decide the rules are....just make it the same on both ends of the floor. 

• Thanks 1

I knew right from the jump of the 2nd half that they was going to lose. I don't understand this team, last night they somehow played worse with Bryce on the court?   They should have taken a 25 point lead into the half, I know I and some of you are frustrated but man this has to be hell for Fred. I still trust Fred to improve the current situation but this "team" at times plays more like a bunch of Y guys in a pick up game than a cohesive unit. Last night was very sloppy in too many ways to list. Aside from Verge and Walker nobody else could get out of 1st gear. Wilcher with 0 points is a back breaker really could have used his 3 point shooting ability. Worst part is I don't know how Fred recruits to this program when you see performances like this. Now the 3 game run they had was great, but you have to be able to capitalize on games like NW to keep the momentum going. Frustrating loss. 

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Missed the game. Just watched the highlights and it appeared our Def in the 2nd half was not good.  Getting beat underneath and slow close outs on 3s.  Did we not get the calls, get frustrated & go into a coma like earlier in the year?

Offense was solid in the first half when NW was in man to man. They came out in the 2nd half in a 3-2 zone and those shots in the lane dried up and we were sporadic on outside shooting. There was a play in the 1st half where Bryce drove the lane and a NW player went to block it from the side and raked his hand over Bryce's forehead which knocked him off balance. Nothing was called. Walker had a play where he went inside and he thought he was fouled and when nothing was called I suspect he said something to the ref which earned him a T. Huskers played a terrible 2nd half but there were two calls in the last 45 seconds that to me were questionable. Walker tried to slide over on a NW player who was driving. His heel was inside the circle and a foul was called as slow mo showed Walker wasn't set either. Fine....two free throws. Then Verge drove the lane and it looked to me that the first defender was close to being set but it could have been a 50/50 call but I thought the second defender got Verge's arm before contact. Charging call on Verge. With 7 seconds left Tre was passed the ball and dribbles to the lane, tries to get off a shot that was tipped. No call which was probably ok. We didn't do enough to win the game in the other 19 minutes of the second half.

• Plus1 2

Lost by two...with an Andre tipped in missed free throw (for the other team), with a verge 10 second violation that is as silly as you'll ever see, and a 2 on 1 fast break with tre and verge where an easy bunny was missed...that's not including any fouls or no calls...as they happen every game, and typically both ways.

We just found ways to lose.  Kind of indicative of how a majority of the season went.  

24 minutes ago, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

So who can come back? Anyone want to project starters for next year 

Some rumors that Walker will come back. Seems to be up in the air on Trey McGowens.

Blaise Keita and Walker together could give us a legit rebounding threat.

I really hope Lat doesnt come back. The guy has stone hands. I want to see them give Keisei a shot but who knows with him. 

I assume CJ Wilcher, Wilhelm come back. No idea what we have in Keon Edwards or Quaran McPherson. 

Overall, I am not too excited for next year. 

22 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Walker was in the restricted area and probably a half second late even if he wasnt

Both Verge and McGowens went completely tunnel vision out of control into the lane on the last two plays of the game. Verge’s was 100% a charge and Trey didn’t even put up a legitimate shot.

Bitterly disappointing but the referees didn’t lose this game for Nebraska. The two biggest sequences in the second half outside of Nebraska not making a field goal for 7(!!) minutes were:

1. Northwestern hitting a 3 out of a timeout on a possession which they got off an offensive rebound

2. Northwestern making the go ahead FT at 69-69 on the possession after getting an offensive rebound 

Nebraska continues to get worked on the glass and it directly relates to plays that cost us games. We HAVE to add more size going forward if this is going to work. 

Verge got fouled by the primary defender first before the secondary defender slid in and was set.

Walker took an elbow to the head on block And-1 call that was a charge and should have been reviewed for flagrant 1.

• Plus1 2