ESPN'S FPI - Big Ten West

There are second graders who haven't seen Nebraska beat Wisconsin or Iowa in their lifetime. I think it's more realistic that we end one of those losing streaks this year and not that we beat at least two of Wisconsin/Iowa/Minnesota on our way to a Big Ten West division win. 

I love the optimism by their FPI, but this team has worked hard to find creative ways to lose games, and this coach has not shown the in-game management necessary to overcome our own ineptitude. 

This seems wildly optimistic. Especially when a lot of folks see the Northwestern game as a tossup - and this FPI says the Wildcats are going to struggle in the West. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

On 4/14/2022 at 12:01 PM, knapplc said:

There are second graders who haven't seen Nebraska beat Wisconsin or Iowa in their lifetime. I think it's more realistic that we end one of those losing streaks this year and not that we beat at least two of Wisconsin/Iowa/Minnesota on our way to a Big Ten West division win. 

I love the optimism by their FPI, but this team has worked hard to find creative ways to lose games, and this coach has not shown the in-game management necessary to overcome our own ineptitude. 

This seems wildly optimistic. Especially when a lot of folks see the Northwestern game as a tossup - and this FPI says the Wildcats are going to struggle in the West. 

Biggest factor is the schedule is the easiest it's been in years if not ever in since being in the Big Ten. If it wasn't for those things you mentioned, that percentage would be much higher. 29% isn't saying much at all. All in all agree here

• Plus1 1

At this point I'd be ecstatic to win 6 or 7 games.  But these predictions hang on us not tripping over our own d.....err, feet AND staying healthy.  Two things this program has been completely and utterly incapable of for the better part of a decade (over 2 decades depending who you ask).

Just beat Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Iowa and 3 of the other's we should have no problem with and get us to a damn bowl game.  Not even worried or concerned about a division title let alone a conference title.  Walk before you run.

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, Redux said:

At this point I'd be ecstatic to win 6 or 7 games.  But these predictions hang on us not tripping over our own d.....err, feet AND staying healthy.  Two things this program has been completely and utterly incapable of for the better part of a decade (over 2 decades depending who you ask).

Just beat Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Iowa and 3 of the other's we should have no problem with and get us to a damn bowl game.  Not even worried or concerned about a division title let alone a conference title.  Walk before you run.

If we can pull off beating those 3 then I'll be disappointed if were not playoff contenders

• Plus1 3

The thing about the ESPN FPI is mixes returning talent and upcoming schedule and supplementing that with recruit rankings.  Pick Six Previews has chart that compares recruit rankings to draft classes to chart player development and two West teams (Iowa and Wisconsin) are both top five in this category and Nebraska is actually the second worst only in front of Tennessee.  FPI using recruit rankings as a source is going to over estimate our success and underestimate other West teams until our player development improves.  However alternatively, you could just watch the games the last few years and understand that picking us to win the West is a miscalculation.

• Plus1 2
On 4/15/2022 at 2:52 PM, RichardHangslow said:

The best part about this is that Iowa fans heads have to be exploding seeing Nebraska always being picked above them lol

Yeppers, and "probabilities" were with us several times last year (and for several seasons) and we lived below them repeatedly.  I'm staying away from expectations as best I can now.  I feel like a zombie or something, having to kill off that part of my sensibilities just to enjoy our Huskers.  

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Hagg said:

Yeppers, and "probabilities" were with us several times last year (and for several seasons) and we lived below them repeatedly.  I'm staying away from expectations as best I can now.  I feel like a zombie or something, having to kill off that part of my sensibilities just to enjoy our Huskers.  

84FA2C8B-5ABE-44AE-9F5F-87D973A0C427.webp

• Haha 2