2022-2023 Roster Composition

Now that the season is officially over, I’ll take a stab at roster composition for 2022-23:

Incoming Recruits (3):

Ramel Lloyd Jr

Jamarques Lawrence

Blaise Keita

Exhausted All Eligibility (2):

Alonzo Verge

Kobe Webster

Eligibility Remaining (13):

Derrick Walker

Bryce McGowens

Trey McGowens

Trevor Lakes

CJ Wilcher

Eduardo Andre

Denim Dawson

Quaran McPherson

Oleg Kojenets

Keon Edwards

Lat Mayen

Keisei Tominaga

Wilhelm Breidenbach

2022-23 Roster Guess:

Guards/Wings (7):

Jamarques Lawrence

Ramel Lloyd Jr

Denim Dawson

CJ Wilcher

Quaran McPherson

Keon Edwards

Keisei Tominaga

Bigs (4):

Eduardo Andre

Oleg Kojenets

Wilhelm Breidenbach

Blaise Keita 

As it stands right now- I’d venture both McGowens’, Lakes, Walker, Mayen will all be gone next season. Tominaga, Kojenets, McPherson all portal candidates as well.

2022-23 Starting 5:

Lloyd Jr

CJ Wilcher

Keon Edwards

Breidenbach

Andre

Additional rotation guys: Keita, Dawson, Tominaga, Lawrence

We still have 2 scholarships remaining as of this moment- I’d venture we need at least one more big and likely a more senior level guard if possible.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm very interested in seeing the further development of Andre.  He put some weight on this past year and it helped.  He was better this year than last.  He needs to keep developing and adding strength though.  Walker was one of our best players this year, so he didn't see the court as much as he could have.

His development (along with the guard play) determines the ceiling for Nebraska next year. We will be really inexperienced on the wings. If he can become a high end Big Ten caliber big it will help a LOT.

Also going to rely on Keita a ton to come in and play right away.

I just hope Breidenbach is able to recover fully and get a full offseason of weight training in as well.

I will be shocked if Kojenets ever plays a single minute at NU. 

Some steam that Walker might come back. I also am not sure, but I could see Trey come back as well. Bryce is gone. I hope Lat is gone.

Derrick Walker- Would welcome back/ Think its 50/50

Bryce McGowens- He gone

Trey McGowens- Probably gone but would love him back

Trevor Lakes- Gone

CJ Wilcher- back and probably one of our better players

Eduardo Andre- Back but I think he still struggles for playing time

Denim Dawson- back

Quaran McPherson- I think he leaves

Oleg Kojenets- I think he is asked to leave

Keon Edwards- back

Lat Mayen- gone/ asked to move on

Keisei Tominaga- toss up. I hope he comes back but he wasnt what we hoped.

Wilhelm Breidenbach- back/ want to watch him grow.

1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Keisei Tominaga- toss up. I hope he comes back but he wasnt what we hoped.

This is a guy that could really help the team if he could figure out his shooting.  He was supposed to be able shoot lights out.  But, got here and couldn't hit anything.  

It will be interesting to see if an off season here can get him back to what he was supposed to be.

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a guy that could really help the team if he could figure out his shooting.  He was supposed to be able shoot lights out.  But, got here and couldn't hit anything.  

It will be interesting to see if an off season here can get him back to what he was supposed to be.

Maybe he just needs to wear his backpack during games.

• Haha 1

Derrick Walker - Would like to see him come back.  I think he's been a leader on the floor and provides strength (if not height) in the post.

Bryce McGowens - Would love to see him enter the draft w/o signing with an agent, get feedback & come back.  Doubt it happens.

Trey McGowens - Would like to see him come back.  We need his perimeter defense.  I don't see anyone else on the team providing that unless one of the newcomers or guys who didn't play much can provide it.

Trevor Lakes - Only way he has eligibility is if he applies for a medical redshirt to play a sixth year of college ball & I doubt it would be at Nebraska

CJ Wilcher - Not a lot of options since he's already used his one "free" transfer.  Like his shooting ability, needs to get a little quicker on defense.

Eduardo Andre - Would like to see him come back.  Clearly improved over last year, needs to get stronger.

Denim Dawson - You'd think he would come back since he joined the team mid season when they already looked like the season was in trouble.

Quaran McPherson - Not sure what to expect. 

Oleg Kojenets - Was recruited as a project and still looks like he needs to get stronger (based on what I've seen in warmups).

Keon Edwards - Not a lot of options for him either since he's used his one time "free" transfer.  Initially started when Trey was injured, so the coaches see something from him on the defensive end.  It just seems like

Lat Mayen - Needs to move on (good for both sides).  Has looked better the last couple of weeks.  Would like to see him succeed at a lower D1 school.  Seems like a good guy.

Keisei Tominaga - Would like to see him come back and find his shooting stroke.  Probably needs to work toward being a point guard based on his build.

Wilhelm Breidenbach - Would like to see him come back.  I think he would have improved a lot over the last 3 months if he hadn't gotten injured.  Definitely an interesting prospect.

Ideally the rotation for next year is:

Starters - Trey, Wilcher, Bryce, Breidenbach, Walker

Rotation - Tominaga, Edwards, Andre, Keita, McPherson, Dawson

Depth - Lawrence, Lloyd, Kojenets

That would be 14 scholarship players, so at least one would have to go.

2 hours ago, ECisGod said:

Derrick Walker - Would like to see him come back.  I think he's been a leader on the floor and provides strength (if not height) in the post.

Bryce McGowens - Would love to see him enter the draft w/o signing with an agent, get feedback & come back.  Doubt it happens.

Trey McGowens - Would like to see him come back.  We need his perimeter defense.  I don't see anyone else on the team providing that unless one of the newcomers or guys who didn't play much can provide it.

Trevor Lakes - Only way he has eligibility is if he applies for a medical redshirt to play a sixth year of college ball & I doubt it would be at Nebraska

CJ Wilcher - Not a lot of options since he's already used his one "free" transfer.  Like his shooting ability, needs to get a little quicker on defense.

Eduardo Andre - Would like to see him come back.  Clearly improved over last year, needs to get stronger.

Denim Dawson - You'd think he would come back since he joined the team mid season when they already looked like the season was in trouble.

Quaran McPherson - Not sure what to expect. 

Oleg Kojenets - Was recruited as a project and still looks like he needs to get stronger (based on what I've seen in warmups).

Keon Edwards - Not a lot of options for him either since he's used his one time "free" transfer.  Initially started when Trey was injured, so the coaches see something from him on the defensive end.  It just seems like

Lat Mayen - Needs to move on (good for both sides).  Has looked better the last couple of weeks.  Would like to see him succeed at a lower D1 school.  Seems like a good guy.

Keisei Tominaga - Would like to see him come back and find his shooting stroke.  Probably needs to work toward being a point guard based on his build.

Wilhelm Breidenbach - Would like to see him come back.  I think he would have improved a lot over the last 3 months if he hadn't gotten injured.  Definitely an interesting prospect.

Ideally the rotation for next year is:

Starters - Trey, Wilcher, Bryce, Breidenbach, Walker

Rotation - Tominaga, Edwards, Andre, Keita, McPherson, Dawson

Depth - Lawrence, Lloyd, Kojenets

That would be 14 scholarship players, so at least one would have to go.

trey & walker don't count toward the 13.  They get a extra covid year.

• 2 weeks later...