Conference Realignment Rumors

Taking a closer look at what seems to be the 4 most talked about schools to be "next in line to join the B1G" per NSF (National Science Foundation) chart (link above)

• U of Washington Grant Funding 2021 ranked #5 (shocked when I saw this)
  • Georgia Institute of Technology is next at #20 (thought this would be higher)

then comes:

• Florida State #83 (barely ahead of Nebraska at #87)
  • Oregon #149 (just no, really, just NO)

Hmm... interesting read here. LINK (regarding Big 12 expansion) & LINK (regarding Clemson & FSU)

Might the B1G go after Clemson and FSU while also going after Cal and Washington. (can't state it enough, Oregon doesn't have the Fed Research Dollars)

and.... Back to my self ban!! Can't Risk! Won't Risk!! The Streak!!! 
GBR!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/2/2023 at 2:35 PM, Loebarth said:

Taking a closer look at what seems to be the 4 most talked about schools to be "next in line to join the B1G" per NSF (National Science Foundation) chart (link above)

• U of Washington Grant Funding 2021 ranked #5 (shocked when I saw this)
  • Georgia Institute of Technology is next at #20 (thought this would be higher)

then comes:

• Florida State #83 (barely ahead of Nebraska at #87)
  • Oregon #149 (just no, really, just NO)

I'd prefer FSU and Miami.  Florida recruiting ties in a state rapidly growing in population.  I thought the big UW and UO support was from Commish Warren and since he is no longer at the helm in the Big Ten, the push isn't there.

• 3 weeks later...

However, the stillness in the air does not reflect what's happening behind the scenes. The Big 12 remains ready to pounce and has conducted exploratory talks through backchannels with the Pac-12's four corner schools -- Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah -- during the Pac-12's negotiations, according to multiple reports and 247Sports sources. Though no secret deadline has been confirmed by Pac-12 sources, Big 12 leadership expects developments in the Pac-12 within 45 to 60 days and the conference is prepared to apply a full-court press on potential Pac-12 defectors, perhaps before the conference finalizes a TV deal, sources told 247Sports earlier this month.

A deal worth less than the Big 12’s average could lead to hesitation from Pac-12 members when asked to sign its grant of rights, especially if the new deal is longer than five years, sources tell 247Sports. Still, that's speculation among the power brokers as presidents and athletic directors have mainly shown a united front in the media, though those comments came in March, when Arizona president Robert Robbins believed a deal would be secured "within the next couple weeks."

I can see Washington getting an invite but not Oregon. Especially with Virginia & North Carolina waiving their hands as they jump and scream "hey, over here"... both are huge federal grant funded schools where as Oregon is like 150th (or worse) and there's more television revenue in the Virginia and N. Carolina markets as well. 

9 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

I can see Washington getting an invite but not Oregon. Especially with Virginia & North Carolina waiving their hands as they jump and scream "hey, over here"... both are huge federal grant funded schools where as Oregon is like 150th (or worse) and there's more television revenue in the Virginia and N. Carolina markets as well. 

I would guess it's more about having the four biggest properties in the western half of the US (Mountain/Pacific time zones) and having "partners" for USC and UCLA so they have more games in their same time zone.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I would guess it's more about having the four biggest properties in the western half of the US (Mountain/Pacific time zones) and having "partners" for USC and UCLA so they have more games in their same time zone.

Washington will gain the Oregon Televisions

and Stanford or Cal gain 7x more federal grant funding than Oregon. 

Washington nearly doubles Oregon's televisions as well. Populations respectively 7.78 mil and 4.3 mil so there's that.

I'd like to see Washington join. I'd also like to see either Cal or Stanford. (Heck, we all like to hug our trees on occasion, yes?)

The only argument for Oregon is USC and UCLA need locals.. Sure Oregon has had athletic success of late but in the B1G do you think they're success will continue especially knowing the bias officiating in B1G? 

Mav, you're a journalist, what are the federal grant fund comparisons for 2022 between Washington/Cal/Stanford/Oregon?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Loebarth said:

Washington will gain the Oregon Televisions

and Stanford or Cal gain 7x more federal grant funding than Oregon. 

Washington nearly doubles Oregon's televisions as well. Populations respectively 7.78 mil and 4.3 mil so there's that.

I'd like to see Washington join. I'd also like to see either Cal or Stanford. (Heck, we all like to hug our trees on occasion, yes?)

The only argument for Oregon is USC and UCLA need locals.. Sure Oregon has had athletic success of late but in the B1G do you think they're success will continue especially knowing the bias officiating in B1G? 

@Mavric, you're a journalist, what are the federal grant fund comparisons for 2022 between Washington/Cal/Stanford/Oregon?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

This...

The delay on Washington and Oregon joining is the B1G doesn't want to be completely responsible for breaking up the Pac12, which is funny considering that we took 2 of the top teams from them already.  I think they want the Big 12 to put the final nail in the coffin. 

10 minutes ago, nic said:

Who is to say the Big10 can't get Virginia and North Carolina in addition to Oregon and Washington? Just need teams to break the ACC GOR. Then finish the super conference with Miami, ND, Cal and Stanford.

Rumor has it that Miami has been in talks with the B1G already.   This is coming from some guys I talked to in Miami a couple weeks ago.   

New era -  Nebraska vs USC thanksgiving Friday !!!  :w00t

(or Nebraska vs UCLA - either would be so cool.  And better football weather every other year)  Plus, who wouldn't want to enjoy an occasional Thanksgiving weekend in SoCal

• 2 weeks later...