Day by Day Documentary

45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I absolutely can’t stand the looking to the sidelines. Line up, read the defense, get in the play and go. 

Looking to the sideline is how the plays are sent in right? Those boards with the 4 quadrants and pictures are just indicators as to which play to run. Its no different than huddling up and running someone on with the play from the head coach.

43 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Looking to the sideline is how the plays are sent in right? Those boards with the 4 quadrants and pictures are just indicators as to which play to run. Its no different than huddling up and running someone on with the play from the head coach.

The QB can get a signal from the sideline at the beginning of the play clock, and then read then defense and make an audible on his own rather than everyone stopping to look over with 20 seconds left.  That's the point, some self autonomy and knowing what to do with different defensive looks rather than having to get everything from the coach and losing track of time. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The QB can get a signal from the sideline at the beginning of the play clock, and then read then defense and make an audible on his own rather than everyone stopping to look over with 20 seconds left.  That's the point, some self autonomy and knowing what to do with different defensive looks rather than having to get everything from the coach and losing track of time. 

And an unintended consequence is gassing the defense- mentally and physically. Do not give them time to think or recover. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Did you watch the video clip with Coach Osborne?  It’s a few posts back. 

• Plus1 1

However they send in the original play call by Frost (or hopefully Whipple this fall - at least it may be some new sequencing and so on), the key is to get all 11 to execute their assignments well.  It’s hard to know from just watching who is and is not running the plays correctly, especially in the passing game where QB and WRs and backs / TEs are presumably ‘ad libing’ on the fly.  Presumably, Frost offense has plenty of QB-Rec reading and adjusting post snap based on the defensive reactions etc.  This can lead to the feast & famine kind of offensive output we’ve seen.  

I believe the idea for signaling in plays after lining up is to keep the defense from making substitutions and to allow Frost to ‘read’ the defense instead of the players on the field.  I suspect most of the QB ‘reads’ are post snap, especially on the 50% of plays (my estimate) with RPO aspects.  

My hunch is Frost is pretty good at creating and designing plays to attack defenses in their weaknesses.  But players - too young, immature, inexperienced - are just not ready to follow thru in the schematics at split second times.  Too much thinking. Too many reads by too many guys. Just too complicated - maybe.  

Osborne had a very intelligent, complex offense but very rarely did he rely on first/second year guys.  Blocking was very complicated too. Development and learning was critical.  Recruits expected to redshirt, play scout team, grow, learn and practice BEFORE seeing game snaps that mattered.  I’m not sure Frost & Co have told players this ‘reality’ in their quest for star recruits.  Thus, execution / consistency have failed to produce sustained drives and points.  

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

However they send in the original play call by Frost (or hopefully Whipple this fall - at least it may be some new sequencing and so on), the key is to get all 11 to execute their assignments well.  It’s hard to know from just watching who is and is not running the plays correctly, especially in the passing game where QB and WRs and backs / TEs are presumably ‘ad libing’ on the fly.  Presumably, Frost offense has plenty of QB-Rec reading and adjusting post snap based on the defensive reactions etc.  This can lead to the feast & famine kind of offensive output we’ve seen.  

I believe the idea for signaling in plays after lining up is to keep the defense from making substitutions and to allow Frost to ‘read’ the defense instead of the players on the field.  I suspect most of the QB ‘reads’ are post snap, especially on the 50% of plays (my estimate) with RPO aspects.  

My hunch is Frost is pretty good at creating and designing plays to attack defenses in their weaknesses.  But players - too young, immature, inexperienced - are just not ready to follow thru in the schematics at split second times.  Too much thinking. Too many reads by too many guys. Just too complicated - maybe.  

Osborne had a very intelligent, complex offense but very rarely did he rely on first/second year guys.  Blocking was very complicated too. Development and learning was critical.  Recruits expected to redshirt, play scout team, grow, learn and practice BEFORE seeing game snaps that mattered.  I’m not sure Frost & Co have told players this ‘reality’ in their quest for star recruits.  Thus, execution / consistency have failed to produce sustained drives and points.  

I think I like an offense that sets the tone much better than a passive one. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 9:18 PM, cornhuskers4ever said:

I just ordered the "Through These Gates" documentary today, and upon seeing the preview of the "Day By Day" 90s team, I hope that it will soon become available to purchase as well.  The current team, I hope gets a private viewing to understand what it means to bleed Husker Red.  There is something special about the 90s teams from 1993-1997 that you almost can't describe.  I from time to time still watch the old games on Youtube, not because I am stuck in the past, but it was amazing seeing the domination and attitude that Nebraska had, and they made the opposition eat their words.

Yes in today's world of pass first offenses, the option that we ran was a thing of beauty once you understood all that was going on.  Mixing trap plays, with triple option, short passing game, power I all together.  Tom was way ahead of his time.  Everyone knew what was coming but could do little to stop it.

Honestly, I wonder how our 1990 teams will be judged in history versus the dominance of Alabama during the past 10 years.  I don't think anyone has but up a 5 year record as good as 93-97 but I may be wrong.  He played for 4 NC in 5 years and came close to making it 5 out of 5 if the team didn't get sick before the Big 12 championship game (still think texas spiked the food!!)  I have no doubt that if he had coached another year he would have won the NC again in 99 (perhaps the best team (possibly the 82 team- the 1 yard out of bounds PSU catch) ever to not win the NC - thanks again to a fumble going across the end zone at texas (I hate texas).  

• Haha 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...