OLB Ashley Williams [Arizona State - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

23 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Williams commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

If they were pursuing him the hardest, why didn't he commit to them first?

You would have to ask him.  It's what he said.  It wasn't my opinion.  He just seemed enamored by Auburn and getting their attention.  It sounded like after he committed to :bigredn: that they stayed in pursuit and that seemed to grab him and show him either his true desires or revealed to him that Auburn actually wanted him more than we did [as he is stating it].

4 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Just my opinion. I know that a lot of top recruits are shopping themselves around, looking for the best deal. I thought perhaps Auburn 1-upped us in that department. Unfortunately, we've slipped back to #39 in the recruiting rankings, and our highest-ranked commit is #175 in the country. Hard to compete against teams loaded with Top 100 guys.

Ya, which is really what surprised me ... he has a lot of better recruits ahead of him to break his way through.  My guess is he thinks that the development there will be better and the better players around him will make it easier for him to then shine.  That's why he must be thinking [but I don't know].  I was just hopeful we could get a few more prospects in the D Edge position and hit on one [maybe him].

• Mavric changed the title to OLB Ashley Williams [Auburn Commit]

So, here's the theory - not my theory - take it for what you will.

The staff always wanted Lenhart more, with Williams the other option for the second EDGE with Noonan.  Word is Williams tried to commit to Minnesota but they told him they didn't have a spot for him.  So he rushed his commitment announcement to Nebraska without getting the go-ahead from the coaches.  Which is why there weren't any Twitter reactions from the staff.

Presumably, we told him we're waiting to hear from Lenhart first so he flipped his commitment to Auburn.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, in that case, we'd better land Lenhart :ohnoes

I was surprised to see Collins de-commit from Purdue. He's now rumored to be going to LSU and will have to battle it out with several other highly-touted QBs. He would've had a much better opportunity to start and play earlier had he stuck with Purdue. It's hard to decipher what all goes into a kid's final choice of school nowadays... which is I guess is a main reason why so many end up transferring.

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

The staff always wanted Lenhart more, with Williams the other option for the second EDGE with Noonan.  Word is Williams tried to commit to Minnesota but they told him they didn't have a spot for him.  So he rushed his commitment announcement to Nebraska without getting the go-ahead from the coaches.  Which is why there weren't any Twitter reactions from the staff.

Presumably, we told him we're waiting to hear from Lenhart first so he flipped his commitment to Auburn.

I've heard that theory too, think it was on one of the husker podcasts.

If this has any truth to it, shame on us.  Coming off a 3-9 season, 5 years without qualifying for a bowl, and having a clear talent discrepancy from some of the top teams in our conference and a clear couple level discrepancy from some in the SEC, we are in ZERO position to be selective with 4 star talent.

If this is truly the case then we suck 

• Fire 1

On 8/5/2022 at 8:36 AM, Mavric said:

I understand the staff wants Lenhart more but how can the staff determine who is the better prospect? Williams is undersized but has the stats to prove he can play. Lenhart has the size but not as good stats so who can you determine is so called better??

9 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I understand the staff wants Lenhart more but how can the staff determine who is the better prospect? Williams is undersized but has the stats to prove he can play. Lenhart has the size but not as good stats so who can you determine is so called better??

Could be an intangible thing like personality fit or attitude. Also could be who they envision adding more size on once arriving. Or simply they trusted one player to be more committed to a program and sticking to a commitment, not chasing a different offer whether NIL or not. Any number of factors in play, just glad he decided to move on quickly instead of dragging it on for a long period. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • seaofred92 changed the title to OLB Ashley Williams

• Mavric changed the title to OLB Ashley Williams [Arizona State - Signed LOI]