Obviously, the team would be better if he would come back.  

However, the entire organization needed to be shaken up and rethink how they are doing things and with whom.  This is just one more piece that gives Fred the chance to fill with someone else that HOPEFULLY will bring wins.

There are teams with a lot less star power playing much better basketball than we saw with this team this year with supposedly guys with top talent.

I'm glad he was a Husker for one year.  Just sad it turned out the way it did.

It didn’t happen enough but the times where things were going well and working, you could really see the vision Fred has. There was so much spacing offensively for Bryce and Verge to drive endlessly and either get baskets or FTs or both. Or get kick out 3s to open shooters. It really put a lot of pressure on the opposing defense. Need more buy in defensively next year.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Farms said:

Will be our highest drafted player since?? And we only managed to win 10 games.  Sad

Only other first-rounders were Rich King (1991 - #14 - Seattle), Eric Piatkowski (1994 - #15 - Indiana) and Tyronn Lue (1998 - #23 - Denver).  We haven't been below #45 since Lue and only three total drafted since then (Banton, Roby and Venson Hamilton).

On an unrelated note, I was surprised Strickland wasn't drafted.  He had a very nice career for an undrafted guy.

• 4 weeks later...

ESPN has him going 29th to Memphis.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/33795097/2022-nba-mock-draft-teams-pick-based-latest-nba-lottery-projections

McGowens is one of the most talented wing prospects in this class long-term, a fluid scorer who needs time to build up his frame and improve his defensive intensity, but he has intriguing tools that are hard to come by from a talent perspective

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, ECisGod said:

No mention of him making any kind of impression at the combine on ESPN or CBS Sports.

I will be very curious to see how this draft goes for him. I could see him being taken anywhere from like 25th to late second. It’s really a crap shoot- he’s obviously very talented but needs to add weight and round out his game pretty substantially 

4 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

I will be very curious to see how this draft goes for him. I could see him being taken anywhere from like 25th to late second. It’s really a crap shoot- he’s obviously very talented but needs to add weight and round out his game pretty substantially 

Agreed - that's why I thought he would be better off staying in college for another year.

I kind of looked at it as stay in college get NIL in the mid-6 figure range and play 30+ minutes every game and likely get drafted higher next year then get mid-7 figures/year on a guaranteed contract or go to the NBA get low 7-figures maybe guaranteed and almost never play.  Yes, he's financially better off in one year, but in three years he's way behind.

Look at what Keegan Murray, Jaden Ivey & Johnny Davis did by staying an extra year.

• Plus1 2
  • seaofred92 changed the title to Bryce McGowens