Nebraska's Approach to "Getting Back"

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Well that settles it. We have them right where we want them and we’re right where we want to be. This Frost deal has worked out splendidly. We’ll just ignore the fact that his record is significantly worse than all those previous really bad coaches.

Ummm.  Yeah.

12 hours ago, runningblind said:

Yep. This isn't an approach to "getting back", this is a last ditch attempt to salvage this mess they've made. Scott had been in over his head and we are just watching if this is too little too late or if it improves.

I'm amazed at how I've finally gotten to the point where I have zero optimism and am looking for other things to take up some of the energy I used to devote to Husker football.

As you write this on Huskerboard in the off-season. GTFOH

• Haha 3
On 4/15/2022 at 5:10 PM, unl7fan said:

Competition level > Overall Record 

We are competing against everyone now. No one blows us out. Forget the win/loss total. This was always going to be a full culture change taking at minimum 4-5 years to solve the major issues (Strength and Culture). We are behind schedule due to a thrown together 2018 class that all but left. We are also behind due to paying zero attention to Special Teams, which has now been addressed. We have turned the corner with a well known coaching staff and addressed all issues from past years.   Our team will finally have an offensive line with experience and the talent to protect the QB, allowing for more downfield passing and less running QB injuries.

Still predicting 10-2 with healthy starters

kool aid anyone?

• Plus1 3
On 4/16/2022 at 5:19 PM, hunter49 said:

kool aid anyone?

It's tough, when you look at the last couple seasons (as weird as they were) it feels like we are making progress.  But if you look at the only measure of success that matters, wins and losses, objectively we are worse.   I keep trying to remind myself that this program wasn't broken in 3 years, this was something where there were issues for the better part of 20 years.  The fix wasn't gonna happen overnight, and while it has been painful...gotta keep the faith that the right decisions are being made. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/14/2022 at 10:50 AM, runningblind said:

Yep. This isn't an approach to "getting back", this is a last ditch attempt to salvage this mess they've made. Scott had been in over his head and we are just watching if this is too little too late or if it improves.

I'm amazed at how I've finally gotten to the point where I have zero optimism and am looking for other things to take up some of the energy I used to devote to Husker football.

I watched 0 minutes of the Spring Game last weekend.

• Plus1 3

The format sucked and a lot of guys didn’t play, but it didn’t look anything like a B1G West favorite to me.  

What stood out to me was some OL getting owned by a defense not historically great at pass rush.  I’m not quite sure what to make of it, but it was concerning.   Also, inconsistent punts and place kicks.  Maybe it was the wind.  

Basically after watching, I regurgitated all my koolaid and am now back to “ I’ll believe it when I see it” mode for 2022.  

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 4/14/2022 at 10:00 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think he underestimated the difficulty of being a big ten HC or overestimated his ability to do so, or maybe both.  Thus far, imo, he has been schooled by more HCs than not.   His reputed play design / calling skills have not fooled anyone in the league and our few big wins have been vs bottom of barrel teams mostly.    The Big Ten easily adjusted to whatever schematics Frost has presented and has all but stifled his offense.  Either his plays are too complex for his players to execute or too simple for opposing teams to defend.  He piles up pass yards between the 20s but can’t score. 

Adding to this, he invested too heavily in players who weren't ready, expecting a big payoff that never materialized.  Perhaps his biggest fault is that he's taken the weakest opponents for granted.  Playing down to the level of your competition always starts with the tone coaches set in the game plan imo.  

To piggy back off your point, I never liked how Frost's quick drop back game tied into the Chip Kelly offense.  Milton bailed UCF out of a lot of plays, did a lot of freelancing, made a lot of plays off schedule, however you prefer to look at it.  At NU, the productivity of those play has to be ugly.  

1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Bad?  Just vanilla, format sucked & too many players not available 

It was Bad.  The spring game is held to provide fan entertainment, enhance recruiting, and maybe make a couple dollars.  Nothing wrong with the staff deciding to stay vanilla to keep players safe but the overall production and entertainment value stunk.  Have a linemen field goal contest, abuse a cat, let a sick kid score a touchdown, do something that isn't boring as hell.  You know, make it fun for all involved.  It's not on Scott- that's on Trev and team imo.  

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

The format sucked and a lot of guys didn’t play, but it didn’t look anything like a B1G West favorite to me.  

What stood out to me was some OL getting owned by a defense not historically great at pass rush.  I’m not quite sure what to make of it, but it was concerning.   Also, inconsistent punts and place kicks.  Maybe it was the wind.  

Basically after watching, I regurgitated all my koolaid and am now back to “ I’ll believe it when I see it” mode for 2022.  

I'm guessing we're somewhere between not as good as we all hoped and better than what we showed in the spring game.  Middle of the road B1G team would be a safe bet.

50 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

Adding to this, he invested too heavily in players who weren't ready, expecting a big payoff that never materialized.

Then when he did land a big time recruit in Wan'dale Robinson he was unable to utilize his skill-set properly instead turning into a hybrid rec./RB. So the kid leaves and goes to Kentucky where is sets the school single year record for receptions and receiving yards.

• Plus1 4
15 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

I watched little of the spring game. It was really bad. I have little hope for next year. And I think this is a last ditch attempt to do something, anything, to make this ship turnaround. We have been awful under Frost. It's funny that our DC was noted as being the weak link on the staff when they all came here from Central Florida. Granted, there were a few pinball like games for UCF on its way to unbeaten. And now EC is our best coach. As for Scott, he can't develop players. He can't get an offense going. And by going, I mean scoring points. Why can't we do anything in the red zone... we are not physical enough. The bad news is that Mark Whipple has little chance of changing that physical side. Our RBs are not all that great. Sorry. And our OL needs massive work. Casey Thompson came here, and these are his words, because he knows Mark is willing to throw the ball as many as 60 times in a game. I think the special teams will improve. I think the defense will be OK, although it's quite possible it might slide a bit due to losses like JoJo. The offense is going to struggle. And Coach Frost will still have problems managing the game decisions and the clock. He might get fired sometime in November. If we are lucky, the whole thing magically clicks in 2022 and we reverse a four-year trend that extended Mike Riley's 4-8 final season. 

You just deal with it and move on. I love football. I will always love Nebraska. But the fact is...we are a program that used to be good in football.

Until we get the next great program building coach... that will likely be our story. 

It's much harder to build greatness than it is to maintain it.

Our spring game was bad because the plan sucked.  Alabama players would have looked bad with those protective rules.

Add to your other takes, have another beer and relax... 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1