Nebraska's Approach to "Getting Back"

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

Looking at high school kids in the 2018-2020 classes, we signed 5 RBs, 12 RBs, and 2 TEs.  Only 1 RB, 1 WR, and 1 TE remain on the team.  Only 7 of those 19 ever played more than 5 games.

HS RBs 

2018 Maurice Washington - 18 games / 1136 yards / kicked off

2019 Rahmir Johnson - 22 games / 831 yards

2019 Ronald Thompkins - 2 games / 34 yards / transferred

2020 Sevion Morrison - 6 games / 129 yards / transferred

2020 Marvin Scott - 8 games / 154 yards / transferred

HS WRs

2018 Andre Hunt - 0 games / 0 yards / kicked off

2018 Miles Jones - 1 game / 26 yards / transferred

2018 Justin McGriff - 0 games / 0 yards / transferred

2018 Dominick Watt - 0 games / 0 yards / never made to campus

2019 Wandale Robinson - 18 games / 1494 yards / transferred

2019 Darien Chase - 1 game / 13 yards / transferred

2019 Demariyon Houston - 0 games / 0 yards / transferred

2019 Jamie Nance - 0 games / 0 yards / transferred

2020 Zavier Betts - 18 games / 526 yards / ??????

2020 Marcus Fleming - 1 game / 75 yards / transferred

2020 Alante Brown - 11 games / 89 yards

2020 Will Nixon - 1 game / 5 yards / transferred

HS TEs

2018 Katerion Legrone - 1 game / 8 yards / kicked off

2019 Chris Hickman - 3 games / 90 yards

And it took 4 years to fire the guys in charge of that outstanding production.  SMH......

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, lo country said:

And it took 4 years to fire the guys in charge of that outstanding production.  SMH......

To be fair, we are going on our 3rd WR coach and OC* this year.

Walters WR/OC 2018-2019

Lubick WR/OC 2020-2021

*Yes, I know Walters and Lubick were OCs in name only.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TheSker said:

You must not have been invited to the ice cream social celebrating the last great adventure.

At some point you will have to admit the Scott Frost Experience exists on a separate but equally depressing plane as the Mike Riley Adventure.  

And surely you remember Frost having the players make snow angels — what some folks dubbed Ice Cream 2.0.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Apathy said:

Seems like Frost didn’t take this job seriously

I think he underestimated the difficulty of being a big ten HC or overestimated his ability to do so, or maybe both.  Thus far, imo, he has been schooled by more HCs than not.   His reputed play design / calling skills have not fooled anyone in the league and our few big wins have been vs bottom of barrel teams mostly.    The Big Ten easily adjusted to whatever schematics Frost has presented and has all but stifled his offense.  Either his plays are too complex for his players to execute or too simple for opposing teams to defend.  He piles up pass yards between the 20s but can’t score. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I agree. For whatever reason, Frost has been really terrible at recruiting high school talent and developing it, especially on offense.

They've tried to recruit high school running backs and receivers, but they don't pan. Our three best receivers now (Palmer, Manning, Martin) are transfers or JUCOs. His best high school RB recruit is likely Rahmir Johnson mustered 492 yards last year, but was a good receiver out of the backfield. We all know how the offensive line - despite high ranked recruits on paper - has been a complete failure.

It can't be overstated how much he's failing the program.

It's very possible that some coaches are better and more experienced than other coaches.

Walters, Lubick (both WRs & co-OCs) gone.  RB Ryan Held gone.  OL Greg Austin gone.  QB Verduzco gone.  They all had a huge impact on the roster at their coaching positions, regarding progress, technique, development, depth, toughness, teaching and recruiting.

Replaced by Whipp, Mickey Joseph, Applewhite, and Raiola (time will tell on DR imo).  I think it's a positive step for the players and HCSF, with regards to moving in the right direction.  Pretty sure it's been welcomed warm heartedly by everyone.  If we are going to get back, build from within, add some pieces here and there, and improve year by year.... this is a great opportunity to do so. 

At the moment, fresh off a 3-9 season and the below average results of the recent past, I do not mind seeing transfers and jucos getting more opportunities right now.  IMO, this is the starting point.  And the early schedule favors a lot of winning opportunities.  The 4 game stretch at the end of season is where we will be talking turkey.  Did we improve or not will ride on it.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

At some point you will have to admit the Scott Frost Experience exists on a separate but equally depressing plane as the Mike Riley Adventure.  

And surely you remember Frost having the players make snow angels — what some folks dubbed Ice Cream 2.0.

I couldn't stand the Riley hire.  But in hindsight, 2 bowls and 19-19......And no I do not want him back haha,  Just never ever imagined we'd be heading into year 5 with NU looking like this under Frost.  I think even average improvement on O and ST we go bowling....The new benchmark of success for now.

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think he underestimated the difficulty of being a big ten HC or overestimated his ability to do so, or maybe both.  Thus far, imo, he has been schooled by more HCs than not.   His reputed play design / calling skills have not fooled anyone in the league and our few big wins have been vs bottom of barrel teams mostly.    The Big Ten easily adjusted to whatever schematics Frost has presented and has all but stifled his offense.  Either his plays are too complex for his players to execute or too simple for opposing teams to defend.  He piles up pass yards between the 20s but can’t score. 

Apparently the B1G didn't "easily adjust" to Frost's schematics between the 20s.

But continue your novel writing narrative.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But "some folks" you probably mean you.

There's literally no comparison to those things.....so yes very separate planes.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, lo country said:

I couldn't stand the Riley hire.  But in hindsight, 2 bowls and 19-19......And no I do not want him back haha,  Just never ever imagined we'd be heading into year 5 with NU looking like this under Frost.  I think even average improvement on O and ST we go bowling....The new benchmark of success for now.

I understand completely about the need to go bowling and I think the new offensive coaches will be night and day better.

But Mike Riley lost his last four games at Nebraska by almost 100 points.  Literally.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I understand completely about the need to go bowling and I think the new offensive coaches will be night and day better.

But Mike Riley lost his last four games at Nebraska by almost 100 points.  Literally.

Totally agree about the new staff.  Question mark on DR with no "real" track record, but comments appear he is improving things.  If the OL can step up, I think the improvement in the skill positions will be obvious.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, lo country said:

Totally agree about the new staff.  Question mark on DR with no "real" track record, but comments appear he is improving things.  If the OL can step up, I think the improvement in the skill positions will be obvious.

Raiola has a very different philosophy than Austin did.

The other good move about hiring Raiola is it's a "two-fer".  Dom Raiola is VERY involved on an almost daily basis.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, TheSker said:

Frost is actually pretty darnn good at play design.

If Mickey Joseph and Mark Whipple can bring in and develop better than Lubick and Verduzco did, we're fine.

I think those odds are rather high.

41 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Apparently the B1G didn't "easily adjust" to Frost's schematics between the 20s.

But continue your novel writing narrative.

28 minutes ago, TheSker said:

9 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Raiola has a very different philosophy than Austin did.

The other good move about hiring Raiola is it's a "two-fer".  Dom Raiola is VERY involved on an almost daily basis.

Well that settles it. We have them right where we want them and we’re right where we want to be. This Frost deal has worked out splendidly. We’ll just ignore the fact that his record is significantly worse than all those previous really bad coaches.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1