Betts

4 hours ago, Toe said:

Guess Sean Callahan is saying Betts didn't even show up for the meeting and just told the coaches he's done...

Thanks, I'm sure Sean has a pretty decent feel on the situation.

I also think if the player wasn't a local kid, this wouldn't be as much of a story.  Either way I don't really care.  It's like, ok, ok...

I like Mickey and the guys he has right now (and the new guys coming in the fall). I'm not even worried.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

If all of the speculation is true I really hope people don't demonize the kid. Football is extremely valuable for a lot of things, but it's not and shouldn't be an all encompassing weight and identity in life (at least outside of a season), and if Betts has already figured out what's most important to him then that should be nothing other than celebrated.

I don't know the kid or the situation and all its details, but it takes a lot of wisdom to know that something demanding more than you need or want to give isn't worth it for you.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
4 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

There seems to be more to the story.   I wonder if Mickey didn't baby him like the other coaches.  Get used to it!  The majority of kids now days are entitled.

Or maybe it is a mental health issue.  Or he is worried about his physical health in the long run. 

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, admo said:

Thanks, I'm sure Sean has a pretty decent feel on the situation.

I also think if the player wasn't a local kid, this wouldn't be as much of a story.  Either way I don't really care.  It's like, ok, ok...

I like Mickey and the guys he has right now (and the new guys coming in the fall). I'm not even worried.

Pretty sure the attention on this has little to nothing to do with the fact he’s a local kid. More so about the clear potential and ability walking out the door 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
41 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Pretty sure the attention on this has little to nothing to do with the fact he’s a local kid. More so about the clear potential and ability walking out the door 

He's made some good plays and definitely has potential and ability.  No longer on the team is likely his choice.  If he prospers here or somewhere else, I would be happy to see that. Either way I don't really care.  That doesn't mean I am dogging on him.  If I felt like doing so I would. At some point in time we will eventually find out the reasons why he's not on the team.  Could be anything. 

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Meh.  20 catches and 200-whatever yards is replaceable.   This isn't like a Spielman or Robinson loss.

We always hear about "potential" for the guys who hardly contribute on game days.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Always hard to see any player fail - no

matter what the reasons.  But if the kid’s heart was in it, he’d do the right things and would be a part of the team.  Obviously things aren’t working out.  Attitudes?  Efforts? Personalities?  Competition ?   There are plenty of talented guys to catch 25 balls a game. Get some of the injured TEs back so the offense is complete and balanced.  

Its great when Omaha guys excell but for whatever reasons, the Omaha recruits have just not been there for a decade it seems like.  Just a fluke?  Who knows.  Move on.  

• Plus1 1

16 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

If all of the speculation is true I really hope people don't demonize the kid. Football is extremely valuable for a lot of things, but it's not and shouldn't be an all encompassing weight and identity in life (at least outside of a season), and if Betts has already figured out what's most important to him then that should be nothing other than celebrated.

I don't know the kid or the situation and all its details, but it takes a lot of wisdom to know that something demanding more than you need or want to give isn't worth it for you.

Hard to call him anything but a bust from the team perspective given his pedigree but at the same time I agree - kudos to the kid for figuring out his priorities and being courageous enough to go his own way.

Anybody getting after the kid should probably pump the brakes and re-evaluate how important that is.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Meh.  20 catches and 200-whatever yards is replaceable.   This isn't like a Spielman or Robinson loss.

We always hear about "potential" for the guys who hardly contribute on game days.

Sure, the stats are replaceable.

I wouldn’t say he “hardly contributed”.  Given he still had 3 years remaining and we saw clear flashes in both the passing and sweep game with him, against top competition, I think it’s totally fair to talk about potential here. I won’t even go into depth on the value of him having an actual wide receiver coach for once and not some hack who dipped out of the game to work at a damn credit union.

true, he didn’t get the attention of play calls like wandale had and he never put up a season like JD did. But I can easily argue his ceiling is higher than both JD and wandale, when leveraged correctly, given he’s a 6’2 wideout and not an undersized receiver.  Neither JD or wandale were legit options in the redzone where we badly need to see improvement. 

9 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

I won’t even go into depth on the value of him having an actual wide receiver coach for once

I dunno, he seems to have dipped out pretty quick once he got a legit WR coach. 

I wonder how much Mickey's recent comments about guys needing to earn roster spots had to do with this situation. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, The Dude said:

I dunno, he seems to have dipped out pretty quick once he got a legit WR coach. 

I wonder how much Mickey's recent comments about guys needing to earn roster spots had to do with this situation. 

Betts didn’t leave because Mickey is some hardass, prove-it coach. Betts left because he didn’t want to be here. That may be because of alterior circumstances, but it starts with him. Sucks to lose him. We can’t lose potential; potential is what’s needed to get us from where we are to where we want to be. In a perfect world, Betts’ desires would match his athletic ability. Hope he finds what he’s passionate about.

• Thanks 1