Nebraska's Approach to "Getting Back"

14 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

That was arguable two or three years ago but sooner or later one has to be honest - the Huskers are just not a good team.  A 5 year pattern that repeats itself - consistently, over time, despite all best efforts to change it.   That’s practically proof beyond a reasonable doubt.  

Stats and data tell a different story from last years team.  They were actually a pretty solid team that found ways to lose.

It is very depressing to say this as there is NO bigger fan than me.  I want to believe and find hope but no other program in the entire country with NU’s long history and tradition would even consider a sixth season after 5 straight and the trend line flat to downward.  Time to get it done imo.  

Frost has only coached 4 years with 2 of them being extremely out of the ordinary.  What are you talking about?

It is very depressing to say this as there is NO bigger fan than me.

Thurston from Pender, is that you?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Stats and data tell a different story from last years team.  They were actually a pretty solid team that found ways to lose.

Frost has only coached 4 years with 2 of them being extremely out of the ordinary.  What are you talking about?

Thurston from Pender, is that you?

Exactly, found a way to lose to nearly every opponent, except the very bottom of the country.   All 4 Frost seasons are out of the ordinary for Nebraska.  Well below ordinary when you back up and take a big picture look.

All four frost teams are quite similar - stats and etc. Ran the same basic offense 4 years with same QB and schemes etc. = same results.  Home and away - good vs bad competition.  

You can pick and choose a few stats that by themselves, without context, look decent.  But just as many stats are NOT good, consistently.  

Even Frost admits as much with his wholesale changes and results:

1 Dump his prize record setting QB.

2 Dump his buddy coaching staff. 
3 Hire a new OC / QB coach to take his place 

4 Abandons, chases off or worse,  loses a bevy of 4 star talent and will, once again, put a very inexperienced, immature, untested team on the field, this time with new schemes and etc. 

5  Offers 300 to 400 scholarships to high school kids, annually, and now, who knows how many portal guys.  That - should not - be ordinary and business as usual in year 5 imo.  This indicates desperation - shot in the dark - wide net fishing. 
6  Trouble landing Neb kids and reports of poor relationships with some Neb h s coaches.  By year 5 we should not be where we are at - period.  
7 Not one bowl game. 
8. Covid was tough but nearly all teams suffered. It should have helped local recruiting - but did it?

9. Fans have been absolutely amazingly loyal, tolerant and patient, with hardly a single boo, chant or wholesale walk out. But, attendance drops 600,000 in year 4 after no fans for a year prior. Not good imo. Ticket sales in serious jeopardy.  
10  Big staff and player #s increases. Big pay. Huge recruiting help with private planes etc.  have shown little results, unless it helped keep it from getting even worse. 

11 Huge new facilities being approved despite all the losses so both his ADs have given him every resource and let him run his program fully. 
12  Only whispers of any NCAA issues but ?? time will tell on the STs ‘coaching’ by non coach.  That would be very unhelpful to have such poor STs play and yet be in trouble for impermissible coaching!  

Frost has had plenty of bad luck to overcome but successful coaches find ways to overcome.  The Big Ten has worked tirelessly to undermine Neb sports generally.  Personally I expected a rite of passage - initiation type gauntlet for 4-5 years when we joined.  But it continues after a decade.  Sadly, we don’t have any choices at this time.  Not Frost’s fault but neither was it of Bo and Riley who still won more games. 

Again, I have no great dislike of Frost at all and have given him every benefit of the doubt.  Year 5 needs REAL results.  His new staff on offense get 2 years but I’m not sure I reward Frost for firing coaches and eschewing players he himself recruited. 

• Plus1 3
56 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Exactly, found a way to lose to nearly every opponent, except the very bottom of the country.   All 4 Frost seasons are out of the ordinary for Nebraska.  Well below ordinary when you back up and take a big picture look.

All four frost teams are quite similar - stats and etc. Ran the same basic offense 4 years with same QB and schemes etc. = same results.  Home and away - good vs bad competition.  

You can pick and choose a few stats that by themselves, without context, look decent.  But just as many stats are NOT good, consistently.  

Even Frost admits as much with his wholesale changes and results:

1 Dump his prize record setting QB.

2 Dump his buddy coaching staff. 
3 Hire a new OC / QB coach to take his place 

4 Abandons, chases off or worse,  loses a bevy of 4 star talent and will, once again, put a very inexperienced, immature, untested team on the field, this time with new schemes and etc. 

5  Offers 300 to 400 scholarships to high school kids, annually, and now, who knows how many portal guys.  That - should not - be ordinary and business as usual in year 5 imo.  This indicates desperation - shot in the dark - wide net fishing. 
6  Trouble landing Neb kids and reports of poor relationships with some Neb h s coaches.  By year 5 we should not be where we are at - period.  
7 Not one bowl game. 
8. Covid was tough but nearly all teams suffered. It should have helped local recruiting - but did it?

9. Fans have been absolutely amazingly loyal, tolerant and patient, with hardly a single boo, chant or wholesale walk out. But, attendance drops 600,000 in year 4 after no fans for a year prior. Not good imo. Ticket sales in serious jeopardy.  
10  Big staff and player #s increases. Big pay. Huge recruiting help with private planes etc.  have shown little results, unless it helped keep it from getting even worse. 

