Betts

9 hours ago, C-4 said:

Betts didn’t leave because Mickey is some hardass, prove-it coach. Betts left because he didn’t want to be here. That may be because of alterior circumstances, but it starts with him. Sucks to lose him. We can’t lose potential; potential is what’s needed to get us from where we are to where we want to be. In a perfect world, Betts’ desires would match his athletic ability. Hope he finds what he’s passionate about.

If that "potential" doesn't even want to be here then yes we can absolutely do without it and we won't even notice it's gone.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2022 at 10:42 PM, admo said:

Thanks, I'm sure Sean has a pretty decent feel on the situation.

I also think if the player wasn't a local kid, this wouldn't be as much of a story.  Either way I don't really care.  It's like, ok, ok...

I like Mickey and the guys he has right now (and the new guys coming in the fall). I'm not even worried.

If i recall he is one of our highest rated offensive skill signees so I think we would all be pretty bummed it didn't work out, even if he weren't local. Regardless, P5 college football is incredibly demanding and if his heart isn't in it it's understandable for him to want to go find what he's passionate about.

1 minute ago, hunter49 said:

we have a disturbing trend, losing in state kids.  this is a different NU, with so much to prove.

The sad reality is for losing seasons under Frost.  It's an uphill battle at this point.  BUT Frost has done really well getting this class and the portal guys in.  I wonder if some just don't see NU turning the corner in the next year or 3 and are moving on.  Maybe that's Betts.  Or maybe he  is just done with football.

16 hours ago, Mavric said:

It's hardly a trend.  It was mostly a one-year deal.

2019 - top five in-state players signed with NU

2020 - Got Betts and Gifford.  Only real loss was Watts

2021 - Got five of the top seven.  Dickerson and Johnson were never coming here.

2022 - Hurt to lose the top four but at least three were never coming here.  Got the next three.

2023 - Have three of the top five already committed.  In good shape for the other two.

2022 sucked but most of the ones we missed never gave NU a chance.  Other than that we've gotten 15 out of 18.

I don't see that as a trend of losing guys.  Closer to the opposite would be true.

Out of curiosity, where were those four from 2022, and the other three of the top 18, from? If that's easy to pull up, I'd like to see it.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Out of curiosity, where were those four from 2022, and the other three of the top 18, from? If that's easy to pull up, I'd like to see it.

2022: Bell West, Bell West, Omaha Burke, Omaha Central (not sure this one should even count)

Other 3: Omaha Westside, Bell West, Omaha Burke

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

21 hours ago, The Dude said:

If that "potential" doesn't even want to be here then yes we can absolutely do without it and we won't even notice it's gone.

If Betz had left the team a year earlier, this would sting more due to depth problems. But it appears that Trey Palmer has just as much potential, and the fact that he wants to succeed tells me he is a step or two ahead of Betz in having maybe much more playing time. And we haven’t even seen what the other portal transfer can do yet, among a younger group of talented receivers wanting to prove themselves. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
7 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

2022: Bell West, Bell West, Omaha Burke, Omaha Central (not sure this one should even count)

Other 3: Omaha Westside, Bell West, Omaha Burke

Thanks.  Out of curiosity, the distance between Lincoln and Omaha is 58 miles.  That's clearly in-state, local kids playing for Nebraska, especially since it's the only D1 program in said state.  And isn't Omaha like waay bigger than Lincoln?  

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, admo said:

Thanks.  Out of curiosity, the distance between Lincoln and Omaha is 58 miles.  That's clearly in-state, local kids playing for Nebraska, especially since it's the only D1 program in said state.  And isn't Omaha like waay bigger than Lincoln?  

Without looking it up I'd estimate the Omaha Metro to be about 3x the Lincoln "Metro". 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1