@BigRedBuster 'Premium' butters seem to come in three basic categories: high butterfat percentage butters, butters made from cream from grass-fed cows, and butters that are cultured like yogurt and sour cream. My conclusion so far is that butterfat percentage really doesn't make that much difference. More fat can give it a little extra smoothness, but other chemicals found in butter are what's responsible for what you'd think of as a 'buttery' flavor. And using a butter that's extra fatty can throw off a baking recipe that was developed for butters with 'typical' butterfat levels.

4 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

I don't claim to be a butter connoiseur but a lady I worked for last summer gave me a couple pounds of butter from Hope Dairy in Minnesota. It's at least an upgrade over the average grocery store brands. Nothing better than cold butter on warm bread, cinnamon rolls or muffins.

I'm the same, butter on toast or baked potato is all I do for layering.  Hot melted butter is good on fish/shrimp dishes but the brand doesn't matter.  I do like to fuse oil and butter together with garlic and onions, so any kind will do.  Same with warm tortillas or garlic bread.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...

16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Butter's butter.  Stop pretending you can detect notes of whatever just because you were duped into buy the expensive butter.

And if your using so much butter that the quality actually matters, you’re probably eating way too much butter and should have a coronary evaluation immediately.

Note: this rationale is not transitive to bacon.

• Haha 1
On 4/12/2022 at 10:09 AM, knapplc said:

This is the butter I use. Thank you for calling me a trashy butter slattern. I'll just go back over here to my trashy home eating my trashy butter in my trashy old bath robe. 

As someone who I thought knew how to cool, I cannot believe you said this. Keri is soooo much better than regular American butter. I buy it at Costco and try to stock up when it goes on rebate.

My father in law bought me 2 pounds of Amish butter. That stuff was excellent!