11 Huge new facilities being approved despite all the losses so both his ADs have given him every resource and let him run his program fully. 
12  Only whispers of any NCAA issues but ?? time will tell on the STs ‘coaching’ by non coach.  That would be very unhelpful to have such poor STs play and yet be in trouble for impermissible coaching!  

Frost has had plenty of bad luck to overcome but successful coaches find ways to overcome.  The Big Ten has worked tirelessly to undermine Neb sports generally.  Personally I expected a rite of passage - initiation type gauntlet for 4-5 years when we joined.  But it continues after a decade.  Sadly, we don’t have any choices at this time.  Not Frost’s fault but neither was it of Bo and Riley who still won more games. 

Again, I have no great dislike of Frost at all and have given him every benefit of the doubt.  Year 5 needs REAL results.  His new staff on offense get 2 years but I’m not sure I reward Frost for firing coaches and eschewing players he himself recruited. 

K

• Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

I’ll tell you the only way Nebraska gets back-

Our fans and donors pool together about $40M to distribute annually for 5 years to the top players in each class. Otherwise we’re absolutely screwed. 

I can't imagine boosters and fans doing that when the current head coach's greatest achievements so far have been close loses. People want to have something to show for their investment.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I can't imagine boosters and fans doing that when the current head coach's greatest achievements so far have been close loses. People want to have something to show for their investment.

Kind of a chicken/egg problem. Frost can't win without the better athletes, but the better athletes won't come/stay unless he wins.

I say, put the money out there, get the 4/5 stars, and if we still don't win much, Frost is the problem. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Kind of a chicken/egg problem. Frost can't win without the better athletes, but the better athletes won't come/stay unless he wins.

I say, put the money out there, get the 4/5 stars, and if we still don't win much, Frost is the problem. 

This x1000. We have a talent accumulation and retention problem across the roster. The quickest way to solve any issues we have is by ponying up and paying kids.

Can’t believe there are people that either aren’t in favor of this or don’t see the importance of it. NU absolutely has to not just compete in this space but be one of the top 5 players in it if we ever want to do anything remotely resembling national relevance again. Simply being on par with other schools is not enough considering the massive disadvantages we have working against us (record, geography, declining brand and relevance, lack of local talent).

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Why would 4 and 5 stars go to a losing program for money when they can get paid at winning ones?  It's not like frost hasn't recruited well on paper, how many times have people said the talent is better than the record?  Frost needs to do his job.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

Why would 4 and 5 stars go to a losing program for money when they can get paid at winning ones?  It's not like frost hasn't recruited well on paper, how many times have people said the talent is better than the record?  Frost needs to do his job.

Frost is the HC.  Ultimately it all falls upon him to do the job he is well paid to do.  In his defense, he inherited a mediocre program that had a legacy of being a mediocre program.  Some expected a quick improvement - mostly as a result of his reputed offensive mind.  Clearly that has not been the case although there were some fairly respectable stats in yardage and pass completion % anyway. 

Frost has, reluctantly or not, made some major changes in his offense, presumably.  Whether success will follow remains to be seen but I feel he is recognizing the areas in most need of change.  Special teams can make a big difference in the short term certainly.  

Frost has made a tremendous effort to recruit and reload the entire roster. Unfortunately, bringing in a star studded roster is just step one.  Once in the program, it takes retention and development and ‘culture’ establishment.  Mysteriously, for all the attention and emphasis’ thereto, it has not gelled apparently.  The team is still very young, immature and inexperienced in many areas.  I think it’s past time to focus and plan multiple years ahead and play the players with the future (years ‘23, ‘24 and ‘25 in mind), not just the next game or season. Development needs in game snaps, not just practice reps.  

The offense has shown some capabilities with veteran WRs and RBs (Toure, Ozigbo for examples) but the revolving doors of 4 stars at both positions has not allowed any to blossom with time.  The O line just hasn’t had enough players in the group to build depth and maturity.  That spot needs years, not months to build.  

STs has been all but ignored, gross negligence would be the best description in many ways.  STs plays may only be 15 or 20% of a typical game in raw snap numbers, but it truly is a full third (33%) of the game in importance and impact.  Field position, point production, momentum, etc.  ST play can be a great equalizer in outcomes between relatively unequal teams.  Lose STs and lose games, often. Bad luck has had a part too but failure to plan is a plan to fail.  

Frost is making changes.  No need to panic but remain focused and follow the plan. 

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

They have signed with Texas A&M this year.  I don't recall seeing A&M in the playoffs.  They might not be a losing program but they haven't "won" and national championship since pre 1940.  They put the money out there and got a pretty good recruiting class

14 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

I’ll tell you the only way Nebraska gets back-

Our fans and donors pool together about $40M to distribute annually for 5 years to the top players in each class. Otherwise we’re absolutely screwed. 

12 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Has nothing to do with the coaches.  It's about get better athletes with money!

This is completely false. We’ve had plenty good enough athletes to win a lot more games than we have. Sure, it will take better athletes to get on par with tOSU or the national top ten but the quality of our players has not been the problem in about 90% of our loses. It doesn’t require highly paid better players to beat the likes of Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, Iowa, NW, Wisconsin, anyone in the B1G not named Buckeye.

• Plus1 2