Betts

16 minutes ago, HANC said:

If this is true, it may make sense that he withdrew from the portal.  I highly doubt that he would have many teams calling if academics are an issue (which we know they are, bc I have mentioned many times that was the case, clear back to HS).... Guessing that Rhule sees the talent....Betts options were limited, to say the least.... so come back, possibly cash in on some NIL..... join team so he can get the academic support that athletes get... become eligible for Fall practices. 

Now, this is just the rumor from Sip, so maybe, he just really appreciate Rhule compared to the old staff and wanted to stay a Husker and will be a full participant and eligible to play right away.

I have also seen the same questions from other media guys.  I'm not sure anyone really knows what his academic status actually is but I don't think anyone is sure that he has even been going to classes.

19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Word is Betts has to take "around 20 hours from now until summer to get back on track."

If that's 20 hours this semester, that's a pretty good load.  But I'm sure he'll have plenty of help.

yeah that's pretty heavy especially for someone who doesn't seem to be good at school.  But like you said he'll have help.  

49 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Word is Betts has to take "around 20 hours from now until summer to get back on track."

If that's 20 hours this semester, that's a pretty good load.  But I'm sure he'll have plenty of help.

Took 21 hours my final semester and it was awful. Don't know how you stack that on top of football, but maybe the extra help he'll get will make the difference. 

• TBH 1

1 hour ago, HuskFan3 said:

He can take around 12-15 this semester. And then 6-9 during the summer sessions. If he wants to play and the coaches want him to play - there is nothing stopping him.

I wasn't really sure on the wording.  If that is the case, it would be pretty doable.

But it also wouldn't be very newsworthy.  It seems like the way it was worded and why it was worth pointing out is because it had to be done before summer.  Perhaps he can't be on the team until he's back in good academic standing.

But it really wasn't explained very well.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

They can list him all they want but if he doesn't get the grades he won't be playing.  

Im pretty confident that he will make the grades.  The coaches look at everything before they make a decision on things.  If they didn't think he could make the grades they would have never asked him to come back but since Nebraska has a great supporting staff and the coaches are trying to change losing into winning then you leave no stone unturned.

6 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Im pretty confident that he will make the grades.  The coaches look at everything before they make a decision on things.  If they didn't think he could make the grades they would have never asked him to come back but since Nebraska has a great supporting staff and the coaches are trying to change losing into winning then you leave no stone unturned.

Well he quit once and its easier to quit a second time.  Who says he doesn't get halfway through the semester and decides school or football isn't his thing again.  I hope he makes it as I thought he could have been more of a help to the team than he was during his playing time.  I'm just not going to count on him being around until fall camp starts and he is on the field. 

• Plus1 2
On 1/17/2023 at 10:52 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I could see Rhule saying, "Look, you're obviously very talented. But, I need to know you are committed to making this work.  Currently, you are not academically eligible.  So, show my you're committed to this by working hard and getting eligible.  If you do that, I'll accept you back."

Yea this is prosthesis way but I’d probably take a harder stance. I’d probably just flat out say “you aren’t academically eligible”. If he says “I will be” then I’d say “prove it”. A coach shouldn’t be responsible for motivating a player to get academically eligible. 

I go back to the movie “Rudy”. We need more players hungry enough to do the things to succeed here on their own. Then add in the support system. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Cigarman said:

Yea this is prosthesis way but I’d probably take a harder stance. I’d probably just flat out say “you aren’t academically eligible”. If he says “I will be” then I’d say “prove it”. A coach shouldn’t be responsible for motivating a player to get academically eligible. 

I go back to the movie “Rudy”. We need more players hungry enough to do the things to succeed here on their own. Then add in the support system. 

Rudy is the worst movie, and that guy is a fraud. You should never use it as an example. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1