Nebraska's Approach to "Getting Back"

On 4/15/2022 at 5:10 PM, unl7fan said:

Competition level > Overall Record 

We are competing against everyone now. No one blows us out. Forget the win/loss total. This was always going to be a full culture change taking at minimum 4-5 years to solve the major issues (Strength and Culture). We are behind schedule due to a thrown together 2018 class that all but left. We are also behind due to paying zero attention to Special Teams, which has now been addressed. We have turned the corner with a well known coaching staff and addressed all issues from past years.   Our team will finally have an offensive line with experience and the talent to protect the QB, allowing for more downfield passing and less running QB injuries.

Still predicting 10-2 with healthy starters

You're setting yourself up for major disappointment. Our offensive line is still going to be a major Achilles heel

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You're setting yourself up for major disappointment. Our offensive line is still going to be a major Achilles heel

It was last year, and we were still in every game. It should be improved this year - probably not great, but there's no reason they should be as bad as last year. We'll take a step back at center, but all 4 other spots were playing well below their ability. If Frost made the right hire in Raiola, the OL won't hold us back significantly. If he wasn't the right hire Frost is probably done.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
On 4/14/2022 at 8:12 PM, TheSker said:

Apparently the B1G didn't "easily adjust" to Frost's schematics between the 20s.

But continue your novel writing narrative.

I honestly think Frost would have gone 7-5 if the game was only played between the 20s. 

That would have come with an automatic invite to the Summer's Eve Between the 20s Bowl.

I know this sounds like an excuse but personally I think some of the issues is out of frost and companies control. I honestly don't believe the B1G wants to continue a relationship with Nebraska and the bias in the officiating has had negative affects. Wisconsin game last year, Michigan game last year, etc... Remember the Northwestern game when we doubled their offensive output and lost the game all while having over 20 holding penalties thrown.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
16 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

I know this sounds like an excuse but personally I think some of the issues is out of frost and companies control. I honestly don't believe the B1G wants to continue a relationship with Nebraska and the bias in the officiating has had negative affects. Wisconsin game last year, Michigan game last year, etc... Remember the Northwestern game when we doubled their offensive output and lost the game all while having over 20 holding penalties thrown.

Does anyone make Husker themed tin foil for your hat?

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

Not many would say this and others scoff at this notion but when officials were promoted/hired last season based on gender and minority factors, it lends credence to other areas of manipulation in an arena where success is based on merit.

Like me, I imagine you don’t believes the refs are the reason why Nebraska sucks and loses, but there are many ostriches with their head in the sand choosing not to believe the funny business that does occur with officials…as if Donaghy was a lone wolf. 

• Plus1 2

58 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'd still consider 7-5 this upcoming season to be a disappointment, given this schedule. I know that in our current state their are no "gimmes" or "guaranteed" wins, but still.

I would only be ok with 7 if they win the bowl and look solid doing so. Getting 6 or 7 (W/o a bowl win) would be the worst thing to happen to this program. I even think another bowl less season would be better. That way a new staff can be hired. I won't be able to handle being stuck in the middle.

• Plus1 1

It's hard to get into the mentality that Nebraska is ... well, Kansas. Maybe a little better than Kansas. Maybe.

Older fans (one speaking here) think of the season and we want to say, "Outside of Oklahoma, Michigan and Wisconsin, who is going to beat us?"

The answer is Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota and Iowa. Northwestern beat us in 2020. Rutgers nearly beat us that year too. Oh, Indiana beat us in 2019. Georgia Southern and North Dakota feel like they should be wins. But both have their modest accomplishments of recent years and could be a problem. You would like to say 3-0 to start and then you look at the conference and wonder if there are three more wins on there. Could be as little as one or two.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
20 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

Older fans (one speaking here) think of the season and we want to say, "Outside of Oklahoma, Michigan and Wisconsin, who is going to beat us?"

I think this statement is still accurate.  We have beat ourselves recently against the lesser competition.

2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I think this statement is still accurate.  We have beat ourselves recently against the lesser competition.

That was arguable two or three years ago but sooner or later one has to be honest - the Huskers are just not a good team.  A 5 year pattern that repeats itself - consistently, over time, despite all best efforts to change it.   That’s practically proof beyond a reasonable doubt.  

At this point, playing the so-called good teams close only says those teams played well below their best yet still beat us.  Would’a, could’a, should’a can apply a few times, here and there. But - year 5 of Frost - the time to produce is upon us.  

It is very depressing to say this as there is NO bigger fan than me.  I want to believe and find hope but no other program in the entire country with NU’s long history and tradition would even consider a sixth season after 5 straight and the trend line flat to downward.  Time to get it done imo.  

Players leaving, snubbing our recruiting offers, etc etc does not bode well.  

I know that Frost is trying his damndest but time shine or move in a new direction.