Betts

4 hours ago, Cigarman said:

I go back to the movie “Rudy”. We need more players hungry enough to do the things to succeed here on their own. Then add in the support system. 

If we are quoting movies why not try “The Blind Side”… kid was clearly talented and in a bad situation. With the right help, teachers, and overall support system around him he was able to succeed and become eligible to showcase his talents on the field.

• Plus1 3

He was in a similar situation coming out of high school and was able to get cleared, no reason he cannot do it again, but I think @BigRedBuster has a good point about proving it first academically before rejoining the team. Take care of yourself academically for longterm personal success and then show you can be a teammate again.

edit to add: I do find it intriguing how Rhule is giving a number of guys second chances. Especially the two WRs who left the team under Mickey’s watch. I don’t have a formed opinion, but I just find it interesting and curious how it all plays out in the end. 

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

He was in a similar situation coming out of high school and was able to get cleared, no reason he cannot do it again, but I think @BigRedBuster has a good point about proving it first academically before rejoining the team. Take care of yourself academically for longterm personal success and then show you can be a teammate again.

edit to add: I do find it intriguing how Rhule is giving a number of guys second chances. Especially the two WRs who left the team under Mickey’s watch. I don’t have a formed opinion, but I just find it interesting and curious how it all plays out in the end. 

I may be wrong but didn’t he come out of high school and was in trouble academically, but covid hit and a lot of academic issues were exempt bc of pandemic. He may have survived bc of that. He has his work cut out for him. I truly hope he can figure it out, but don’t count on it.

1 hour ago, Savage Husker said:

It is interesting.  Didn't Crawford try to come back and wasn't allowed? What about Grimes? Have to wonder if how impressions went when Rhule met the team, or if some guys skipped out

12 minutes ago, BlackHillsHusker said:

It is interesting.  Didn't Crawford try to come back and wasn't allowed? What about Grimes? Have to wonder if how impressions went when Rhule met the team, or if some guys skipped out

I don't know if Crawford tried to return and wasn't allowed, has that been verified?  I figured that since he was from Louisiana, he was tied closely to Mickey.  Once Mickey was gone, Crawford didn't have a connection to the team anymore and went back to a school in his home state.  With Grimes, I am not sure what happened there, but he has transferred to the FCS level, so maybe he didn't have the desire to play big-time D1 football.  I know there are time demands at the FCS level, but maybe he wanted to be at a place he knew he would get a lot of playing time.

With Betts, maybe he reached out to Rhule and the new staff about the possibility of coming back, and Rhule didn't have a negative relationship with him, so Rhule welcomed Betts to come back.  I think each situation is different.

• Plus1 3

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't know if Crawford tried to return and wasn't allowed, has that been verified?  I figured that since he was from Louisiana, he was tied closely to Mickey.  Once Mickey was gone, Crawford didn't have a connection to the team anymore and went back to a school in his home state.  With Grimes, I am not sure what happened there, but he has transferred to the FCS level, so maybe he didn't have the desire to play big-time D1 football.  I know there are time demands at the FCS level, but maybe he wanted to be at a place he knew he would get a lot of playing time.

With Betts, maybe he reached out to Rhule and the new staff about the possibility of coming back, and Rhule didn't have a negative relationship with him, so Rhule welcomed Betts to come back.  I think each situation is different.

It was rumor but figured I'd start a debate

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BlackHillsHusker said:

It was rumor but figured I'd start a debate

Yeah, no worries.  I don't know exactly what happened with Crawford.  I just figured he had the Louisiana connection with Mickey, and now that Mickey is no longer here, Crawford wanted to go back to his home state.  Having your family and friends able to watch you in person on a regular basis is a big factor for a lot of college players.

Crawford wasn’t ready to play P5 football . Whether it was ability or related to his injury. A number of insides didn’t over-react to him leaving. They were saying he had a long way to go to contribute. My guess that is why Rhule said no thank you (if he tried to come back) and would guess it is why he is at FCS

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, HANC said:

Crawford wasn’t ready to play P5 football . Whether it was ability or related to his injury. A number of insides didn’t over-react to him leaving. They were saying he had a long way to go to contribute. My guess that is why Rhule said no thank you (if he tried to come back) and would guess it is why he is at FCS

Louisiana Tech isn’t FCS, but you do make great points otherwise. 

• 6 months later...