Betts

No details have come out on Betts yet, other than him not being on the team right now.  My complete guess is that Mickey Joseph came into the WR room and challenged all of the guys to compete for the playing time and pecking order.  Betts may have not responded well to that challenge or his perceived place on the depth chart.

Again, I don't have any proof of this, but it's my guess based on comments from Joseph this spring about how he was handling the WR room.

• Plus1 1

It’s too bad. The guy has unlimited potential. But if — and we don’t know why — it’s a lack of improvement, Joseph may have told him you can’t play for me. But it also could be personal problems that he is dealing with. I hope the kid figures it out and doesn’t just enter the portal. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I know a lot of what’s happened to the program under Frost is his own doing, but man,  he can’t catch a break.

I think it takes a different type of coach to handle college rosters and knowing how to "work with" the talent.  I know the players need to uphold their end of the bargain, as well.

Also, this type of stuff could have been happening all along historically, I just think there is so much more media attention around every little detail now.  From the focus and attention to recruiting, to the 24-7 news cycle focused on these teams and every move on the rosters.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think it takes a different type of coach to handle college rosters and knowing how to "work with" the talent.  I know the players need to uphold their end of the bargain, as well.

Also, this type of stuff could have been happening all along historically, I just think there is so much more media attention around every little detail now.  From the focus and attention to recruiting, to the 24-7 news cycle focused on these teams and every move on the rosters.

For sure. Frost doesn’t deserve the benefit of doubt, but you’d think his luck would change at some point.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
11 minutes ago, Mastershake said:

At the very least, he did say “right now”.  Still sucks.

Yes I'm in that camp as well.  Maybe this isn't 'it' for Betts.

"He's not a member of the team right now," Husker coach Scott Frost said following Thursday's practice.

Sources told the Journal Star that Betts, a sophomore receiver from Bellevue West, hasn't been at practice this week. 

6 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It’s also very possible that Betts just isn’t cut out for life under the coaching of Mickey Joseph. Joesph doesn’t appear to have much patience for bulls#!t.

Spring Break at UNL was last week, so Betts might have gone home for a few days, and thought "man, I don't think I'm cut out for this under the new coach" and didn't report back to the team this week.

Hopefully, Betts can get some good advice from Coach Huffman at Bellevue West or other mentors, and he can return back to the team this summer.  The good thing is that Joseph brought in some good talent in the WR room.  This position group isn't thin, just needs development.

• Fire 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Spring Break at UNL was last week, so Betts might have gone home for a few days, and thought "man, I don't think I'm cut out for this under the new coach" and didn't report back to the team this week.

Hopefully, Betts can get some good advice from Coach Huffman at Bellevue West or other mentors, and he can return back to the team this summer.  The good thing is that Joseph brought in some good talent in the WR room.  This position group isn't thin, just needs development.

Agreed. Not all that worried about it with the room under Joeseph’s watch, but thought that Betts had 1st team All-B1G (or better) potential under him. It’s too bad.

• Plus1 2